MEOW #67: "Copy That"

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

rjy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:40 pm
I was going to peek at the nudges, but if it’s that good and head-slapping, maybe one more trip around the block with it…
Hey, your mileage may vary!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
rjy

Post by rjy »

woozy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:26 pm
rjy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:40 pm
I was going to peek at the nudges, but if it’s that good and head-slapping, maybe one more trip around the block with it…
Hey, your mileage may vary!
Sigh, my mileage did not vary. I gave in to the nudges. Cat’s finally debagged, albeit with a muted AHA, yet with appreciation of an inspired construction, Joshua!
Ray
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat is free, thanks to the nudges. I enjoyed the grid (39D-groan) and meta. Thanks, Josh.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Thanks for the nudges!
Cat's now gone.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Needed the nudges but this cat has flown.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Nudgified
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Realized I forgot to post the solution - if you never solved and are still agonizing over it I will gladly reveal all for a modest fee
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Here’s a solution:

The answer is RADIO — the device where people say “Copy That” especially when those people are using military-speak, whim means they would also be using the NATO alphabet: ALPHA for A, BRAVO for B, etc.

The key is in the clue for 9D. “Back to front?” At one level, this is a cryptic-style clue. What letters could provide a back, i.e. a rear part, to the word “front”? If you put IER behind FRONT you get FRONTIER.

The clue also defines the mechanism. The backs of each long entry are moved to the front, where they combine with the first letters of the entry to form a NATO-alphabet word.
MEOW 700.jpg
Jay
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Looking back at this, I' wish to add that you can find these codewords hidden if you place two copies of the themers side by side (which was the intended path).

Thanks for the graphic Jay!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer