MEOW #70 Whose House Is This?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Under the rules existing at the time:

"No man mayest build on any lot such homes that he himself will not live in. He may, with prior approval of the council, take in boarders not to exceed a density of 5 souls, of the same gender and persuasion lest he be condemned by the council and said structure be confiscated. Further, if said builder and owner should take upon himself to harbour livestock or rother domestic animals these may not exceed the total number of occupants by more than 2 times their number."

and....if you believe any of that hogwash I have a really nice house on beachfront property near Iowa City I'd like to sell you.... :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:07 pm OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

OK MEOWers, it is reveal time. This was an infernal puzzle, i.e. you had to infer the answer from the clues you found along the way, and in this case there were 10 little tidbits:

Whose House Forum solve.jpg

This is the FARMER sowing his corn
That kept the COCK that crowed in the morn
That woke the JUDGE all shaven and shorn
That married the MAN all tattered and torn
That kissed the MAIDEN all forlorn
That milked the COW with the crumpled horn
That tossed the DOG that worried the CAT
That chased the RAT that ate the CHEESE
That lay in the house that JACK built.

So, it is JACK'S house!

Yes, there is some discussion as to whether it should be Judge/Priest, Cheese/Malt, Cock/Rooster, Rat/mouse, Chased/Killed but these are all acceptable it appears and one can find any combination if you look long enough. Luckily either your memory wasn’t that good (assuming most of us recited this Nursery Rhyme some time ago) that you said “Oh, no that can’t be ‘The House That Jack Built’ because that one says Priest or Malt” or you used Mr. G who was happy to match up almost any combination to give the right answer.

I got several Farmer in the Dells – however he did not have a judge until he took a local gas company to court for fracking on his property. Plus, that is of German origin and we wanted English

Similarly I got Old McDonald but he had Ducks, Sheep and any number of other things. Plus he did not have a judge either, or not for years after he separated from Old Mrs. McDonald and sued her for using the family name on a hamburger empire. Interesting fact – Old McDonald was originally written in 1706 for an Opera of all things.

Thank you to all the solvers and for all of your kind comments. Apparently this evoked as much nostalgia as it did frustration and that's a win!
Amazingly, I never heard of this nursery rhyme, though it has parallels to Chad Gadya (one little goat), a Passover song, which I am very familiar with.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:52 am

OK MEOWers, it is reveal time. This was an infernal puzzle, i.e. you had to infer the answer from the clues you found along the way, and in this case there were 10 little tidbits:

So, it is JACK'S house!

Yes, there is some discussion as to whether it should be Judge/Priest, Cheese/Malt, Cock/Rooster, Rat/mouse, Chased/Killed but these are all acceptable it appears and one can find any combination if you look long enough. Luckily either your memory wasn’t that good (assuming most of us recited this Nursery Rhyme some time ago) that you said “Oh, no that can’t be ‘The House That Jack Built’ because that one says Priest or Malt” or you used Mr. G who was happy to match up almost any combination to give the right answer.

I got several Farmer in the Dells – however he did not have a judge until he took a local gas company to court for fracking on his property. Plus, that is of German origin and we wanted English

Similarly I got Old McDonald but he had Ducks, Sheep and any number of other things. Plus he did not have a judge either, or not for years after he separated from Old Mrs. McDonald and sued her for using the family name on a hamburger empire. Interesting fact – Old McDonald was originally written in 1706 for an Opera of all things.

Thank you to all the solvers and for all of your kind comments. Apparently this evoked as much nostalgia as it did frustration and that's a win!
Amazingly, I never heard of this nursery rhyme, though it has parallels to Chad Gadya (one little goat), a Passover song, which I am very familiar with.
Wow, I'll say it does. Hey maybe that can be your first Meta! Good luck getting ANGELOFDEATH and SLAUGHTERER in the fill!!! But you could title it "Got your Goat!" :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:42 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:52 am

So, it is JACK'S house!

Wow, I'll say it does. Hey maybe that can be your first Meta! Good luck getting ANGELOFDEATH and SLAUGHTERER in the fill!!! But you could title it "Got your Goat!" :)
:lol: :twisted: