#719 - “Something’s Brewing”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

BrennerTJ wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:59 pm Got to 50-in-a-row with this one. 😎🎉
HeadinHome wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:14 pm On the board, with my very first 50 FIFTY 50 badge!
Ladies, say it loud and say it proud: I'm 50!

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Beamed this morning. Congrats ladies!
Kevin
Barney

Post by Barney »

I couldn’t care less *where* on the board I am, just happy in those RARE INSTANCES when I am.

I quickly figured out the mechanism last week but never found the path. Probably should have looked at that one longer. I tend to cut bait and run pretty quickly. (Would never have gotten Mike’s cross country.)

:!:
Barney

Post by Barney »

Barney wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:59 am I couldn’t care less *where* on the board I am, just happy in those RARE INSTANCES when I am.

I quickly figured out the mechanism last week but never found the path. Probably should have looked at that one longer. I tend to cut bait and run pretty quickly. (Would never have gotten Mike’s cross country.)

:!:
Forgot to mention, I did get this one el fasto.

Like they say on the last line of a solves Wordle, Phew.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Waiting for the beamer. My wife spotted the mechanism, and, as a beer lover, I tapped the keg quickly. Cheers!

EDIT: Beamed up at #478! A lot of fun, Matt!
Last edited by ship4u on Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Quick,fun one. I enjoyed this☺️ Beam me up!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:35 pm I actually saw what was going on while doing the fill -- hooray! Barbara K and I will be hosting a Zoom group solve for the WSJ puzzle at 4:30 p.m. EST today (March 11). All are welcome whether you've solved it or not.
Ooops. I saw your post this afternoon and thought there was going to be another zoom today. Since I always enjoy the muggle zooms, I came to the party but nobody showed up! Of course, I never know what day it is, anyway. :)
Last edited by ship4u on Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

ship4u wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:48 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:35 pm I actually saw what was going on while doing the fill -- hooray! Barbara K and I will be hosting a Zoom group solve for the WSJ puzzle at 4:30 p.m. EST today (March 11). All are welcome whether you've solved it or not.
Ooops. I saw you post this afternoon and thought there was going to be another zoom today. Since I always enjoy the muggle zooms, I came to the party but nobody showed up! Of course, I never know what day it is, anyway. :)
A little surprised that you didn't bump into me because I often wander into empty rooms, forget what I came for and leave again. :P
rjy

Post by rjy »

BEAMish me up!

…tho nothing “ish” about it
Ray
BobDylan

Post by BobDylan »

Got it. She was working in a topless place, and I stopped in for a beer. I just kept looking at the side of her face, in the spotlight so clear.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

SomethingsBrewing.png
a brand of beer: Foster's
-Tamara
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

BobDylan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:58 pm Got it. She was working in a topless place, and I stopped in for a beer. I just kept looking at the side of her face, in the spotlight so clear.
But she never escaped my mind and I just grew
Tangled up in blue.

One of his best.

And when finally the bottom fell out
I became withdrawn.
The only thing I knew how to do
Was to keep on keeping on like a bird that flew.
Tangled up in blue
Don & Cynthia