"Front-End Alignment"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Beautiful, elegant mechanism that my mind just couldn't see. Fantastic puzzle!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:11 pm ...But in the meantime (and I KNOW many of you HAD to see this coming) ...REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
Oh, I assumed you picked that as the answer from the start just so you could make that pun!

Great construction! And lots of good clues/answers that made me smile!
HunterX!

As Dinah Shore used to say at the end of her show:
MWAH?
(yes I know all the Francophiles will be distressed by that spelling but it is me after all)

I am hurt, stunned, aghast that you would think I would tarnish one of the treasured mediums of puzzledom for that sake of some very low humor!

I am also just a little scared by how well you know me :)

P.S. for those of you who do not know who Dinah Shore is ask either (a) your parents (b) your grandparents (c) Mr. G
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I just want to say how kind everyone has been with their comments. We all do these puzzles for others, not ourselves, and when someone really likes them we could not be more delighted, so:
this-is-my-thank-you-dance-thanks.gif
I was going to twerk my thanks but I tried it and ended up at my Orthopedist's office
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:59 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:11 pm ...But in the meantime (and I KNOW many of you HAD to see this coming) ...REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
Oh, I assumed you picked that as the answer from the start just so you could make that pun!

Great construction! And lots of good clues/answers that made me smile!
HunterX!

As Dinah Shore used to say at the end of her show:
MWAH?
(yes I know all the Francophiles will be distressed by that spelling but it is me after all)

I am hurt, stunned, aghast that you would think I would tarnish one of the treasured mediums of puzzledom for that sake of some very low humor!

I am also just a little scared by how well you know me :)

P.S. for those of you who do not know who Dinah Shore is ask either (a) your parents (b) your grandparents (c) Mr. G
She was JUST mentioned on Jeopardy!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Forgot to bounce back over here for the post-game wrap-up. Very nice puzzle, @DrTom!

In case you're curious about the rabbit-holes you subject us to, mine were that there were so many more than the usual repetitions of substrings:
3 ICAs
2 ARAs (right on top of each other)
2 HEMs (right next to each other)
2 EGOs
2 EANs
2 RASs
2 AGEs
2 ALEs
2 RUMs - always happy to have 2 rums...

Not to mention
ALAS/ATLAS
LIN/LINE/LINEN

On top of that, I took "Alignment" as an instruction, not an adjective, so I tried all manner of ways to align words with matching substrings and then do something useful with their first letters (front ends)

But the destination was worth the journey - a worthy AHA after all of that. Thanks!
Ray