"A Puzzle Of Cities" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges imminent, but a solvers update first:

frostyjhammer
Hector
Dorothy Crabtree
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. You need to focus on the Australian cities named in the grid.

2. The thing that is common to the clues for these entries is significant.

3. The location of the cities in the grid is significant.

4. Think of the grid as a map. Maps are often used to indicate the presence of buried treasure.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Even with all the nudges still not there. Submitted a WAG hoping to back solve... No dice.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
markhr

Post by markhr »

With a slight nudge, I finally figured out the mechanism. It does make sense after all.
Clever puzzle from Ben, and educational as well.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

If you need an additional nudge,

5. X marks the spot!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

No nudges yet - I think I might see a piece of the mechanism, but I have to chew on that for a bit here in the arvo (I should get Australian street cred for that).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

That drawbridge felt like a long walkabout across Australia, but I finally crossed it! Needed all the nudges plus Google, Wikipedia, National Geographic, a compass, a seeing-eye dog, and a vegemite sandwich, but I got 'er done! Fun geography lesson, Ben!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I fell in the moat but was pulled out by nudges. Fantastic puzzle.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

minimuggle wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:32 pm I fell in the moat but was pulled out by nudges. Fantastic puzzle.
Edit: actually still waiting for confirmation .....I do think I've crossed the moat though.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Updated solvers list:

Laura M
SJMcK
LisaT
markhr
BrennerTJ
Johnny Luau
Capn Rick
Dow Jones
BobJas

for a total of 32. Lower than usual, but not totally unexpected for a "week 4" level meta.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the solution to "A Puzzle of Cities"...

A Puzzle Of Cities (solution).png

Sorry, not sorry, for re-using the "X marks the spot" mechanic!

My initial attempt to solve Matt's puzzle had me thinking that the cities were sort of geo-located in the grid. Then, perhaps there'd be some way to connect them which would then result in the answer city. But that was not the case, as we now know. But in this puzzle, I have geo-located the cites to approximately match their position on a map of Australia, indicated in the clues with the directional information. So if the grid is a map how do I find the meta answer? X marks the spot! Based on the grid position of the X, a quick look at a map of Australia should reveal the answer pretty quickly: there really aren't that many cities between Perth and Alice Springs! Knowing that the name of the city includes 4 of the 5 vowels should provide the confirmation. That, and the fact that Kalgoorlie is known for its gold mines, so X really does mark the spot where the treasure is!

(One unexpected complication is that the official name for Kalgoorlie is "Kalgoorlie-Boulder". But I have never heard it referred to that way! My guess is that Boulder was a very small hamlet that got swallowed up by Kalgoorlie as it expanded, and they added it into the name for some weird reason. Apologies if this made it harder than intended!)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Wow! It still took me a while to understand this because I still kept expecting the letters to come from the grid... And that my friends explains how I got no where! Very clever!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have to say I was really happy when this grid came together, especially since it retains rotational symmetry!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:04 pm Wow! It still took me a while to understand this because I still kept expecting the letters to come from the grid... And that my friends explains how I got no where! Very clever!
Yeah you definitely need Google Maps or equivalent to get the answer.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nice construction, @benchen71, I enjoyed the journey to be sure, but didn’t quite make it to the destination. Needed the nudges, but landed at Gidgegannup instead. Oh well. But very cool concept, loved the creativity! I’ll get the next one -
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

rjy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 pm Nice construction, @benchen71, I enjoyed the journey to be sure, but didn’t quite make it to the destination. Needed the nudges, but landed at Gidgegannup instead. Oh well. But very cool concept, loved the creativity! I’ll get the next one -
Thanks, Ray. Gidgegannup is not a city and not close enough to Alice Springs, but it's definitely a good try!
This week's MOAT will be far more straightforward. I'm also doing MEOW this week, so lots of chances to get back into the meta-solving swing of things.