"Listen Up" - February 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Anyone having trouble printing WSJ crosswords? The pdf comes up blank. Hoping this is fixed by Thursday...

Stay well all
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Streroto wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:35 pm Anyone having trouble printing WSJ crosswords? The pdf comes up blank. Hoping this is fixed by Thursday...

Stay well all
I printed mine out fine this morning.
Heidi
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is MEMORIES. Take the letter before the first EAR and after the second EAR in each of the four theme answers to spell the contest answer, illustrating the hint at 66-Across (“in one ear and out the other”).

This was a blockbuster, if not quite a WSJ contest record: 2,886 entries, about 92% correct (a large percentage, compared to our usual level around 75%). Way to go solvers! Incorrect answers included GRINNING (6), HALFTIME (4), EARPLUGS (2) and a smattering of others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Bret Baack of Fort Collins, Colo.!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Another great muggle weekend which now extends into Tuesday. We were off the couch, beamed up and on shore! Thank you muggle friends!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:00 pm Congrats to this week's winner, Bret Baack of Fort Collins, Colo.!
whoa, now that's close to home. Congrats Bret!
Bbaack

Post by Bbaack »

Wow, I've won the lottery! After playing for about 5 years, and with the increasing popularity of the WSJ contest, I assumed I would never win. Miracles do happen!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bbaack wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:07 pm Wow, I've won the lottery! After playing for about 5 years, and with the increasing popularity of the WSJ contest, I assumed I would never win. Miracles do happen!
Congratulations! Love seeing a muggle win!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Bbaack wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:07 pm Wow, I've won the lottery! After playing for about 5 years, and with the increasing popularity of the WSJ contest, I assumed I would never win. Miracles do happen!
My faith has been restored.

CONGRATULATIONS!
🌴🍹
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Barney wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:10 pm
Annabelle wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am Finally had a look at the answer this morning. Doh! I missed the big fat clue at 66A, might could have figured it out if I'd remembered that hint. As for last week's, even after seeing the answer and reading the explanation, I still couldn't get it. Back on the boat for another circuit. See y'all next weekend!
I missed 66A also, but having highlighted all appearances of “ear” in the completed grid I found the answer just jumped out.
I saw the ears, but then was looking above them for the next step, taking the title clue too literally, I guess!