"One Thing Leads To Another" - February 4, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:44 pm Only a Muggle could understand why I snapped this photo at an Outdoors Expo on Saturday.
The two OZONEs were the starting point for me as well. Once I saw that, I followed the same path as @aaugusti (#302). With the pdf on screen, starting with 1A, I hit Ctrl F EARS, that took me to the clue at 35A. whose answer was NEW. Then Ctrl F NEW and so on. The letters were in order, and I could see what the answer was going to be after the first four or so. But thanks to Ctrl F, the whole process went very quickly
Jay
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I was going to comment earlier on that this felt very much like a Patrick Berry puzzle (thinking of a recent word-train puzzle that he had), but decided it would be kind of spoiler-ish.
AlaEdwCir

Post by AlaEdwCir »

Call me a quitter if you must - where can one find the answer to these after the deadline?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

AlaEdwCir wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:31 pm Call me a quitter if you must - where can one find the answer to these after the deadline?
Hardly a quitter if you’ve been thinking about it for a week! And we all have some that we just can’t figure out.

Some of the night owls post the WSJ explanation and their own work on here right after the midnight deadline. This week that started at post #296
viewtopic.php?t=1431&start=280#p81866

There’s also an explanation at the crossword fiend website
https://crosswordfiend.com/2022/02/06/w ... ore-134226
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)