"Just Look at Yourself" - January 28, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Here's a suggestion for the sysops: can we add a "groan" icon to respond to Dr Tom and the other punsters?

6" here west of Philly. Son and daughter in law in Salem hunkering down.

Stay well and stay warm
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:58 am Good Saturday morning muggles - snowy Saturday that is for those of us in the northeast.

On the ship with Isaac are

and on the shore are:
HunterX...
Um... actually... I'm still on the ship. :oops:

Maybe when the visiting toddlers go down for a nap I'll see the light.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

PeterLeea1a wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:27 am
PeterLeea1a wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:24 am Ugh, stuck at the end.
And just like that, got it.
3 min apart. Love it when that happens!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:53 pm Here's a suggestion for the sysops: can we add a "groan" icon to respond to Dr Tom and the other punsters?

6" here west of Philly. Son and daughter in law in Salem hunkering down.

Stay well and stay warm
Here's a 6-pack:

Code: Select all

[size=200]🙄😕😖😤🤢🤮[/size]
🙄😕😖😤🤢🤮
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore! Stay warm, y’all. Our dusting of snow in the piedmont of NC came and went.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

GTIJohnny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 am Also still on the ship. Unfortunately I missed the zoom session. One night's sleep provided a little insight, but I'm gonna give it another day before I ask for a nudge.
You missed a zoom session, not the zoom session.

The zoom room is always open. If you want to get another group together, just post a time.

There were a dozen muggles still at sea on Bob's report - plus doubtless folks who haven't posted. Perhaps some of them would also like a group to solve with.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Kas

Post by Kas »

whimsy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:44 am Good Friday morning muggles

First a great welcome to our newest muggles - UHJ and mthurner - welcome to the clan and is there is anything we can do to help, please do not be afraid of asking.

We have 5 on the ship with 28D and 92 on the shore

And for those in sunny, warm climates, this is what we are looking forward to tomorrow. Your humble servant is in the center of the red circle at the end of the black arrow - where we are expected to get 24 inches of wind blown snow tomorrow. But fear not, I have extra gas in my 30" snowblower and plenty of gas for the generator. And a week 4 MGWCC to keep me occupied.
Capturemap.PNG

Bob! You saved me the trouble of grabbing this very same kind of clip and directing it to @Kas!
Lookin' like a Kas 5 for his parts!
Stay safe all!
Yeppers...we're precisely one letter-hight below the second "e" in Providence on your map. But I got steaks, so I'm grilling out tonight. I can't figure out how to post pictures here (derrr?)...but the view from the window immediately above my screen is...interesting.
Kas

Post by Kas »

IMG-3960.jpg
Aha, figured it out. And yes...I think I there might be some snow out there.
I'm still grilling out. [shakes fist at the elements]
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Kas wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 pm IMG-3960.jpg
I figured that you were grilling because/in case there was no other available power source to cook with.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Count me ashore. I’m pretty sure it’s the correct answer.

Grey Goose Martini. Go Rams!
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

I'm stuck on boat. Got the two steps bit can't figure where to go....
Julie
BensMom

Post by BensMom »

*Feels like* I'm close to the answer (with a nudge from my mom!) but must be missing something important. Still at sea.. maybe I will think of something clever while at Top Golf this afternoon.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Kas wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 pm IMG-3960.jpg
Whew! How meta is that?! :D
Reminds me of the old PET evaporated milk can, with the picture of the cow coming out of the can, that had a picture of a.....
Capturepet.PNG
Used to boggle my mind when I was a kid.
(I guess I drank some of it so perhaps that's why my mind's still boggled! :D )
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:18 am Finished the grid with the kids and quickly found steps 1 and 2 (or step 1, or whatever it might be). Then darned if we didn't hit that wall. Then the kids had to leave. Family showed up for the weekend here in the snowy Poconos. Puzzle had to wait. Unlike last week, I did not wake with the "D'oh, how stupid of me!" And the shovel called.

Now that my fingers have thawed a bit, and the temperature has risen to 6 (feels like -13), I'll take a look. More coffee please, Isaac.

Does post enlightenment happen if you are posting specifically to bring it about? Here's hoping...
This gave me a chuckle -- I guess there's family and then there's family. :D
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am feeling quite clueless, especially with so many seeing a path to this right away. I keep coming back to it In between shoveling shifts, while the dog watches. Hoping inspiration will strike.
Attachments
8C4EA5EB-56AE-4328-9570-FDA59012777C.jpeg
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We made it to shore! Thanks to a friendly Muggle for verification. It took a few tries to find the click but a fresh look did the trick. Hope those in the snow path are safe and warm.
Colin

Post by Colin »

On board (6 letters)
Meta in fog (9 letters)
More grog! (8 letters)
One world. One planet. One future.
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:13 pm
GTIJohnny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 am Also still on the ship. Unfortunately I missed the zoom session. One night's sleep provided a little insight, but I'm gonna give it another day before I ask for a nudge.
You missed a zoom session, not the zoom session.

The zoom room is always open. If you want to get another group together, just post a time.

There were a dozen muggles still at sea on Bob's report - plus doubtless folks who haven't posted. Perhaps some of them would also like a group to solve with.
My apologies in advance but I couldn't find anything in the FAQ. If I post a time, do I have to somehow set up a Zoom meeting, or will that option automatically appear up top in the right? I think we have enough still at sea to warrant another one.

Does an administrator "oversee" or set up the meeting?

I have zero skills in setting up a zoom...but am willing to learn.

I'd say 6 PM Central Time Saturday, 7 PM Eastern (and so on).

John
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

Oh duh, I just saw Muggle Zoom Room is always open.

OK I'll be there at 6 PM CT tonite for one.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

I am finally ashore after getting about halfway there last night only to discover today that I needed a little course correction or I would miss the island by 36°. I am greatly impressed by those of you who managed to make land so quickly. Try not to get too full of yourselves. 😉

Thanks to Mr. Shenk for a challenging but satisfying puzzle.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense