MEOW #60 Divine Punishment

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Cat: ”Me owtta here!”
And once again
1D4F4311-7E46-4295-B418-D74BAFCC2E78.jpeg
Well done, Dr Tom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Humble apologies! I missed BarbaraK on the leaderboard, Holy smokes!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat is out of the bag!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 am
HeadinHome wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm @DrTom, I have truly groan to enjoy your puzzles and your humor.

What did the church mouse say to his little congregation before they all died?
“Beware! the cat is roamin’, Catholics!”
Did the cat say "Let us spray?"

That would be cause to celibate! :lol:
Did you mean: "Did the cat say "Let us spay?" "? :lol: :o
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Attempting to WAG its way out and awaiting 👍👎

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:16 am
No cat ever says "Let us spay" unless it is followed with either "the dog" or "you-- see how you like it".
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:25 am
ImOnToo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm Cat is out of the bag!

762B4E80-B0E4-450F-8B01-871F7BFB4376.jpeg
That is funny for reasons you don't even know yet! :D
I look forward to the reveal. 🙂
Konnie
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:16 am
DrTom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 am
HeadinHome wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm @DrTom, I have truly groan to enjoy your puzzles and your humor.

What did the church mouse say to his little congregation before they all died?
“Beware! the cat is roamin’, Catholics!”
Did the cat say "Let us spray?"

That would be cause to celibate! :lol:
No the cat would NEVER say that, and probably not even "cut that out"!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now, the solvers have trickled down quite a bit, only three more of you opened the bag today:
30 lbray53
31 Joe Ross
32 TomRunner

Probably all doing that "other" puzzle that came out - the nerve!!!!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, only 1 more person today - darn that MGWCC, it has everyone tied up trying to decide whose side they are on. Well here is someone on the right side of the MEOW:

33 Carolyn

and maybe folks need a spoiler or two?

Anyone who remembers Know no End (02/21/21) had an idea of my fondness for homophones, combine that with my fondness for puns and the mechanism is almost transparent.

The 6 necessary letters are derived from the 6 religious to secular puns ex. "cannon" versus "canon" law.

Notice that the parenthetical numbers all seem to coincide with the length of the "punny word". For example the parenthetical number for 32A could not possibly have been (4)
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Sort of late to the party, but Tom confirmed a little while ago that the kitty is out and back on the prowl.
Sara
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Waiting for confirmation but I do believe the cat is out of the bag!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Some more solvers have "released the hounds" uh, well "released the Himalayans"

34 Hidden in 3D
35 Ergcat
36 vandono

Hmm maybe Ill get some more solvers now that the WSJCC nad MGWCC are either solved or thrown in a crumpled mess in the corner?
vandono

Post by vandono »

Finally! Sweet wife has had my computer all week because hers isn't connecting. I've been missing these puzzles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I can feel the tap closing, BUT one more for the leaderboard!

37 markhr
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, this just in!

38 cbarbee002
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I doubt there is anyone who still needs this, but remember this is a guy who HAS to finish the GRID even if he knows the answer. Sheldon had nothing on me....

Divine Punishment forum solve post.png
This was a fairly popular puzzle, I got 38 solvers before it was all over. Very few people had trouble with it, and those that did tried using the first letters of the theme answers, which of course gave them an unholy mess. Others tried to use the replaced letters so CANON for CANNON (N), WINE for WHINE (H), etc. which also yielded an irreverent solution.

I realized after I posted the puzzle that I probably tipped my hand WAY too much when I started the forum with “Good morning all you cat chasers…” but by the same token someone said they thought that was a misdirection so people would not automatically lock onto chased.

Regardless, people said they enjoyed it and laughed at it and really that is always my goal. I will NEVER be the subject of a “Zoom Solve” because I am just not that clever. BUT, if I can make you chuckle (or groan as the case may be) my job here is done.

Thanks to all who tried this one.