MEOW #59: Child's Play

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 pm Cat is out of the bag! Got a late start today after being busy this morning and driving to the lake this afternoon. Hope to get a lot done on clearing the steep bank behind the house to open up the view of the lake from the house. Won't come close to finishing this weekend, but hope to make good progress.
At least 58D was easy for you!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

A tough grid fill for me. I loved the unusual entries and cryptic clues.

The cat jumped out if the bag once I completed the entries.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A cat, maybe even one from this genre (there are at least a couple I can think of offhand), is out of the bag.

Usually when I see "fun" in the comments, I think it means, "I really felt good when I finally saw the mechanism." But here it's closer to the dictionary definition: "Characterized by amusing clues and entries."
Jay
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Out of the bag! Enjoyed the clueing and cryptics!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 pm Cat is out of the bag! Got a late start today after being busy this morning and driving to the lake this afternoon. Hope to get a lot done on clearing the steep bank behind the house to open up the view of the lake from the house. Won't come close to finishing this weekend, but hope to make good progress.
Follow up on the bank clearing project: Apparently Sleeping Beauty is in the upstairs bedroom. I always thought that the menacing thorny vines in the picture book and movie were gross exaggerations, but I can tell you they are not. Those thorny vines are not just tenacious; they actively reach out to entangle and scratch you to death. You lop off small trees and branched and they just hang there caught up in the vines. I went out tonight and bought a machete. I will let y'all know if I have success with that.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Reminds me of The Giver
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Took me way longer than it should have to solve, but it was another one of those revelation things...you know the drill:
Thinking
Trying weird things/Googling
Thinking
Trying more weird things/asking the cats
THUNDERBOLT (oddly enough outside my favorite thinking room this time), head slap, self questioning intelligence....

Anyway, time to release the cats (who were apparently just as surprised as I was:
OMG he got it.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still waiting for the nudges, as usual.
Cynthia
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudges come out on Saturday :)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

madhatter5 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:50 pm Nudges come out on Saturday :)
I know.....just trying to assure fellow strugglers that I am still struggling. :lol: :roll:
Cynthia
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudge Saturday!

What do all the themers have in common? Can you come up with a common word that would also fit the pattern? (not anniversary, another one)

One two, here's a clue; three four, think some more!

I was originally thinking of titling this puzzle "Solving Inverse"
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it, thanks to Cinny's persistent prodding. Thanks for the puzzle!
Cynthia
ReB

Post by ReB »

Late start last evening, but found this to be a entertaining exercise - with a challenging grid - but as the last of the grid fell into place, the key to the meta fell right into my lap. Awaiting confirmation so that I won't need to be nudged.

I just have to locate proper food for the calico, as it's been weeks since I last worked on a MEOW.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Finally, after 3 tries, the cat has gotten out of the bag (hopefully). This was not Child's Play for me ! But it was an enjoyable solve. Thanks, Josh.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution: NURSERY RHYMES
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Oops! I had an unconfident guess on this one, decided to hold off submitting and revisit it later and maybe wait for the Saturday nudges, but... completely forgot. (And my guess wasn't even close!)