#710 - “Just State the Facts”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Barney

Post by Barney »

Thanks, boharr & Joe Ross.

My answer was much more complicated.

Whiffing on a Week One.

Three words. Puh The Tic
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Got interrupted while working the grid last night and didn't get back to it until just now. Just a little bit of research to confirm my entry and beamed up. Of course right after the last update, so won't see my name on the "leader"board for a while. I put the "leader" part in quotes as it's hard to call my place that far down the list a leader position.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Geography.

Yay.

At least it was a Week 1.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'm a little annoyed at the badges. I've been doing these for 4 weeks now and first week I solo solved a week three. So I get a week 3 and a solo badge. Next week I do a week 4 group. So I get a week 4 badge and a group solve.... and a "great minds get the same wrong answer". Huh? For two puzzles I get three statuses? The following week I fail a week 5 and my badges remain unchanged. Oh, well, that week I earned the "great minds". So yesterday I solve my first week 1. And I now have a week 1 badge... and a week 2... despite not having been subscribe long enough to do a week two. Five statuses for four puzzles.

Anyone else have issues like these? Any-one else care? I suppose I shouldn't be when thinks don't work right I get a headache... (I *always* have a headache...)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:31 pm I'm a little annoyed at the badges. I've been doing these for 4 weeks now and first week I solo solved a week three. So I get a week 3 and a solo badge. Next week I do a week 4 group. So I get a week 4 badge and a group solve.... and a "great minds get the same wrong answer". Huh? For two puzzles I get three statuses? The following week I fail a week 5 and my badges remain unchanged. Oh, well, that week I earned the "great minds". So yesterday I solve my first week 1. And I now have a week 1 badge... and a week 2... despite not having been subscribe long enough to do a week two. Five statuses for four puzzles.

Anyone else have issues like these? Any-one else care? I suppose I shouldn't be when thinks don't work right I get a headache... (I *always* have a headache...)
I wonder if someone else used the same username once upon a time and your record is getting mixed with theirs. The Overall tab is showing that you’ve solved 4 puzzles.

Anyway, @Alex Boisvert is Matt’s webmaster, and could probably look into it for you.
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:54 pm The Overall tab is showing that you’ve solved 4 puzzles.

Anyway, @Alex Boisvert is Matt’s webmaster, and could probably look into it for you.
I've only solved 3.

Yeah... I don't know if I really want to bother him.

Weird thing is that neither the week one and week two badge showed up until yesterday when I solved the week 1 puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

I looked at this again and think I solved. This one really was a true solo but done the easiest way possible.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Alex Boisvert

Post by Alex Boisvert »

woozy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:31 pm I'm a little annoyed at the badges. I've been doing these for 4 weeks now and first week I solo solved a week three. So I get a week 3 and a solo badge. Next week I do a week 4 group. So I get a week 4 badge and a group solve.... and a "great minds get the same wrong answer". Huh? For two puzzles I get three statuses? The following week I fail a week 5 and my badges remain unchanged. Oh, well, that week I earned the "great minds". So yesterday I solve my first week 1. And I now have a week 1 badge... and a week 2... despite not having been subscribe long enough to do a week two. Five statuses for four puzzles.

woozy I have you down as having solved the DOUBLE DATING meta, which was a week 2, so it looks like your achievements are accurate.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Beamed up on Friday at #378.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I tried to give myself an extra challenge this week (since it's the first Friday) and solve the puzzle without looking at the hint. I couldn't seem to figure it out, so today I allowed myself to look at the hint. Not one second after looking at it, it came to me entirely. I cannot believe this wasn't the first thing I tried. I feel so foolish! Can't wait to try again next month to see if I can solve it without the hint.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

mgwcc-7010.JPG