Episode #323 THIS PUZZLE IS UNWORTHY (OF YOUR LOVE)

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
oldjudge

Episode #323 THIS PUZZLE IS UNWORTHY (OF YOUR LOVE)

Post by oldjudge »

Not really a meta (one fill is the answer) but nonetheless a fun puzzle with an interesting grid.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I solved it too.
Edited to remove possible hints!
Last edited by Schmeel on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Agree, but I didn’t want to provide any hints.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it and enjoyed it. Grid not easy, much to peel.
Last edited by boharr on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Hello solvers! I didn't get here fast enough to post this myself, but thanks for getting it started. Just to add my own spiel ...

There's a new contest puzzle from Fill Me In. It's still a contest, even if the meta extraction isn't quite the same idea as usual. Hopefully once you work on it, you'll understand why I chose to go this route.

I'll rate this one 2.9 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.) And I might go with fewer bananas if you just solve quickly and leave it alone ... with maybe another banana if you take a closer look.

The puzzle is called "This Puzzle Is Unworthy (of Your Love)" and was constructed by me (Brian Cimmet). The solution to the puzzle is the entry at 33-Across.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, our own website, or wherever you collect your podcasts.

Once you've solved the puzzle, submit your answer and this week's password by email to fmi@bemoresmarter.com. You can also contact us with any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas. Thanks for playing along!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got the answer, though I did not earn the extra banana. Would appreciate a nudge on that if someone got it...

Follow up: Got a nudge and earned that banana... well, maybe actually only earned half.

I am unworthy of the other half.
Ray
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Peeled!

Though I needed a shove.

Good one!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmm, I guess I'm taking the look-closer-and-find-more-bananas route as this does not seem simple to me. I have an answer I like, but I'm not sure if I've crossed the line between finding the answer and thinking of/justifying an answer.
rjy

Post by rjy »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:01 pm Hmm, I guess I'm taking the look-closer-and-find-more-bananas route as this does not seem simple to me. I have an answer I like, but I'm not sure if I've crossed the line between finding the answer and thinking of/justifying an answer.
It's a pretty solid, ripe, not-a-freckle-on-it banana. No justification required.
Ray
Abide

Post by Abide »

Got both bananas, but did not submit. Very clever puzzle with a few Easter eggs.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Hello solvers,

The solution to this contest was either (or both) of two answers: FOLLIES or PASSION.

This was a Schrodinger puzzle. That's a puzzle where at least one entry has two viable possibilities, and all the crosses work for either answer. In this case:
  • 33D Music genre - PUNK or FUNK
  • 34D Mathematical word - ADDS or ODDS
  • 26D Stir, in a way - RISE or RILE
  • 27D It may appear on a map - INSET or INLET
  • 22D Edible plant - SAGO or SAGE
  • 23D Plow-pullers - OXEN or OXES
(One letter is common to both entries, the I.)

There's another contest puzzle and a new post in the forum for it. I hope you give it a try!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

In my regular effort to over-complicate simple things, I saw the two possible answers right away but then went looking for another step - especially after the comment about an extra banana if you look harder. Didn't find anything with a solid click.

The closest I got was trying to make Company work, because there are two answers that fit, and "two's company," right? And the plot of Company could maybe kinda sorta be described as "passion follies"? Couldn't really convince myself of that without any more puzzle-based support. Now I know why:)