MEOW #53: Roundabout

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I think I’ve got it - waiting for confirmation.

[edit] Confirmed - thanks for the puzzle @madhatter5. I had given up on this one because I filled out the grid online twice and both times returned to an empty grid. Glad I was able to get back to it, and filling the grid was even faster the third time through!
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

All I can hear in my head is Darth Vader saying "Turn left at the roundabound [sic]" in that Garmin commercial.
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:21 am Well I finally solved it, and I think that I was where Woozy was (why, where was Woozy, William woodchuck wondered wildly?). I knew what the mechanism had to be, and it was but I must have gotten carsick and missed the turn because I was way off.
Do I just not know 68As?

I know it's not a strong point or a passion but when it comes to terminology and names I thought I knew them well enough. But this ain't working. If the mechanism is what I just can't imagine it not being, there really is many wrong turns to take. So do I just not know 68As?

There is a name I find which is a bit "too much to be a coincidence" but it has nothing that I know of to do with 68As (but a lot to do with whimsy's image) but it is diametrically (well inharmoniously) opposed to the clue of 68A. (Oh and harmoniously there is a word I found but it's "just enough to be a coincidence" and is only a quarter of task).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

MarkWoychick wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 am I think I’ve got it - waiting for confirmation.

[edit] Confirmed - thanks for the puzzle @madhatter5. I had given up on this one because I filled out the grid online twice and both times returned to an empty grid. Glad I was able to get back to it, and filling the grid was even faster the third time through!
EDIT: Nevermind. Crosshare not used here. Sorry.

I think if you sign into Google first your work will be saved. If not and you close the browser window, your work will be lost. This used to happen to me. Anyone else know how Crosshare works?
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:45 am

There is a name I find which is a bit "too much to be a coincidence" but it has nothing that I know of to do with 68As (but a lot to do with whimsy's image) but it is diametrically (well inharmoniously) opposed to the clue of 68A.
(Booming voice) "Pay no attention to that cat on the turntable!"
(I try to come up with something that reflects the sense of the puzzle without being a spoiler.)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MarkWoychick wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 am I think I’ve got it - waiting for confirmation.

I believe that with the software madhatter uses, you can hit the "solution" button for the grid and you'll get it all back. Maybe that's only if you've solved it once already? not sure. (Although I've found it useful to have to do the grid over at times, sometimes noticing something I didn't the first time. :) )
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Finally! That took way way way longer than it should have for me. However, thanks to the nudges I both solved the meta and learned something really cool about another kind of puzzle :-)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
woozy

Post by woozy »

whimsy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:02 pm
woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:45 am

There is a name I find which is a bit "too much to be a coincidence" but it has nothing that I know of to do with 68As (but a lot to do with whimsy's image) but it is diametrically (well inharmoniously) opposed to the clue of 68A.
(Booming voice) "Pay no attention to that cat on the turntable!"
(I try to come up with something that reflects the sense of the puzzle without being a spoiler.)
yeah, but my word can't have *anything* to do with the solution (whatever that is), I assume.

Okay, I want a nudge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew! Finally off the couch. Got it fairly quickly this morning in just looking at it differently than I had been last week, the kind that I needed to go away from - often! - and come back to get it.
Ray
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Will there be a solution posted today?
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution

The answer was FAST
ra.PNG
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Oh wow. Kas 1 million. I was only looking around the very center of the puzzle, where the roundabout was.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ohhhhh. What I thought it had to be, even after hints, was car names in separate counterclockwise circles like

D A C
I _ C
L L A

and then the middle letters of each group would spell out something.

Obviously not original, but I couldn't think of anything else that would fit! Of course I couldn't find any cars in this format, and got tired of looking. The actual solution is much better. Too bad I couldn't think outside the box!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I didn't get this one.
But now I understand spoiler #3.
And there I was, only looking in the corners, ignoring the ring completely.
Reminder - there are two parts to the theorem!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Schmeel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:33 am I didn't get this one.
I don't understand spoiler 3 and what theorem!?
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Dplass wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 am

(I guessed that among all you clever puzzlers there would be some kindred sudoku fans :) Probably guessed wrong)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Abide

Post by Abide »

I was unable to see the ring as well, but in Googling Spoiler #3 I found this geeky bizarro-world XWord Muggles forum where Isaac is made of numbers...

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/phistomefe ... 38410.html
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

madhatter5 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:16 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 am

(I guessed that among all you clever puzzlers there would be some kindred sudoku fans :) Probably guessed wrong)
I used to watch Simon's analyses but then realized he's way smarter than me and then I discovered metas and the rest is history.