#704 - “Ghostwriter”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Stumbled along but finally got it.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I was so close -- right church -- but needed a nudge to get me into the right pew.
Jay
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up.
It took a while, but I figured it out.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

It must be an easy week 4 . . . I solved it without help. I enjoyed it, though!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

*sitting down, catching my breath*

Wow, that was a fun one. One small nudge to direct me away from a rabbit hole, and a whole lot of thinking.

222! Beamed....
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

WOW!

Amazing puzzle. Beam me right up!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Finally!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I got step one quickly on Friday - just an hour or so in. Still hunting for step 2.
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

Got step 1 after staring for a while, but I could use a nudge on the next step
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beamed up after an assist from @Sara Dacus. Really fun puzzle!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed up after a friendly nudge, without which I was spinning my wheels for several days.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Another recent puzzle I've made too complicated. It's past time to heed standard advice to keep it simple, work the basics, stop playing Boggle with the grid, follow the prompts.

In any case, energize.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Just read the crossword fiend. Pretty cool.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I spent a day and a half seeing a word inside TERRYFRIDMAN and typing whatever letters were left into an anagram generator. There's about a million words you can make in ol' Terry's Boggle grid of a name, but very few sets that take up all 12 letters. The 2 best I came up with were FRIEND/MARTYR (we all have one of those, eh?) - Joon also found this one - and TRENDY R.I. FARM ("Where America's finest artisanal cranberries are born. Not grown...born.") I finally reached out for a nudge and once I was told to stay off the anagram path things slowly but surely fell into place. Solving in Alphacross wasn't conducive to it, but bringing up the PDF and having 6, 61, and 64 Across right next to one another at the top of the page definitely helped.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I didn't get this one but am in awe at yet another unique mechanism from Gaffney. I never got past the first rabbit hole I went down.
ajk

Post by ajk »

So now I see where my disconnect was. It hadn't occurred to me that I could actually guess the real constructor's name, which seems dumb in retrospect because I knew pretty early on it was Matt. So I was trying to turn the 7 clues into random other words that would clue the existing entries, instead of (duh!) swapping the initials. Even after I was steered toward finding the 'correct' initials I brute forced the discovery of M and g and didn't get why of course it's those two until I read Joon's writeup. :lol: :lol: But even with that more roundabout route to the right initials it didn't take very long to get to the end post nudge. And indeed, fun.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

It's all so obvious in retrospect. If the initials TF are fake, the real author must be Matt Gaffney. So change TF in the clues to MG and look for entries that fit the seven new clues.
Ghostwriter 600.jpg
Jay
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I initially saw the PBs crossing in the center of the grid and thought we were going to learn that Patrick Berry was the ghostwriter.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Memories of Marie Kelly had me assuming that Terry Fridman was an anagram. When I didn’t get anywhere with decoding that (using a web anagram solver since I don’t enjoy and am terrible at anagrams) I tried the apparent theme answers. And out popped “used clothing” -> “include ghost”. Whoa - that must be important! Fortunately I couldn’t get anywhere and had to try another track.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I just read Joon’s writeup. I totally missed Merry Gridman. That’s brilliant!