"Flower Arrangements" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat!!
Cindy Heisler
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

CPJohnson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm I got it, though my first guess was wrong. Tried lots of wrong paths.
Once the path is found, it's a click.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Demoated
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

That was a bit tricky!
But I finally made it up the briars to rescue my own dam-sel(f)!
Capturetower.PNG
Thanks, Ben!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Castle stormed/confirmed on Crosshare. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben! I always learn something from your puzzles
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the additional solvers:

Gutman
Golem
CPJohnson
cinny
whimsy
Dave C
BrennerTJ
Mwoychick
markhr
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
emmie

Post by emmie »

fun one :)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just realised that it is Saturday, which means nudges! So here you go, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Once you finish the grid you will find lots of flowers.

2. The puzzle title is the only hint.

3. "Arrangements" suggests anagrams.

If anyone needs more than that, please let me know!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And three more solvers to add to the list:

BarbaraK
Matt A
K7
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers to add to the list before the answer reveal:

DrTom
badgey

Well done to all solvers!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the answer:

Flower Arrangements (solution).png

So there were a few extra flowers in the grid, and there were even an additional entry crossed with its anagram. But the mechanism only involved flowers that were crossed with their anagrams.

This week's MOAT will be something a little different. Stay tuned!