"The Five W's" - November 12, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CaptainVideo

Post by CaptainVideo »

I think I've slogged away at this long enough. Would some kind soul give me a nudge?
Tina

Post by Tina »

Tina wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:37 pm I have printed out a fresh grid and am going to make one more attempt at reaching shore! I will let you know if it is successful!
Update: Nope.
KaiS

Post by KaiS »

Stuck at sea with a few dropped threads. Third week in a row and I'm feeling a bit seasick. These metas have been killing me! If anyone could offer a nudge, I'd love a PM, just so I may get a glimpse of what I'm missing before it's laid out for us tomorrow.

EDIT: I am now ashore with a few helpful nudges. I won't submit because I wouldn't have gotten there on my own, but I'm happy to see how this one worked out. Brilliantly and annoyingly simple.
Last edited by KaiS on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Cindy N wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:11 pm And...ashore. The only bright spot in an otherwise sucky day in which the outer glass on my oven door shattered into a shower of little black bits all over the kitchen floor
Oh My! What an awful thing to happen right before Thanksgiving. Hope its under warranty and that you get a repair soon.

Jg
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore
hayburner

Post by hayburner »

Lost at sea, resigned to not submitting, and would appreciate a nudge toward.. something. Happy to provide a list of what we’ve come up with so far!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Just got to the grid today. Finished with that and headed to Isaac's bar. Wow, 10 people deep!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I can't even be bothered to ask for a nudge. A lot of the comments from successful solvers made it sound like there was not a very satisfying path to the solution. I'll definitely check out the official answer. But I'm not wasting any more time on this one... :(

Edit: This post was brought to you by a high level of frustration and reading too many comments on this forum without knowledge of the solution on my part. I trust that if Mr. Shenk reads my comment he won't take offence, and still give any metas that I try to get published in the WSJ a fair appraisal!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

I am submitting an answer...but I can't reverse engineer it enough to click in a satisfactory manner.

So...ashore but swimming in a lovely pool.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Count me still at sea.

Just printed off a clean copy of the puzzle. Will clear my mind and try to get in the zone as I re-fill it. And maybe post-enlightenment will strike.
Relic

Post by Relic »

After two days of trying this and that to no avail, I've decided to punt. Time to clear my mind on the exercise bike. Losing streak now at 4 weeks. Hanging out with Isaac until midnight when I'll read it and weep. Congrats to all the solvers!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Trey

Post by Trey »

Well...........Marion and I are safely ashore - both rowed but she was the guide. After a couple of weeks of close or close/nudge, it's good to be back in the sand!

Luck to all..........
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Finally ashore! (I think.)

If I've done it correctly, I see why it's simple AND difficult. Also why some people are saying it's not "crisp." Hopefully, I found the right golden arrow and the right bullseye.

BTW, @Joe Ross I wrote "Simple, not easy" on my note sheet to remind myself. ;)

Anyone else think Gaffney and Shenk are having a Most Difficult Meta Setter competition?
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:24 pm I first thought of whimsy when I saw this. Then Isaac. And now myself answering "I dunno" to the question of what's the meta answer!

Screenshot_20211109-160505_Facebook.jpg
Your rabbit reminded me of this little gem.
Attachments
5f0cd46dfecf3f3da3d921015a70dc4c.jpg
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Towed to shore so at least I get the feel of sand between my toes! But definitely will NOT be submitting. Good luck to all of those who were able to solve and submit!
RobM

Post by RobM »

Struggled to shore thanks to a generous nudge. Thanks, Wendy! Won't be submitting, but nice to see where we were going this week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JennyByrd wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Cindy N wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:11 pm And...ashore. The only bright spot in an otherwise sucky day in which the outer glass on my oven door shattered into a shower of little black bits all over the kitchen floor
Oh My! What an awful thing to happen right before Thanksgiving. Hope its under warranty and that you get a repair soon.

Jg
Jenny
I would not hold out much hope for either unless you pick one off the floor of the store. We ordered a stove and it took four months to come in.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

I remain upon the ship
On my shoulder a little chip
However I’ve enjoyed the trip
I think I’ll have a little nip

In my shoulder I’ve had the jab
I didn’t have to take a cab
It was a pinch, not at all a stab
City of New York picked up the tab

No fainting, headaches or palpitation
Around here that’s grounds for elation
Some say it’s a usurpation
But I’m doing my part for self and nation

Ok I was a little late
Given everything I decided to wait
However my job set a date
And I get a pretty good rate
RobM

Post by RobM »

The Monday post-mortems will be fun this week. I'm looking forward to seeing where everyone else's unproductive rabbit holes led. I had at least six, only one of which was even slightly connected to the correct answer.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report has 57 on the ship and 53 on the shore

Getting to the shore since lunch are

sphorning
michaelm
KaiS
Barbara K
Nlobb
GTIJohnny
relic (and Maggie)