#701 - "We're Looking for a Phrase"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:42 pm Started this evening, and somewhat quickly got step 1 (and 2), but can't figure out what to do now, since what I get is gibberish. :-/
I bet that’s the same lane I idled in for about 20 minutes. Then I smacked my head and went “OH — I need to try that other thing I often forget to try…”.
The other Wendy. :roll:
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

EmilyW wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:35 pm It feels like it's been a while since I correctly solved a meta so I was looking forward to a nice easy week one, but unfortunately I am stuck. I think I'm most of the way there, so I'm going to take a break and hope for post enlightenment.
Well I had to leave it and come back a few times, but this time I saw it immediately. Pending leaderboard update, but beam me up!
Barney

Post by Barney »

#339 on the leaderboard. 🎺🥁
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

beam me up. had a eureka moment while falling asleep last night; luckily, remembered my thoughts in the morning and got it done. agree with everyone this felt a bit harder than usual week ones.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:42 pm Started this evening, and somewhat quickly got step 1 (and 2), but can't figure out what to do now, since what I get is gibberish. :-/
I'm in that same boat.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

In typing a PM to someone explaining where I was with the puzzle, I discovered that I was mis-reading my handwriting and "typing" the grid numbers made it clear that I was using an incorrect number based on my self-produced gibberish. Anyway, finally beamed up yesterday.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm running late on metas and comments and everything else this week. I eventually did beam up at #177 :-) I got there quickly but agree this seemed like a little more than the usual week one!
burghman

Post by burghman »

On the board. A couple Naticks and a word I’d never seen before but was close enough to another word that it forced some head-scratching. More fun than the typical week 1.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

The one thing that slowed me down on this (especially since he's used Wheel Of Fortune in the past) was that the title sounded like Pat Sajak revealing the next puzzle. I had the right 7 letters but as WHLIFUS (grid sequence of the () clues) and didn't know if we were supposed to make WHALING FUSE or some such phrase. After a few minutes and noticing there were no references to "buying a vowel" or anything like that, I wrote down the grid #s for the changed letters and had it in no time.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Am I the only one who noticed the name of one of the solvers near the very bottom of Matt's "Streaks" list this week? Coincidence? I don't think so.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Is it wrong to be giddy about my first solo solve? Only started trying the metas from WSJ in mid-October - yet to solve one without a nudge. I subscribed to Matt’s Friday metas a few weeks ago mostly just to watch and learn. After completing the first step of this meta, I stared at it forever until I had a aha moment yesterday. My family doesn’t understand my excitement! Hopefully, some of you will.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Guffman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:22 pm Am I the only one who noticed the name of one of the solvers near the very bottom of Matt's "Streaks" list this week? Coincidence? I don't think so.
I'm guessing someone put the wrong info in the wrong field on the entry page. That said, it makes me wonder how "manual" his process is, as that would never get past him if he checked every answer.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 pm
Guffman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:22 pm Am I the only one who noticed the name of one of the solvers near the very bottom of Matt's "Streaks" list this week? Coincidence? I don't think so.
I'm guessing someone put the wrong info in the wrong field on the entry page. That said, it makes me wonder how "manual" his process is, as that would never get past him if he checked every answer.
Yeah, that has happened before... I actually informed him of that in an email and it came right off. I will admit that sometimes I look at the "overall" to see of there's someone with only 1 submission whose name looks like an answer.