"Like Magic" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’m trans-moat and intra-castle!

Good one!

Agree: tough grid. I had to look up a few things.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Apologies for the tough grid: this was one of my earlier puzzles. I'm hopeful that my later puzzles (one of which will be coming next week!) are more straightforward...

Here's the list of solvers so far:
Darth
RPardoe
FrankieHeck
Meg
LuckyGuest
Cindy Heisler
HLD
boharr
woozy
whimsy
DrTom
hoover
dplass
Mike D
Dave C
ImOnToo
markhr
LB800
sus
CPJohnson
Gutman
sharkicicles
Hector
Dow Jones
ryoustra
joequavis
ChrisKochmanski
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Fun! Got to this late since I was distracted by MMMM this week.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Tough grid for me, too - leaned some new terms! Finally solved the meta today. Thanks for the puzzle @benchen71
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Confirmed on Crosshare. Fun one!
Thanks, Ben!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Across the moat (it's great how Crosshare lets you correct a typo right away). Meanwhile, 34 years ago in rap....
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: :tornado:

Took a break from bashing my head against the wall on MMMM and now WSJCC and was delighted to have a fun puzzle I could actually solve for a change of pace.

Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Allow me to add the following to the solvers list:

lbray53
Laura M
Mwoychick
Jeremy Smith
Ira Hanson
Bird Lives
shalmanezer
Zach Barton
KayW
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Not sure if anyone is desperately waiting on nudges, but here they are:

1. There is a big clue in the grid.

2. 39 across says LET ME SPELL IT OUT (FOR YOU)

3. Listen for something "spelled out" by some of the words in the grid.

If anyone needs further nudges, please let me know.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The following can be added to the solvers list:

SJMcK
V
frostyjhammer
Golem

for a grand total of 40 solvers so far.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Last lot of solvers before the answer reveal:

CPJohnson
badgey
Carolyn
BrennerTJ

Well done, all!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the solution:

Like Magic (solution).png

In the end, I don't think this puzzle was all that TRICKY, but you never know with these phonetic-based mechanisms: not all versions of English pronounce things the same way!

As I commented on Crosshare, I went back and forth on this puzzle. On the one hand, it breaks the interlocking rule (two squares are only clued in one direction); so I tried to do a version that eliminated that problem. Then I noticed that two of the key meta words weren't symmetrically placed. That was too important, so it was back to non-interlocking. Forgive me! Also please excuse the top right corner of this grid: ALBI (the racist dragon), ART TOY, BURLAP (To Cashmere), and ORA (but clued in a tricky way) definitely made for a challenging area.

Tomorrow, one of my more recent puzzles...