"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

On shore which I believe will be a crowded one!
Vicki and Mike

Post by Vicki and Mike »

On shore. Though we are always unsure when we seem to get the answer too easily.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Can't help but think "bowl game".

Waiting to submit on this one.

Isaac, iced tea please. Unsweetened.
Rufus T. Firefly
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

On shore, as far as I can tell! My first solve in a few weeks, and fastest ever, so I can't help wondering whether my answer was TOO obvious...
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Done and done. I don’t think we’ve been PAGEANTed this week (like I was last week). If we were, there are two especially evil red herrings in the grid. Can’t wait to see what Matt has in store for us tomorrow in the MGWCC!
Drink_til_MT_puzzler

Post by Drink_til_MT_puzzler »

On shore, I believe twice, if that's possible (?). Like others have already mentioned, I am looking forward to some Monday shenanigans.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore!
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Felt inadequate last night after solving the grid, but a fresh cup of coffee brought me ashore this morning.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved (Cynthia J)
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Janet P wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 pm So would I be correct to infer that my background in German and Classical Greek will not be of use this week?
That sounds like a line from an Indiana Jones movie
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Trey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:30 pm Marion and I are safely on shore............thanks for creating this blog - hope all transfer, but not sure that will happen. While I understand the WSJ rationale for the change across all articles, it's a shame that there can't be an exception for this kind of blog.

Regardless, luck to all for this grail pursuit!
Trey
I communicated with Mike Miller about an exception. He inquired but got the response that they couldn't or wouldn't. The WSJ has a large number of articles about food, cars, sports, arts, houses, etc that would seem not to need the babysitting that the political, financial and opinion pieces do. He asked but did not get a good response.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Vicki and Mike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm On shore. Though we are always unsure when we seem to get the answer too easily.
That is what we call being "pageanted". See the FAQ section under Welcome Aboard for the backstory
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Diana

Post by Diana »

Toby wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 pm I’m glad to join the shore party. Trying to think of something to say that isn’t a spoiler, but can’t, so will just have a beer though the other options sound yummy.
And so many other fun things to say, but better not.

Matt made this easier than it had to be, if you know what I mean. I felt "BABIED" - to reference a recent MGWCC puzzle. I'm not complaining though. I raise my Samuel Adams to Toby and to being on shore!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Looks like I'm going to have Isaac all to myself this weekend...
Two rabbit holes so far but the bunny is being elusive.
Count me LAS but not giving up ;-)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A quick Friday report. We have 3 on the ship and 44 on the shore.

And a caution to everyone. While one post was not in the category of a flat out spoiler, it definitely was in the category of a nudge. And several of us, me included, benefitted from the nudge. So please err on the side of caution in nudges.

For our newest Muggles and those sitting on the sidelines with frustration, this afternoon I will be assembling a list of thoughts on how to best attack these metas. They will be open for addition comments and will be posted on the Welcome Aboard/FAQ sections.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

On shore. Took a minute, but easy once the path was found.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
John Bennett

Post by John Bennett »

On the beach.

Really enjoyed the grid and the meta.

I'll work on a clue for the two grid answers for a Monday post.
Don S.

Post by Don S. »

On shore, after a quick double-take.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Floundered around over lunch yesterday, but last night over dinner the light bulb went on! Count me on shore!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 am A quick Friday report. We have 3 on the ship and 44 on the shore.

And a caution to everyone. While one post was not in the category of a flat out spoiler, it definitely was in the category of a nudge. And several of us, me included, benefitted from the nudge. So please err on the side of caution in nudges.

For our newest Muggles and those sitting on the sidelines with frustration, this afternoon I will be assembling a list of thoughts on how to best attack these metas. They will be open for addition comments and will be posted on the Welcome Aboard/FAQ sections.
That will be much appreciated! I've always wanted to see some kind of tutorial for metas.