(RE) Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Post Reply
katnahat
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:11 pm
Location: Texas

#541

Post by katnahat »

Hi, I'm Kathie. I live in northeast Texas with my husband, close to two of our adult children and their spouses and our three grandchildren. Our other child lives in Dallas with his family. I am a happily retired psychotherapist. I love gardening, reading, spending time with my family and friends, knitting and just generally puttering around doing things I've never had time for. Usually in September I spend a week in Kennebunkport, Maine with a group of knitting friends, but the plague has put that on hold. Two years ago we traveled to Ireland together, which has always been a dream of mine. I adore puzzles, especially crosswords! I'm new to the forum and recently subscribed to the WSJ at my brother's suggestion, becoming addicted to the Crossword immediately. I'm new to metas and until today have been unable to solve one, but will be going back to work on old Contests to practice. I have a question: after you submit the Friday Contest, do you receive a response if you get it right? Nice to meet you all!
Kathie
SewYoung
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Location: Meridian, MS

#542

Post by SewYoung »

Hi Kathie,
Welcome to the group. Unless your correct submission is chosen as the winner after the deadline, you get no response from WSJ as to whether your answer was correct or not. If your correct is randomly chosen as the winner, you will receive an email from WSJ and once you have responded to that notification, Mike Miller with WSJ posts the results on this forum.
Glorfindel
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:06 pm

#543

Post by Glorfindel »

Hi - I'm Srinivasa, from Portland (the 'newer' one, in the Pacific NW, shall we say..). I've been solving the WSJ xword for about an year, discovering that lately after years of solving the other well known one from the Big Apple. This week's one was the first meta I could get - quite a pleasure, and a reinforcement of the humbling realization + appreciation of the skill level of many of the regular contest solvers here!
davidc
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:11 am

#544

Post by davidc »

Hi I’m David. I live in Dallas. Long time NYT crossword guy. Currently on a quest to solve all Shortz era puzzles in reverse chronological order. I’m back to late 2004. I just discovered the WSJ crossword contest and I’m hooked. Looking forward to meeting y’all online.

Btw, I really got thrown this week because the IMDB list of best picture nominees by year… didn’t include this week’s answer. Banged my head against this puzzle all weekend.

Anyhow looking forward to getting ashore and sharing a cocktail with this crew when I can!!
Katiedid
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:53 pm

#545

Post by Katiedid »

Hi, I'm Katiedid on MGWCC. I've been doing MGWCC since January 2013, and the WSJ metas since they started. I've lurked on here a while.
I am a retired engineer living in Houston. I've always liked crosswords and puzzles. I play piano and sing in a choir (until recently, it was two choirs).
It seems like this week might be a good time to get my "Better Together" achievement, so I decided to join!
GTIJohnny
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:55 pm
Location: Palatine, IL

#546

Post by GTIJohnny »

Hello,
I am John from Palatine, Illinois and a long time WSJ subscriber and Xword puzzle fanatic.

A recently retired traffic engineer, I also include cars and roller coasters among my hobbies.

I'm not much into social media but this seems like a really cool site with nice folks on it. I'm fortunate to have finally discovered it! Thanks to all who make this forum special.
keysas
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:53 pm

#547

Post by keysas »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:15 pm Hi Kathie,
Welcome to the group. Unless your correct submission is chosen as the winner after the deadline, you get no response from WSJ as to whether your answer was correct or not. If your correct is randomly chosen as the winner, you will receive an email from WSJ and once you have responded to that notification, Mike Miller with WSJ posts the results on this forum.
So when the cruise director posts the list of who is on shore as the weekend progresses, how does he get your username? I’ve been submitting correct meta puzzle answers (verified on Monday) for a few weeks, but never seem to make the list. Am I supposed to include my username in the submission email? I tried to find the answer to this question in the FAQ, but no joy.
User avatar
SReh26
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:48 pm

#548

Post by SReh26 »

keysas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:00 pm
SewYoung wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:15 pm Hi Kathie,
Welcome to the group. Unless your correct submission is chosen as the winner after the deadline, you get no response from WSJ as to whether your answer was correct or not. If your correct is randomly chosen as the winner, you will receive an email from WSJ and once you have responded to that notification, Mike Miller with WSJ posts the results on this forum.
So when the cruise director posts the list of who is on shore as the weekend progresses, how does he get your username? I’ve been submitting correct meta puzzle answers (verified on Monday) for a few weeks, but never seem to make the list. Am I supposed to include my username in the submission email? I tried to find the answer to this question in the FAQ, but no joy.
You declare yourself ashore in the meta contest board on this site.
keysas
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:53 pm

#549

Post by keysas »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 pm
keysas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:00 pm
SewYoung wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:15 pm Hi Kathie,
Welcome to the group. Unless your correct submission is chosen as the winner after the deadline, you get no response from WSJ as to whether your answer was correct or not. If your correct is randomly chosen as the winner, you will receive an email from WSJ and once you have responded to that notification, Mike Miller with WSJ posts the results on this forum.
So when the cruise director posts the list of who is on shore as the weekend progresses, how does he get your username? I’ve been submitting correct meta puzzle answers (verified on Monday) for a few weeks, but never seem to make the list. Am I supposed to include my username in the submission email? I tried to find the answer to this question in the FAQ, but no joy.
You declare yourself ashore in the meta contest board on this site.
But what if you are wrong? I guess I thought there was someone out there verifying meta-answers prior to the ashore declaration. Oh well - maybe I should be more confident in my solutions (?).
User avatar
SReh26
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:48 pm

#550

Post by SReh26 »

keysas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:12 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 pm
keysas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:00 pm

So when the cruise director posts the list of who is on shore as the weekend progresses, how does he get your username? I’ve been submitting correct meta puzzle answers (verified on Monday) for a few weeks, but never seem to make the list. Am I supposed to include my username in the submission email? I tried to find the answer to this question in the FAQ, but no joy.
You declare yourself ashore in the meta contest board on this site.
But what if you are wrong? I guess I thought there was someone out there verifying meta-answers prior to the ashore declaration. Oh well - maybe I should be more confident in my solutions (?).
Wrong, you say!!?? 😂
You’re absolutely right. We may be wrong. Declarations of being ashore aren’t guarantees, and many of us say we aren’t totally certain. Some of us confirm with more expert muggles or get nudges, but in principle no one knows if they are correct until the answer is revealed Sunday at midnight.
Ffrohbose
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Location: North Carolina

#551

Post by Ffrohbose »

I am Fred F. I live in N Carolina and spend most of my time in the pleasant town of Beaufort, at which I arrived in a circuitous fashion. In the warm months I like to paddle out to, and walk the full length of, the great Bird Shoal. In the winter there are only your friends and the wind, in the words of Bland Simpson. My wife and I often head south.

I’m a retired urologist, second generation. Also sec gen crossworder. My dad lived to be 101 and had a keen mind and worked puzzles near to the end. He did not however enter the Contest…had he, I surely would have inherited a crate of mugs given his great skill.

I was introduced to the WSJ during my college years by an elderly neighbor, who, fearful that my entire generation were budding bolscheviks, would bring over an editorial for me to read and us to discuss. I am so glad he did, introducing me to the stunning prose of fellow Tar Heel Vermont Royster among others, and to philosophy that’s helped me make some sense of a goofy world.

Also to the worlds best x word puzzles. I started in with the Contest a few years back. I win some and lose some. But finding this community has been a big win.
Post Reply