"Dude Where's My Car?" - September 10, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JJD

Post by JJD »

Finished grid, saw which direction off the boat I should head, printed out multiple copies of finished grid for markup, chicken scratches and head scratching, then finally sat down to work on it and realized: Oh!
Ashore.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Easy swim to the beach! Could've been on page one, but was in the airport with the wrong laptop when I solved and couldn't remember my muggles login/pw!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles and muggles and muggles.

First a warm welcome to our newest muggles mrmd, gibubato1, Lindsay O'Brien, cremebrulee, barney, kgiano, Bill Gibbons Fly, and Tomgebhard

We have a mob scene of 241 on the shore. A few have indicated that they have the answer but are ruminating as they are concerned about another pageant but I have counted them on shore. Isaac has sent not only boatloads of ice, beer, soda, mixers and every kind of booze, he has set up an additional 10 bars on the shore staffed by the ship's bartenders who have been playing solitaire.

Without further ado (and assuming that the forum accepts this many lines) here is the list of shore. Please note that there are a few regulars that are not on the list. I may have missed you in the crowd so accept my apologies and let me know.

sharkicicles
docison
Meg
C=64
Cindy
Cap'n Rick
Kay
Wendy
Heidi
oldjudge
MikeM000
MatthewL
streroto
D B Miller
RPardoe
Al
Gman
pjc
Jordanian
Jim and Anita
CAe39
Georgeall
Beth T
Joe R
Mike H
Bill
Commodore
Moi
stmv
joequavis
Joepickett
michaelm
minimuggle
Scott M
Franklin
JaneGummy
DCBilly
scraps
Tomgebhard
Jean
David K
boharr
woozy
Tmart
Chris
femullen
sf592000
Brian M
hunkra
escapeartist
sruss43484
Jack
mlvilv
jdb
sfed
azdataboy
David Wi
Zagman49
Steveb
RobM
jrdad
ky-mike
cinny
mbryant
TeaJenny
mikeB
Homer
auee89
Dave C
kfahey
Mary F
Haari
Beth A
Eric P
Laura
meowmiao71
Dow Jones
ajk
CallMeShane
SReh26
Richard
DrTom
JimJim
M and M
EmilyW
copperriver
BrennerTJ
benchen71
Jace54
yourpalsal
Bill Swerski 13
Deb
dplass
Guffman
MarkWoychick
iggystan
TeamDoubleTow
Cindy N
Bird Lives
SusieG
JetStream
katnahat
Lee-Ann
Glyn
hoover
architect
HeadinHome
Bill Bovard
MajorDomoTom
dudeski
Glorfindel
Shirley
otlaolap
DannyWalter
EVJ
Nalugirl
Diane
LittleGood
bskptkl
cbarbee
joe
Tina
Tom Wi
Zach
Vincent
ImOnToo
TheDeej
mntlblok
CPJohnson
jhseeman
Rad26
Littlegreycells
Greg W
ladybird
higgysue
Rita and George
b4alltime
Hidden in 3D
NuYear68
livpolfan
Omnibus
joes
DannyCincinatti
RussHiggins
lbray
eemc
BeTheLight
SewYoung
Blair
802puzzler
whimsy
MamaE
RDaleHall
JeanneC
ALS
Trey and Marion
JennyByrd
Thurman8er
qvart
brulo
Sean
Samantha
mpmanning
darth
sanmilton
Schmeel
Guy L
SingleMalt
Beth C
dpl11
Matthew
MaineMarge
RichA2
Prozach
Ergcat
periperi
Inca
shalmanezer
mattythewsjpuzzler
Kalamitykatie
Plymouth Rock
Kris Zacharias
Larrry
Ed S
Daniel G
Michael S
Edward Brading
Bill Gibbons Fly
Tom S
Katiedid
PQ63
rosiegirl
Kimberly
jmorgie7
kgiano
barney
Janet P
eagle1279
Crest
TheCatt
Doug C
PJM
pookie
Flying_Burrito
Billy M
flamingbear
fstadler
baskin93
P1h3r1e3d13
rexthree
Jennifer
cremebrulee
Susan G
GTIJohnny
Jackie88
bread-girl
JAQT
Joseph B
diplomatt
Upstater
ddb13
Malcolm P
Lindsay O'Brien
girubato1
seahawks seashanty
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
martimeryard
Phil and Kelli
HunterX
dk letter
regfish
KscX
Croakker
Jarrod
Michelle B
Fred F
mrmd
Powers2020
JRS51
James D
AnnieMac

Good luck and stay safe.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Add me to the shore party! Fun grid with the nonsense clues to the key fills.
Olof

Post by Olof »

Ashore! Hope Mike gets some of that sweet p<redacted> p<redacted> revenue from the puzzle this week! I'll have a grapefruit chu-hi.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Joining the crowd!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:59 am Good Saturday morning muggles and muggles and muggles.

Without further ado (and assuming that the forum accepts this many lines) here is the list of shore. Please note that there are a few regulars that are not on the list. I may have missed you in the crowd so accept my apologies and let me know.
I’m onshore at Post #245, Bob.
The past two weeks have made me thankful that I’m not cruise director! :lol:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:59 am Good Saturday morning muggles and muggles and muggles.

Got it

Thanks
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Quick swim ashore!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Ditto. That's quite a list!

And I'm not on it either - must have been hidden behind a palm tree.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore with the multitudes.

I'm getting spoiled and maybe a bit overconfident -- can I actually do these things? LOL They're bound to turn impossible again soon, so I am determined to enjoy this while it lasts. Monkey and tonic, with a wedge of orange, please. Cheers.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Like everyone else, ashore in a blink of an eye, without even taking a second sip of my coffee. Finished the grid just because it seemed wrong not to.

Also, I think this puzzle was chosen specifically so as not to distract from our focus on more important things. God bless. 🇺🇸
🌴🍹
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Also ashore (#98). And it may have been the first time that I didn't make a paper copy of the completed grid.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, Thursday, and done Thursday, about a minute later. Three in a row.

Rhubarb? Not sure if I've ever had it. If I have, I guess it didn't make much of an impression.

TFTXWD
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

That has to be the fastest I've ever solved a meta--13:25 start to finish, not counting the time I wasted trying to do the puzzle on my iPhone (it wouldn't let me). My best estimate on the number of correct responses is a cajillion, +/- a whole lot.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are on shore! Fun solve for a subdued day. Best to all.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

SReh26 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:46 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:52 pm ASHORE! Thank you, thank you, Matt, for taking it easy on us. I have so much to do for a very worthwhile cause this weekend (and probably for some time to come). I believe that I have mentioned in the past that I serve on our county's education foundation. Our latest partnership with the school system is a mentoring program where volunteers will meet with striving readers weekly to improve student reading proficiency in grades K-3. Most of this week has been spent interviewing candidates who will serve as coordinators at the two schools that have been chosen for our pilot program. (Third grade reading proficiency is a major fork in the road toward future student success as students need to transition from "learning to read" to "reading to learn". Students not achieving this milestone are less likely to catch up and struggle throughout their academic education.) Still lots to do to get this project off the ground!
When I was in grade school, my mom was a librarian and in the summers I participated in a Summer Reading Club held by the library. Children committed to reading a certain number of books they selected and those who completed them received gold star stickers and a certificate at a ceremony. I was an avid reader anyway, but as a child this club seemed magical and important! It’s hard to believe kids today could be motivated with gold star stickers like we were 🤣, but the club was very popular and did a lot of long term good.
Never underestimate the power of stickers. My daughter is the mother of two boys (ages 6 and 8) and she was just saying that it is amazing what they will do for stickers. They’ve come home from school with stickers that they’ve earned that they are very excited about. She thought they’d outgrown them, but nope. Glimmers of the good old days really do exist.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

EVJ wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:52 pm ASHORE! Thank you, thank you, Matt, for taking it easy on us. I have so much to do for a very worthwhile cause this weekend (and probably for some time to come). I believe that I have mentioned in the past that I serve on our county's education foundation. Our latest partnership with the school system is a mentoring program where volunteers will meet with striving readers weekly to improve student reading proficiency in grades K-3. Most of this week has been spent interviewing candidates who will serve as coordinators at the two schools that have been chosen for our pilot program. (Third grade reading proficiency is a major fork in the road toward future student success as students need to transition from "learning to read" to "reading to learn". Students not achieving this milestone are less likely to catch up and struggle throughout their academic education.) Still lots to do to get this project off the ground!
When I was in grade school, my mom was a librarian and in the summers I participated in a Summer Reading Club held by the library. Children committed to reading a certain number of books they selected and those who completed them received gold star stickers and a certificate at a ceremony. I was an avid reader anyway, but as a child this club seemed magical and important! It’s hard to believe kids today could be motivated with gold star stickers like we were 🤣, but the club was very popular and did a lot of long term good.
Never underestimate the power of stickers. My daughter is the mother of two boys (ages 6 and 8) and she was just saying that it is amazing what they will do for stickers. They’ve come home from school with stickers that they’ve earned that they are very excited about. She thought they’d outgrown them, but nope. Glimmers of the good old days really do exist.
My Mother always took us to the library over the summer (I also checked out may books from the school library during the school year) when we were small and kept a notebook with the titles that we checked out. Had those notebooks for years. Don't know what ever happened to them. One of them had Dr. Trotter and His Big Gold Watch in it multiple times. I loved that book.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:30 pm
EVJ wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm

My Mother always took us to the library over the summer (I also checked out may books from the school library during the school year) when we were small and kept a notebook with the titles that we checked out. Had those notebooks for years. Don't know what ever happened to them. One of them had Dr. Trotter and His Big Gold Watch in it multiple times. I loved that book.
I just searched for it and find that I can order it on "A" for $4.75. I just might have to do that.
mindle

Post by mindle »

on shore :)