"Dude Where's My Car?" - September 10, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Got to the puzzle late this evening. Another quick swim to shore. Missed y'all at the Tuesday Zoom. Will be out most weeks until the middle of December.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Nice quick swim during NFL opener halftime. Back at the literal beach so pulling out the Fairhope Judge Roy Bean. Cheers!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore but a bit disappointed that I didn’t even have to swim.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Too easy. Start to finish in the first half of the Buccs Cowboys game.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:52 pm ASHORE! Thank you, thank you, Matt, for taking it easy on us. I have so much to do for a very worthwhile cause this weekend (and probably for some time to come). I believe that I have mentioned in the past that I serve on our county's education foundation. Our latest partnership with the school system is a mentoring program where volunteers will meet with striving readers weekly to improve student reading proficiency in grades K-3. Most of this week has been spent interviewing candidates who will serve as coordinators at the two schools that have been chosen for our pilot program. (Third grade reading proficiency is a major fork in the road toward future student success as students need to transition from "learning to read" to "reading to learn". Students not achieving this milestone are less likely to catch up and struggle throughout their academic education.) Still lots to do to get this project off the ground!
When I was in grade school, my mom was a librarian and in the summers I participated in a Summer Reading Club held by the library. Children committed to reading a certain number of books they selected and those who completed them received gold star stickers and a certificate at a ceremony. I was an avid reader anyway, but as a child this club seemed magical and important! It’s hard to believe kids today could be motivated with gold star stickers like we were 🤣, but the club was very popular and did a lot of long term good.
Last edited by SReh26 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Meg wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:28 pm
boharr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:09 pm
TeaJenny wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Or: Are Isaac and the Cabana Boy one and the same?

Consider: They've never been seen in the same place at the same time. Plus, people are always looking for the Cabana Boy, meaning he's not always where he's expected to be. Coincidence?
We will clearly have to consult @Meg
The Cabana Boy is of Caribbean descent. He speaks Spanish, Creole and English. Isaac is from Philadelphia, I think. Plus, the Cabana Boy is taller and has abs to die for.
His disguise is perfect! No one would ever suspect. 🥸
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
SamanthaA

Post by SamanthaA »

Ashore!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, I picked a fine time to fall asleep on the job.
Now heading ASHORE to catch up with everyone and make my delivery - since I know so many will be looking to order a nice wholesome glass of milk from the Tiki Bar.
Attachments
Capturemilktruckbun.PNG
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore with all the others......feels like a crowded one this week! Count us done!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Beach is so crowded I may just need to swim laps this week. I also used meta to help solve grid this week - a first for me! Hoping for a little more “crunch” in tomorrow’s MGWCC.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ashore.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think an interesting question is if anyone dictates the difficulty level of these puzzles each week (other than February). Is it the editor or the constructors? Or both?
Heidi
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Ashore along with the multitudes! Enjoy the weekend!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MamaE wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 pm Beach is so crowded I may just need to swim laps this week. I also used meta to help solve grid this week - a first for me! Hoping for a little more “crunch” in tomorrow’s MGWCC.
Same here, after I got it I went back and backsolved the grid by filling in the remaining themers. First time for everything, I suppose.
qvart

Post by qvart »

On shore with ease.
brulo

Post by brulo »

ashore halfway through the puzzle, dark rum and ginger beer time.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Ashore although I will admit to a bit of “pageant” unease. Will have time this weekend for the US Open semis, finals and some reading. Peace to all this 9/11 weekend ✌️
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

On shore! Happy weekend
Sean

Post by Sean »

On the beach, in suspiciously fast time. I hope I'm getting better at these, and not that they're getting easier to keep the likes of me coming back.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore. Almost too easy.

ALS