"Odd Men Out" - September 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

I like how the board is updated fairly quickly.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Mark your calendars. Matt Gaffney is interviewing Pete on September 17th at 8:30 pm Eastern time on Zoom to commemorate his 10 years doing the music meta. Email details to follow.
Heidi
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Hope it is recorded as I have a dinner plans for the evening and will miss it live.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Took me a while to see it, but on the board! Now to figure out the mega meta :?: 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 pm Mark your calendars. Matt Gaffney is interviewing Pete on September 17th at 8:30 pm Eastern time on Zoom to commemorate his 10 years doing the music meta. Email details to follow.
Will the MMMM subscribers all be emailed the details?
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

MamaE wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:13 pm
hcbirker wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 pm Mark your calendars. Matt Gaffney is interviewing Pete on September 17th at 8:30 pm Eastern time on Zoom to commemorate his 10 years doing the music meta. Email details to follow.
Will the MMMM subscribers all be emailed the details?
Yes. The announcement of the Zoom interview is at the bottom of today’s puzzle e-mail sent to MMMM subscribers. Therefore the comment that details will be sent out is addressed to all MMMM subscribers.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks for posting this! I was in such a rush to get to the meta, I never even read the rest of the email.

Found this month’s in the first rabbit hole I checked. Saw what was going on while working on the grid and just put it all together when I finished.

Also got the red herring. I kind of knew what that was a while back, but with no bonus for being early, waited til it was done and took another look be confident.

No idea yet on the mega. Or rather, lots of ideas but none of them going far.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

After a months-long drought, I'm on the board again. If I keep bringing down the team average, I'll get booted from the league!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the board. I really enjoyed this one even though, once again, I have never heard of this band.
Cindy Heisler
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On the board.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

A favorite band of mine. Just started looking at these and cranked through 2021 in a couple days going 8/9 not too bad I guess. On the rare weeks I am looking for metas after putting MGWCC and WSJCC to bed I will turn to MMMM. I love music so it’s right up my alley.

Stay well all.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

On the board!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Got it, but all credit goes to hubs. He saw the path that I'm not sure would have occurred to me -- which is irritating, because I'm a much bigger fan of the solution band than he is! As usual, I'm baffled at how Pete put this together.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm traveling, so I don't get as much time as usual to look at these. My first tries were blind alleys, but this morning I had a flash of inspiration and there it was. I'm in the "didn't know the band" camp, but interesting that several Muggles know it well.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

stmv wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:11 am ....interesting that several Muggles know it well.
We are a diverse, eclectic group.
And better as a result of it.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Meta upon meta upon meta... MMM... need one more M? Needed a little help with my final answer, band not played on the Oldies channel :)
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On the board. I had the right idea a day or so ago, but didn't follow through. Finally did today.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that no Googling needed, I knew the band and I am a fan.
Last edited by iggystan on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MMMM meta maniacs

This is the link for Pete Muller/Matt Gaffney's talk on Friday. The link will be posted in the calendar at the top of the forum page and with next week's WSJ contest. The talk will be recorded and available for viewing. You will be able to ask Pete questions during the talk by raising your hand electronically or posting the questions in the chat. If you have a question beforehand send me a PM with the question.

Topic: Muller Monthly Music Meta Talk

Time: Sep 17, 2021 08:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84784161407?p ... IzcjY1dz09

Meeting ID: 847 8416 1407

Passcode: 494130
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I finally got to the solution, thanks to RPardoe's assistance, and patience. I really struggled with this one. I did the first step backwards, sort of using an odd men in approach. Then I did not see the second step, even though I was trying to use one of the four connections.

I think I may be regressing but I will soldier on.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

The solution is posted on Crossword Fiend

https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/09/12/m ... ptember-6/

so we must be past deadline and safe to discuss...

I caught a really lucky break on this one. As I was filling in the across-lite version of the grid, I first entered ADORES instead of EATSUP at 14-across. Of course I corrected that when I looked at the crosses, but as soon I saw ADORES in the "evens" at 20-across, I knew exactly what to do. Another fantastic meta from Pete!

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.