"Interstate Travel" - September 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Finally! On shore after staring and staring and staring . . . Lots of highlights before starting over with a clean grid.

MGWCC submitted this morning, WSJ Saturday Patrick Berry variety puzzle completed, and now this one. Hat trick!
Kevin
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are solidly with Isaac this week. I see things but no aha so far. Hoping to join the beach party later today. If not I will see y’all at midnight!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Thank goodness for post enlightenment! I’m ashore and can’t believe it took so long. I looked at the same entries yesterday and nothing clicked — I think I spent too much mental energy on the three “clues,” which still don’t mean anything to me.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Since the number of muggles taking the tenders has dropped off a lot, the drivers have been checking out the news and found that a guy drove through a McDonalds with three cows in his back seat.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... f-that-car
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SusieG wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 am Thank goodness for post enlightenment! I’m ashore and can’t believe it took so long. I looked at the same entries yesterday and nothing clicked — I think I spent too much mental energy on the three “clues,” which still don’t mean anything to me.
@SusieG - see the PM I sent you.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

auee89 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:19 am Finally! On shore after staring and staring and staring . . . Lots of highlights before starting over with a clean grid.

MGWCC submitted this morning, WSJ Saturday Patrick Berry variety puzzle completed, and now this one. Hat trick!
A KAS 2
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:13 am
SusieG wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 am Thank goodness for post enlightenment! I’m ashore and can’t believe it took so long. I looked at the same entries yesterday and nothing clicked — I think I spent too much mental energy on the three “clues,” which still don’t mean anything to me.
@SusieG - see the PM I sent you.
The 3 clues are what clicked for me. I can certainly see it working the other way around.
Kevin
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Scott M wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:00 am Quick trip to shore after a very late start, and a bit of a struggle with the grid. I spent a few days hanging with friends and doing our 39th Fantasy Football draft (that's since 1983 for the math-challenged), then returning home for our first tailgate and college football game since pre-COVID days. I'll celebrate with a Marzen or three at today's music festival in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Maybe weekends like this are why I struggled with the grid.
How many of the rookie first round QB''s were taken
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

REMINDER:

Tomorrow is Labor Day, so the official WSJ solution will not be posted until 4:00 PM ET, tomorrow, in Tuesday's crossword PDF.

The contest deadline is 11:59 PM tonight, so reveals will be posted at midnight.

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:30 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:20 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:07 pm I was reading some of the anguished and humorous comments from Thursday afternoon's kerfuffle to my husband. I read @802puzzler comment asking if there was a support group for people like us. My husband asked if there was a support group for the spouses of people like us! :lol:
That question has been asked more than once by long suffering, eye rolling spouses
Early on in my meta journey during an appropriate conversation, i was telling my husband about all the other Muggles’ eye-rolling spouses. His response? “I’m beyond eye-roll—I’m eye-rate!! He’s very supportive of my meta-love, but I’ve learned to respect his wish to leave him out of it. I do have to twist the knife in his chest, however, when he launches into a recap of the latest Red Sox inning…
Inspiration for Stephen King's next book.....
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

SReh26 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:06 pm hot D—N!!!

(for those wondering if I got a nudge, I would say it took the form of a raised eyebrow and the word “and??” which is hardly a nudge at all)
At least *you* didn't have your spouse giggling at all your theories. . . Woke up Saturday morning with a note on my computer desk that she had submitted her answer. :-(
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:09 am Since the number of muggles taking the tenders has dropped off a lot, the drives have been checking out the news and found that a guy drove through a McDonalds with three cows in his back seat.

Drove through McDonalds…that must have been awkward. This isn’t exactly the time of year for a filet o’fish sandwich.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday morning muggles

Things have slowed down since yesterday but the good news is that we have a new muggle - mrmjd. Welcome to the clan

We have a revolving four on the ship and 226 on the shore.

New to the ship are
pjc and
Ben B and son

While getting to the shore, many with a sore forehead as a result of a Kas 2 dope slap, are

mntlblok
LittleGood
rosiegirl
edot
RichA2
Kimberly
Phil and Kelli
Jackie88
Natalie
Andrew F
Sara Dacus
JRS51
Jack
Cosmo
James D
WSJosh
HunterX
phofer
mrmjd
CPJohnson
Scott M
lbray
Prozach
Doug C
SusieG
auee89

Stay safe and remember that you have to submit the answer by midnight tonight but there will be no WSJ tomorrow so you have to come here or to crosswordfiend.com to get the answer.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (Friday) and done (yesterday). A two-week string going.

This one really had a significant "aha" moment, and the fun just continued from there. Great meta. Still smiling!

Pecan? Just don't like it at all.

TFTXWD
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:09 am Since the number of muggles taking the tenders has dropped off a lot, the drivers have been checking out the news and found that a guy drove through a McDonalds with three cows in his back seat.

Had to pass this on to my two children who have worked the drive thru at our local McDonalds. I don't think either of them can top this....an open beer in the cup holder maybe, but that is so tame compared to multiple farm animals.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore tho I needed a strenuous boot to get me there. Very clever meta

This week's photo of the very naughty puppy. She tried to blame the kitten but I wasn't fooled!
Attachments
Dora
Dora
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

A late start, but on the beach.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Done. That was a fun one.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Made it on the shore!