"Interstate Travel" - September 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! One of my favorite metas as of recent!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Cosmo wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:22 pm On shore! One of my favorite metas as of recent!
So many people have said that - and I agree - that it’s under consideration for Meta of the Year, a new award someone suggested.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Ashore. 🏖

Surprised myself by solving this one.
Jack Sullivan
meekmouse

Post by meekmouse »

cbarbee002 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 pm
meekmouse wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:20 pm Saw something that makes me question my mechanism, but my answer seems too good to ignore...
I think the answer is a 100% if you get it.
I was just talking through the answer with my mom, who saw a different aspect of the meta... now I'm 100% that my answer is right! I just skipped a step :D
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore!
Late start this week, and I had some difficulty with the grid which took quite a bit longer to complete than usual. I was wondering if I was going to struggle with the meta for the rest of the afternoon when the AHA hit me almost immediately!
What a fun one! Brilliant construction!
JJD

Post by JJD »

Some grid struggles, but the meta came quicker than most (for me).
Ashore.
Last edited by JJD on Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

A fun and clever meta, PURe and simPLE. This morning, we headed out on our own interstate travel (many hours and many states) to see this reMARkable and not-so-TINy-anymore little guy (and his parents).
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore.

Got a very late start. Daughter had to skip this week. Son was busy. (Don't they know we've only got until Sunday at midnight!?!) Good thing the meta was relatively easy. Thought that grid was really tough.

Have to say, though the meta was "relatively easy," it was very clever. Not sure how many "steps" I'd say it was. (I keep track of "steps" as part of my crossword contest spreadsheet. Why? Don't ask me.) May take longer to write out the explanation for how to solve it than it took to solve it.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

On shore. The grid gave me fits this week, but quickly solved the meta
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

On shore for the first time!!!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore! Very enjoyable!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:20 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:07 pm I was reading some of the anguished and humorous comments from Thursday afternoon's kerfuffle to my husband. I read @802puzzler comment asking if there was a support group for people like us. My husband asked if there was a support group for the spouses of people like us! :lol:
That question has been asked more than once by long suffering, eye rolling spouses
Early on in my meta journey during an appropriate conversation, i was telling my husband about all the other Muggles’ eye-rolling spouses. His response? “I’m beyond eye-roll—I’m eye-rate!! He’s very supportive of my meta-love, but I’ve learned to respect his wish to leave him out of it. I do have to twist the knife in his chest, however, when he launches into a recap of the latest Red Sox inning…
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ashore! I am so slow. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "Oh, THAT's what those words mean." (I don't think that's a spoiler, Brian.) (But if it is, take it out.) (Thanks for the encouragement, Joe.) Still haven't read the blog. What a week.
Cynthia
Colin

Post by Colin »

Not really started,
It’s a granddaughters weekend!
Ship’s crèche Labor Day!
One world. One planet. One future.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. Didn't get started on it until Sat and spent time in a deep rabbit hole. Coffee this morning and a great a-ha moment. I really liked the grid and the meta.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Finally on shore with a little nudge.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I know I’m overthinking this one, but I’m still with Isaac. I haven’t spent much time on it this weekend because of my eye-rolling spouse who has a list of things to do this weekend that doesn’t include puzzling.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:03 pm
RPardoe wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:59 pm Houston Restaurant Week (that lasts an entire month) so had a great meal this evening.
Just got home and did the puzzle.
Solved and submitted
Similar. Nice restaurant in Northern Michigan. Terrific atmosphere. Great cocktails. BUT … blah food. ☹️ Still, had a wonderful time. THEN … solved the puzzle. Nice!

On shore!
(sigh) We've quit eating out again. TN is now the worst state for new cases per 100,000. Our local hospital just surpassed its January record for in-patient Covid cases. TN is at 40% fully vaccinated. Sad, sad, sad.
Cynthia
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On the beach after a delayed start. Full house this weekend. I will have to read the thread later. That might take more time than the solve.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Quick trip to shore after a very late start, and a bit of a struggle with the grid. I spent a few days hanging with friends and doing our 39th Fantasy Football draft (that's since 1983 for the math-challenged), then returning home for our first tailgate and college football game since pre-COVID days. I'll celebrate with a Marzen or three at today's music festival in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Maybe weekends like this are why I struggled with the grid.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain