"I Really Don't Need This!" - September 13, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

WBYonder wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:51 am After a couple weeks with Isaac, it’s good to feel terra firma (is sand really “firma?!) again.

Anybody else having trouble with the submit icon on iPad?
Welcome to the group. Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Janet wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:57 am
WBYonder wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:51 am After a couple weeks with Isaac, it’s good to feel terra firma (is sand really “firma?!) again.
I'm on my desktop, and I couldn't use the submit button either. I submitted via email instead.
On the desktop, at least, I've found that all of the grid squares need to be filled in, in pen, in order to submit from the website. (They don't have to be correct though!)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

First, fall is here. I had to turn on the heat this morning.

and a warm welcome to our newest muggles
WBYonder and b_burd here on the blog

and Malcolm P on the WSJ site

We have 6 keeping Isaac company on the ship and 84 on the shore hoping for a mug

On the ship are
GlennG
Josh
Julie O
scooby
Darryl
and Diana

The shore party includes
Al
Inca
Leslie
hector
Bird Lives
Wendy
Anita
docison
Jeanrosz
Meg
ky-mike
David K
Frankie
Janet
Toby
alan H
OGuyDave
gamera13
Les
Chris
Tmart
steveb
Moi
Juliet
Tina
Barbara K
Jenet P
itsgioyal
SewYoung
troysail
Tom Wilson
Richard
Jereemy
Thurman8er
Jack
Joe R
Heidi
darthdriessen
Mike H
joequavis
Beth T
Brian M
damefox
Jimmyjam
Eric P
Beth A
Trey and Marion
Jazzvibist
Douglas
MaineMarge
oldjudge
Mark L
Cindy
Jeff S
Rad26
b burd
Gerry
tim1217
bobbydeee
Emily K
Jeffrey G
kas
Michael
Malcolm P
Jim and Anita
Bill K
DBMiller
Brian
Peter L
sharkicicles
Jennifer
STL-D
FrankH
Bunella
Tom S
Fred K
Orsys
Guy L
John B
Barry
Glyn
Diane
WBYonder
and Cynthia J

With more to come to joing the shore party
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Away on vacation for a few weeks, thankfully came back to something I could solve. In contrast to the puzzle title, I guess I did really need this. Clever construction as always, though I will be interested to hear the postmortem on this. The grid was hard as the solvers know and those trying to solve will probably determine, but once you solve it the next step is a KAS 1.

Perhaps haggis and gin just sharpened my brain? (individually of course, not a suggestion for a new cocktail called called the Bobby Heartburns)

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

Laura M wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:45 am
Janet wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:57 am
I'm on my desktop, and I couldn't use the submit button either. I submitted via email instead.
On the desktop, at least, I've found that all of the grid squares need to be filled in, in pen, in order to submit from the website. (They don't have to be correct though!)
Thanks, I’ll try that!

Edit: That worked! You have to have it all filled out, in pen. Thanks again!
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Ashore. Intuited based on comments and the clues, but I'm really interested to see if there's a mechanic in the puzzle that I'm missing.
ArnoldMBrockman

Post by ArnoldMBrockman »

Very Clever and Challenging. I Am (I Believe) Safely On Shore
Patty

Post by Patty »

I missed last week’s puzzle but I did pick up some of the crumbs leading to the answer so I shall count it as: *Not Solved*

But this week, on shore!
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Friend helped me solve it, and all I'll say now is I get it but don't really "get it."
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

quick solve. hated it. pheh
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 am Go ahead and put it down, but pick it up again shortly before the deadline and you may see a path. I had to look up what I came up with to verify before submitting and found that it was a 100%er.
Thanks for the encouragement. :) I keep going back to it, but not seeing it. I look forward to reading the explanation & learning yet another way to solve these.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore. I enjoyed my two weeks on the boat with Isaac but it's time for a change of scene. I enjoyed the grid as much as the meta. Just one little niggling point that I will hold until Monday.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

AnnP wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:38 pm On shore. I enjoyed my two weeks on the boat with Isaac but it's time for a change of scene. I enjoyed the grid as much as the meta. Just one little niggling point that I will hold until Monday.
Just one little niggling point …….. Me too. Probably the same one.
Diana

Post by Diana »

billkatz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:49 pm I'm safely ashore!
@Bill Katz - I like your avatar. Clever!
Diana

Post by Diana »

Don't know why I'm here, wandering aimlessly about. I do plan to solve tonight. I see the gimmick, so to speak, but I still need to finish grid. So count me with Isaac.
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:24 am I am stuck, seeing nothing except the first step.
I don't know...to me there is just one step. I can imagine people not recognizing this celebrity.
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

The grid was more challenging than the meta, as others have found.
Filled in the grid and submitted. This must be a 100%er.
On the beach enjoying an after dinner calice of 20-year old port.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

FrancesY wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:36 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:24 am I am stuck, seeing nothing except the first step.
I don't know...to me there is just one step. I can imagine people not recognizing this celebrity.
What I meant is....this meta-solving method, or strategy, is one that gives me difficulty, and sometimes I don't even think of it until after I see the answer and then think, "Oh, yeah, I should've tried that." More explanation after the deadline.
Cynthia
TMart

Post by TMart »

I take back my "Meh" - I just got this. Boy, do I feel stupid. I knew Matt wouldn't let me down with a bad meta, so I'm glad I kept looking before submitting. This was a pretty good one - it all makes sense now.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Finally on shore, after discovering that I made a very false assumption. Hats off to those who kept a much clearer mind than I did.