"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

On shore!
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore!

Wow and wow. First wow - clever construction as always. Second wow - my solving time, which is certainly an anomaly this year!

I usually wait for the print edition but given my slowness in solving lately, I thought I'd get an early start. Maybe my brain works better on weeknights than on the weekend.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

On shore! Nice to finish one on a Thursday for a change.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:07 pm Let's see who can come up with the best clue for the two grid answers combined. I have some ideas but they are not clever.
Love this idea!! I can't wait to see what this clever group comes up with. Plus, it will give my two remaining brain cells something muggly to do this weekend.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:07 pm Let's see who can come up with the best clue for the two grid answers combined. I have some ideas but they are not clever.
We should submit our clues on Monday. Should be a fun read! (Heidi)
Heidi
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore with following winds. Agree one less nudge would have upped the Kas factor on this one. But it’s nice to have it out of the way.

And this is a MGWCC comment but Gentle April could turn into Monsoon May soon enough!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm joining the shore party. Amazing how Matt et al keep coming up with all these clever ideas!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
a3jay

Post by a3jay »

Happy to be on shore, but I doubt I would have made it without (what I assume others are referring to as) the nudge.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore - another fun puzzle from Matt. Restraining myself from posting longer comments that would continue the theme - I'd like to see some of those on Monday as well!
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore!
Howard

Post by Howard »

Done and done! Loved it.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On the beach. 8-) I agree with those predicting high numbers this week.
ALS

Post by ALS »

On shore. Definitely needed the nudge.

Is anyone else having antivirus/firewall issues with this site? On my PC, Norton keeps warning me that this is a scary unknown site. I've gotten about five warning messages in the past five minutes. (Oddly, though, when I've visited the site on my phone, Norton hasn't seemed to care.)

ALS
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are safely on shore............thanks for creating this blog - hope all transfer, but not sure that will happen. While I understand the WSJ rationale for the change across all articles, it's a shame that there can't be an exception for this kind of blog.

Regardless, luck to all for this grail pursuit!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

ALS wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 pm Is anyone else having antivirus/firewall issues with this site? On my PC, Norton keeps warning me that this is a scary unknown site. I've gotten about five warning messages in the past five minutes. (Oddly, though, when I've visited the site on my phone, Norton hasn't seemed to care.)

ALS
ALS, are you using the "https" URL? Try typing or cut-and-paste this into your browser:

forums
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍹

Enjoyed it!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Toes in sand! Though I'll admit, I didn't look for the nudge until reading of it here. Thanks, forum!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore with a little help from Mr. G
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director