"Some Real Duds In There" - August 27, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:03 pm
SReh26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Pay down your highest interest rate debt first.

Do a cash out refi and put the extra in Ethereum.

Then catch one of those annuities cruises!

sarc
and my responses, for those who missed it!

(to me this is hilarious, but that probably says something about me)
The answer is 42. But I forgot what the question is.

Hope that's not a spoiler. If it is, I have the wrong answer.
Coincidentally, today is my 42nd birthday! :D

And we're having a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed party!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

My guess is Isaac is using a pseudonym and often gets ashore on the first few pages.

Ever notice how he carries a little note pad and pencil with him and scrolls back and stares at it from time to time when not taking drink orders? You know it!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Since Abide has posted his puzzle answer (really fun puzzle this week, too!), I suggest we address Isaac’s “Low Spirits” by having him boat over to the shore and get on the “limbo” line. He can take my place right behind “the cabana boy”.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Only looked at it last night and seemed to quickly have an answer....with some help from a search engine, as other have noted! I would agree with the rating of its difficulty, and that might indicate a problem. I seem to remember that Matt's pattern on his own website is for the metas to get increasingly difficult as the month goes on. This is the 28th-29th. So.....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

First thing is for everyone in IDA's way, please be careful and go somewhere safe.

And we have two new muggles since yesterday - TheDeej and Ann Verderber

We are easing closer to the record of 250 as we now have 239 on the shore including Madhatter5. Isaac is using the time to restock from the past week where he had a lot of business. He asked me to thank those on the ship for the generous tips.

The new shore people are
Les
Jack
Cosmo
James D
Joseph B
ImOnToo
JAQT
diplomatt
Fishoutowater
mikeB
Natalie
flyingMoose
TheDeej
Ann Verderber
Colin
madhatter5
Tom S
Crest
Billy M

finally thanks for everyone who picked up my mistakes yesterday. I am probably the world's worst proofreader of my own stuff.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

I’ve been surging today to provide a
Solution before I’m denied a
Internet link
Then my options will shrink
Of getting ashore before Ida

Will this week be the week that perchance
A new shot at the mug will advance?
Will the fates all align
To create that design…
Naw, I’ve barely a ghost of a chance!

Ashore but not on the beach. We are already hunkering down here in Mobile where we will be experiencing the extended effects of the storm to our west for the next three days. Thoughts and prayers for our neighbors along the Gulf coast. Stay safe.

I have a third NSFM (Not Safe For Muggles) stanza that I hope to be able to post tomorrow.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
KscX

Post by KscX »

I have been enjoying the shore all weekend.
Abide

Post by Abide »

On shore to help set the record.

Currently in Biloxi only a drizzle with 25-30 mph wind gusts. We are fortunate to be outside the cone. It's actually nice and cool on my back porch.

My MMM contest is over but I think some of you will enjoy this Week 1-2 ish meta:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1151
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Count me ashore. I wouldn't mind someone sending me a PM to check my answer though.

EDIT: Thanks ZooAnimalsOnWheels and boharr for the check.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Made it to the shore.
Here's to setting a record.
Muggles rock the world!
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are safe on shore this week. Thinking of our neighbors in south Louisiana and Mississippi today. The Cajun Navy will be busy today and Houston stands ready to assist.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

TeaJenny wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:49 am
Coincidentally, today is my 42nd birthday! :D

And we're having a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed party!
Happy Birthday, TJ!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Stay safe, Abide, Limerick S., and all our gulf coast muggles!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (Thursday) and done (yesterday).

Yep, it took me two days to come up with the answer, only because Mr. G. wasn't being cooperative for quite some time. It's a strange feeling seeing so many past the finish line, and being stuck on step one wondering what the heck I'm missing. But all's well now.

Also a big fan of blueberry, and french apple, especially Tastykake's!

TFTXWD
periperi

Post by periperi »

Ashore -- just got back from vacation and got this one as fast as I have in awhile.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:17 pm
Ergcat wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:39 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:30 pm

fight w relatives like I’m doing?
I’m using my “free time” to pack to go to Iceland 🇮🇸 on Tuesday!
Great place to go. Will you go down to the volcano?
Probably not. Not enough time in the itinerary! The hike to the volcano is pretty steep in places, a round trip hike takes about 4 hrs and the volcano has been active sometimes/and quiet sometimes lately. We had thought about a helicopter tour of it but they are all booked. We will be doing glacier, ice cave and lava tube hikes, a whale watching tour, and a couple of geothermal pools. We’ll be busy doing the entire ring road in 8 days!
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore. I'm not surprised that the shore is so crowded this week. But with all the movie talk I am surprised (unless I missed something in the 300+ posts) that there is no discussion of our favorite movie snacks. Milk Duds for me. :)
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DaveWa wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 pm I'm ashore. I'm not surprised that the shore is so crowded this week. But with all the movie talk I am surprised (unless I missed something in the 300+ posts) that there is no discussion of our favorite movie snacks. Milk Duds for me. :)
Junior mints for me. I had such a craving for them during my first pregnancy. Triggered, I think, by the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is observing an operation and a Junior Mint goes flying into the operating field.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:29 pm
DaveWa wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 pm I'm ashore. I'm not surprised that the shore is so crowded this week. But with all the movie talk I am surprised (unless I missed something in the 300+ posts) that there is no discussion of our favorite movie snacks. Milk Duds for me. :)
Junior mints for me. I had such a craving for them during my first pregnancy. Triggered, I think, by the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is observing an operation and a Junior Mint goes flying into the operating field.
Dots when in theater.
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

I think that I'm ashore, although I haven't had the "click" that makes me 100% sure.