"Starting Positions" - August 20, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Mattbelc16

Post by Mattbelc16 »

Richard wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:29 pm Got it with some help. Actually like many got two answers, one fits the title.

Too early in SoCal for a drink but will enjoy Dewars on the rocks later.
Could definitely use a hint if anyone is in the giving mood!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Ok I solved it but don’t like it…
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

CopperRiver wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:04 pm On shore with slight nudge thanks to Sreh26!
it was VERY slight...
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Well it is another Sunday night miracle for us and we have made it to shore! Son sat down with me tonight for a last effort and he discovered the step I had been missing. It’s good to be back at the cabana after a few rough weeks.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

A3BDE48D-AEC6-421D-A8D6-3E52F7492A00.jpeg
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

My last post was on August 7 because I've been having way too much fun with our granddaughter! She loved the fairy garden I created before her arrival, especially the notes she received from the two fairies who live there. (She named them Glitter and Sparkle, BTW.) She also loved the beach at Hilton Head Island where we've vacationed for the last week, as you can see below. Now I have to design another fairy garden for her next visit. I've been told this one must have a beach theme with conch shells as fairy houses!

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
This is a fairy garden I made for my school.
Heidi
ajk

Post by ajk »

Ashore after a kindly nudge that focused my efforts. Don't think I would ever have gotten there on my own, so kudos to those that spotted the path amidst the dense underbrush while avoiding breaking an ankle in one of the many rabbit holes.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I think I’m just chasing my tail at this point. There are so many rabbit holes, but none give me a five letter word. This must be beyond my capabilities. We are leaving town very early tomorrow morning, so I am packing it in so I can pack and get in bed early. Congratulations to the solvers and good luck winning the mug! Looking forward to seeing the answer tomorrow.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Summer brain still LAS.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore ... potentially. I have a distinct mechanism and an answer that works with the title, but it never quite clicked into place. Submitting with fingers crossed that my streak hits 40 and doesn't go back to 0.
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Accepting defeat for the second week in a row, it’s killing me.

Stay well all
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Accepting defeat for the second week in a row, it’s killing me.

Stay well all
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Guess we'll slink to shore under the cover of darkness. What, exactly, are the penalties for arriving with less than full logic for a plausible answer?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:58 pm A3BDE48D-AEC6-421D-A8D6-3E52F7492A00.jpeg
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

My last post was on August 7 because I've been having way too much fun with our granddaughter! She loved the fairy garden I created before her arrival, especially the notes she received from the two fairies who live there. (She named them Glitter and Sparkle, BTW.) She also loved the beach at Hilton Head Island where we've vacationed for the last week, as you can see below. Now I have to design another fairy garden for her next visit. I've been told this one must have a beach theme with conch shells as fairy houses!

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
This is a fairy garden I made for my school.
For those of us who are less informed, what is a fairy garden?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:40 pm Guess we'll slink to shore under the cover of darkness. What, exactly, are the penalties for arriving with less than full logic for a plausible answer?
The next round is on you. But this week it will be a very inexpensive round and you will be sharing the cost with many others.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

There has been more than a little struggling to the shore since lunch and more towels being thrown in the ocean.

Our final count is 60 on the ship and 88 on the shore.

Fewest on the shore since November 6, 2020 - Fresh State by MG

And most on the ship since October 23, 2020 - Just A Step More by MG

Emerging from the ships rabbit holes to the bar since lunch are

Kristen123
Zagman49
eagle1279
Annabelle
KFB
cheryl w
sf592000
michaelm
Ben B and son
jmorgie7
clueless_solver
LoneSolver
Tripod

And making it to the shore in various ways are

Deb
Prozach
KscX
Jeremy
ReB
Guy L
flamingbear
Heidi
mattythewsjpuzzler
Richard
rosiegirl
Phil and Kelli
Flying_Burrito
architect
copperriver
Cosmo
Jean
ajk
Mattbel16

Have a safe week and good luck winning the mug. Make our muggle streak 2
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Late to report, but ashore - after redirection away from several shiny objects, it was a quick swim. 🏊🏻‍♀️🏖🍹
-Tamara
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Oddly enough, I seem to be straddling two shores.
There seem to be ways of justifying both answers.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

After a full weekend of chasing rabbits, I’ve had a late revelation and am ASHORE with an answer that seems right enough to submit, with three hours to spare. A celebratory shot of James Beam, please. Wow that was a toughie!
pookie

Post by pookie »

I'm throwing in towel too. I keep staring at the stuff I saw when I first solved the puzzle. No meta for me!
I even used my "phone a friend" but she's a 25-hour person, so I never know when she's awake. She wasn't.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Pulling the plug on this one. My 34 week streak is at an end. Here's to starting a new one next week.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain