"Starting Positions" - August 20, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:49 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

My last post was on August 7 because I've been having way too much fun with our granddaughter! She loved the fairy garden I created before her arrival, especially the notes she received from the two fairies who live there. (She named them Glitter and Sparkle, BTW.) She also loved the beach at Hilton Head Island where we've vacationed for the last week, as you can see below. Now I have to design another fairy garden for her next visit. I've been told this one must have a beach theme with conch shells as fairy houses!

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
Bet there's an interesting story behind that missing central. Certain that it's unrelated to poor grandparent baby-sittage.
Yes, and thank goodness neither DH nor I was involved in that little accident. She fell getting out of the tub and knocked out that sweet little tooth. The pediatric dentist would like to place some sort of spacer there to ensure that there will be enough room for the permanent tooth, but Elise needs to be able to sit by herself in the chair (as in not on her mommy's lap). They are trying again in a few weeks.
Sara
clueless_solver

Post by clueless_solver »

Okay I did just stumble across something that gave a five-letter word, but I am only like 30% confident that it's right. Seems too simple. Think I'll take a break for now and try again later.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

We'd appreciate a nudge to find the right rabbit hole, if anyone is willing.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:53 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

My last post was on August 7 because I've been having way too much fun with our granddaughter! She loved the fairy garden I created before her arrival, especially the notes she received from the two fairies who live there. (She named them Glitter and Sparkle, BTW.) She also loved the beach at Hilton Head Island where we've vacationed for the last week, as you can see below. Now I have to design another fairy garden for her next visit. I've been told this one must have a beach theme with conch shells as fairy houses!

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
What a sweet beach pic with your granddaughter! Do you have a picture of your fairy garden as well? I've wondered about making one in my garden at home.
Yes, I'll send it to you in a PM, along with how I got started on my fairy garden. DH just arrived home with the groceries, so I'll get back to you soon!
Sara
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got it with some help. Actually like many got two answers, one fits the title.

Too early in SoCal for a drink but will enjoy Dewars on the rocks later.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:57 am Good Sunday morning muggles

I hope everyone in Henri's way are staying safe.

And we have a new muggle - Laurab - welcome to the group

For new muggles, we have some guidance for asking for nudges at Come Aboard/FAQ - Community/Solving Resources - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=390 and under the Acapulco Lounge/Nudge Culture viewtopic.php?f=13&t=610

In general, don't just broadcast that you need a nudge. Find someone who is on the shore and PM them with what you have done and where you are stuck.

Mike has definitely thrown us a toughie as we have 53 on the ship and 69 on the shore.

New to the ship's bar since yesterday are
pjc
otlaolap
seahawks seashanty
mbryant
MikeM000
Thurman8er
woozy
Colin
Beth A
escapeartist
whimsy
Peter L
minimuggle
MamaE
WSJosh
NDStegs
JRS51
Levi12

While getting private tender trips to shore or being assisted by the life guards are

JaneGummy
Laurab
Cuse
Schmeel
cbarbee
ladybird
Orsys

Good luck to all and stay safe
Captain Bob--Make it an even 70. Missed me.
Zagman49

Post by Zagman49 »

Definitely out to sea and drifting. First time stumped in weeks. The only five letter word that makes sense at this point is "Isaac". Would love a nudge or a shove to get off this stool.

EDIT: Just read the Muggles guidance on nudges. I withdraw my plea for assistance and will continue reminating unchaperoned. Looks like I'll need to get comfortable on this stool or find a table to socially distance myself.
Last edited by Zagman49 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
architect

Post by architect »

On shore and keeping dry as Henri blows on by.

Glad not to be at sea in either sense.
Preterosso

Post by Preterosso »

On shore, after swimming the entire English Channel for hours and hours. TONS of red herrings kept us company, though….
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

No longer lost at sea
nor struggling with ennui
a downgrade has hit Henri
peaceful here in the city

stay safe all!
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

stuck at zero ... negative insight if that were possible. would appreciate any nudge ... thx
C=64

Post by C=64 »

mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:36 pm
A bit surprised to run across a few grammatical errors this weekend in the forum. :-)
I don't think this comment was necessary. We often have good-natured debates about punctuation, but everyone involved is a willing participant.
clueless_solver

Post by clueless_solver »

Okay, I think I'd like a nudge. Have an answer but it doesn't make sense with the title, so I think it's a lost cause for now.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Likely staying with Isaac to swab the decks.
Mad respect to those who solved.
Never got out of my own way.
Good luck and let’s keep the mug in the forum family!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:17 pm
mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
Bet there's an interesting story behind that missing central. Certain that it's unrelated to poor grandparent baby-sittage.
Yes, and thank goodness neither DH nor I was involved in that little accident. She fell getting out of the tub and knocked out that sweet little tooth. The pediatric dentist would like to place some sort of spacer there to ensure that there will be enough room for the permanent tooth, but Elise needs to be able to sit by herself in the chair (as in not on her mommy's lap). They are trying again in a few weeks.
Hmmm. . .
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are keeping Isaac company this week. Not too much time to spend with school starting tomorrow but I don’t think any amount of time would help with this one. KAS 5. Looking forward to reading the answer tonight!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Got a late start, the meta seemed too simple for a 3 stars but at this point i am going for it
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On shore with slight nudge thanks to Sreh26!
LoneSolver

Post by LoneSolver »

I think I've paid my dues on this one. Could sure use a nudge!
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

We’ll my Thursday crossword plans were thwarted by a trip to the ER for an emergency appendectomy! I’ve returned home and feeling better — would like to say the same about the meta, but am going to chalk this week up as a big L. Here’s to next week!