"Starting Positions" - August 20, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Still on the boat. Can't see any path leading anywhere. Sigh. How many 5-letter words are there in English, anyway?
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:45 am Still with Isaac. Funny I see 0 answers not two!
Update: I am a complete moron. On shore. 100% click. Kept saying "something is special about..." and then obvious. But never have I ever seen so many rabbit holes.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Shoved to shore.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally on shore! I would've kicked myself if I hadn't gotten it before deadline. Now I can finally look at MGWCC.
Heidi
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore after a hint so 1/2 credit and won’t submit. But I still feel like those rabbit holes must be for SOMETHING! [but they aren’t … just put the puzzle away….]
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore!
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

Still stumped. Looks like my short streak will be broken.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Annabelle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:42 pm Still on the boat. Can't see any path leading anywhere. Sigh. How many 5-letter words are there in English, anyway?
Annabelle - this won't help but according the scrabble dictionary there are 8,996 five letter English words. Odds are not in your favor - sorry.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I'm not 100% I'm on shore because of the difficulty rating, but I'm submitting an answer that seems reasonable.
Matt / Flamingbear
ReB

Post by ReB »

Still on shore with little opportunity remaining to take another look.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore, but can take absolutely no credit in getting myself there. Thanks to boharr for prodding me along until I found the answer. (the correct answer....I found a lot of answers!) For all of you who arrived at the answer on your own, you are truly exceptional in my book! Definitely not submitting even though I figure my chances at being picked would be better than most weeks since the puzzle was so difficult!
Kristen123

Post by Kristen123 »

Would love a nudge…
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I hadn’t looked at this since Friday, but I’m finally onshore. I see two possible elegant answers but one, IMO, is more elegant than the other. Now if I could just get a toehold onto MGWCC!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

My last post was on August 7 because I've been having way too much fun with our granddaughter! She loved the fairy garden I created before her arrival, especially the notes she received from the two fairies who live there. (She named them Glitter and Sparkle, BTW.) She also loved the beach at Hilton Head Island where we've vacationed for the last week, as you can see below. Now I have to design another fairy garden for her next visit. I've been told this one must have a beach theme with conch shells as fairy houses!
Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
KFB

Post by KFB »

My starting position is thus far my ending position, although I'm technically going around in circles, with the circles turning into a vortex. Any nudges would be thankfully accepted before I'm too dizzy.
Thanks in advance...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:13 am
LadyBird wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:14 am I am onshore with a delicate, and beautiful, nudge. In my personal records I am counting this as a solve (with an asterisk!) since the nudge was tiny, but I won't be submitting. I'll have a Bloody Mary at this early hour.

The board is awfully quiet this weekend. Is it because all of the East coast Muggles are battening down the hatches (stay safe!) or is it because everyone is so lost in rabbit holes that they aren't coming up for air?
My ladybird

My observation is that the quietness is a result of the challenge is finding the first step. And there are a lot of rabbit holes that everyone is looking into.

On the birding front, I almost got impaled by a Northern Mockingbird yesterday while I was walking. A flash of white and grey about a foot from my head as one chased the other.
Northern Mockingbirds are not a frequent sighting around here, unfortunately--although I did see a few when we were at a wedding in St. Louis earlier this summer. You might need a bike helmet on your walks!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

My last post was on August 7 because I've been having way too much fun with our granddaughter! She loved the fairy garden I created before her arrival, especially the notes she received from the two fairies who live there. (She named them Glitter and Sparkle, BTW.) She also loved the beach at Hilton Head Island where we've vacationed for the last week, as you can see below. Now I have to design another fairy garden for her next visit. I've been told this one must have a beach theme with conch shells as fairy houses!

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
Bet there's an interesting story behind that missing central. Certain that it's unrelated to poor grandparent baby-sittage.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:24 pm On shore! (Whether it's the right shore remains to be seen, but I've only found one answer and I'm goin' with it!)

Elise HHI 8.20.21.JPG
What a sweet beach pic with your granddaughter! Do you have a picture of your fairy garden as well? I've wondered about making one in my garden at home.
clueless_solver

Post by clueless_solver »

At sea still, after two hours hacking away on Friday (with a group) and today (solo). I see SO many possibilities for things to explore, but each time I either can't come up with something involving 5, or it's so tenuous that it's silly. I have one thing that seems the most promising but can't figure out how step 1 would work, much less step 2! Lots of fruitless googling.

Side note, does anyone else have issues with getting stuck on double letters? I can only think of one or two puzzles where the mechanism ended up being double letters, but still I fixate on them every single time and think "AHA! This time, it must be that! This can't be a coincidence!" Alas, almost every time it is a coincidence. I feel like it's distracting me from the real mechanism ... or maybe not, I have no clue :)
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

I am stuck on the ship and, browsing the forum, it appears that I am in good company.