"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Got beamed up and landed down at the beach.
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

After having been a member of the Muggle community for some time now, and occassionally following and laughing along with some of the banter and give and take between members in the form of puns, poems, and other suggestive offerings regarding the current puzzles, I am offended that my use of humor in suggesting that a meta solution was easy in some way as to be construed as a spoiler, and then to have my comments removed as such is redicuious. It was not even a close call and was probably removed for it's completely uncontroversial subject matter that did not quite agree with the staid views of the complainer(s) or moderator??
So I guess it's "Adieu, XWORD MUGGLES FORUM" A little uptight for me.
Don't bother commenting as you will just be talking to yourselves.
Fuggedabowdit
Last edited by fuggedabowdit on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Well. I found some letters that make a word that fits the theme. Little confidence, but submitting as a guess. Looking forward to midnight, I gott see this one.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On the beach with some help. All the comments make sense now.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm On the beach with some help. All the comments make sense now.
well, maybe not ALL of them.... 😉
Grdngrrl

Post by Grdngrrl »

This is my second time solving the Friday puzzle. I could use a nudge....Anyone? I'll send what I have so far....
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:41 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm On the beach with some help. All the comments make sense now.
I REALLY want to know what that spoiler was. . .
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

DannyWalter wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:58 pm
Right? I look away for a second and I miss an alley fight! 😂
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 pm Our final report is a little early as the tenders are sitting idle (and I have an early tee time)

The final count is 19 on the ship and 156 on the shore

The last foursome to join the bridge tournament are

802puzzler
rtwitchell
lbray
Bonnibel

while these muggles made it to the shore in some cases carried by the coast guard

michaelm
ajk
MatthewL
fuggedabowdit
mlvilv
Jeremy
iggystan
cinny
ReB
littlepigeon
higgysue
Geezer Weezer
livpolfan

Have a good week. We will see you Tuesday. Don't forget MMM and MEOW. And good luck winning the mug

Didn’t make it! 🌊 Still at sea 🌊
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

fuggedabowdit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 pm After having been a member of the Muggle community for some time now, and occassionally following and laughing along with some of the banter and give and take between members in the form of puns, poems, and other suggestive offerings regarding the current puzzles, I am offended that my use of humor in suggesting that a meta solution was easy in some way as to be construed as a spoiler, and then to have my comments removed as such is redicuious. It was not even a close call and was probably removed for it's completely uncontroversial subject matter that did not quite agree with the staid views of the complainer(s) or moderator??
Fuggedabowdit
Bye.
woozy

Post by woozy »

fuggedabowdit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 pm ...I am offended that my use of humor in suggesting that a meta solution was easy in some way as to be construed as a spoiler, and then to have my comments removed as such is redicuious. It was not even a close call and was probably removed for it's completely uncontroversial subject matter that did not quite agree with the staid views of the complainer(s) or moderator??
That is an awful lot of inference from a single data point....
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:59 pm

Right? I look away for a second and I miss an alley fight! 😂
classic name though! ideal. much better than mine.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still at sea.

Edit: Now on shore after a glass of Pinot Noir
Last edited by WSJosh on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Being a moderator is always a thankless job. Whatever they decide about any post, someone is going to be annoyed.

And on this forum, they have the additional burden of risking having their own personal solves spoiled since they have to see every potential spoiler that is posted. I sure would not want to do that.

So I’m grateful that they’re willing to take on the task to provide a spoiler free forum for the rest of us. And if their decisions are sometimes more conservative than you’d wish, oh well, better that than risking spoiling someone’s fun.

And the deadline is never more than a few days away, after which all clever comments are welcomed.
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

Anyone want to provide a last minute nudge? I’ve been convinced I have the right lead for 3 days and can’t find anything.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:32 pm Being a moderator is always a thankless job. Whatever they decide about any post, someone is going to be annoyed.

And on this forum, they have the additional burden of risking having their own personal solves spoiled since they have to see every potential spoiler that is posted. I sure would not want to do that.

So I’m grateful that they’re willing to take on the task to provide a spoiler free forum for the rest of us. And if their decisions are sometimes more conservative than you’d wish, oh well, better that than risking spoiling someone’s fun.

And the deadline is never more than a few days away, after which all clever comments are welcomed.
Well said Barbara! And on behalf of strong willed, hot blooded individuals everywhere, may I add that sometimes we are on edge about other matters and lash out inappropriately at the wrong thing but later regret doing so. But at least we do so with panache, if not aplomb!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I saw the spoiler, quoted the spoiler, and didn’t even figure out it was a spoiler. That’s just how lost I am.
Lube On

Post by Lube On »

I'd love a nudge also. Feel like I'm close.
Lube On

Post by Lube On »

I'd love a nudge also. Feel like I'm close.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I submitted an answer this afternoon. I hope I am on the right beach.