"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

I am definitely NOT high however I still need a lil nudge. maybe I've had too much coffee. Trying not to overthink.
🌴🍹
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Finally on the beach. As usual, I overcomplicated it. I’m still lost in space on the MGWCC however.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm
rtwitchell wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:00 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Interesting! SReh26 actually has a meaning but thats not it. And no one has asked me yet... because you are all SO DURN POLITE! Which I love, and it’s rare where I live.

And yes, I agree there is merit in consistency, much as a slavish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. No risk of that with you all!
Yes, I want to change my screen name also! After a few months as a muggle I have something more appropriate in mind. Can someone give me a nudge on how that is done?
Send a PM to Brian Mac and Joe Ross. In general we have not gotten in the habit of changing names. The only time I am aware that we have done it is when we had a Ladybyrd (now Jennybyrd) and a Ladybird at the same time. We have lived with joe, joes, joedbee, joevdz, Joey Avacado, Joe and Cathy, joequavis, JoePickett, and Joe Ross. We have two Tom Wilson's, one of which is 31Down, three Beth's (A, C and T), and Olaf and an Olof.
Maybe it’s my imagination but I seem to remember someone using an asterisked expletive as a screen name for a short period of time before being chided to change it. (Unless I’m thinking about another forum).
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:02 pm
fuggedabowdit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm
mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Oh, that's harsh.
[spoiler removed]
Oh, *now* I get it. (Possible spoiler).

[spoiler removed]
[spoiler removed]
Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
livpolfan

Post by livpolfan »

Nudge, anyone? Gone down every rabbit hole I've come across, but to no avail.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Ashore at last!! Struggled with this and the MGWCC this week, but ended up solving both today.
Cindy Heisler
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I have not had much time this weekend. I got the fill but struggled with the meta so I switched to MGWCC. For some reason the meta jumped out at me on that one. I was hoping momentum would carry me to a solve on this one. So far, I am stuck on the boat with Isaac.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore.

(Or so I think. The suggestion of looking at old puzzles gave me an idea which I believe is correct. I didn't get to spend much time with this and I am glad I didn't, they cause me too much stress.)
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore after taking a fresh look this evening and various pieces suddenly fell into place.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Yes, I want to change my screen name also! After a few months as a muggle I have something more appropriate in mind. Can someone give me a nudge on how that is done?
Send a PM to Brian Mac and Joe Ross. In general we have not gotten in the habit of changing names. The only time I am aware that we have done it is when we had a Ladybyrd (now Jennybyrd) and a Ladybird at the same time. We have lived with joe, joes, joedbee, joevdz, Joey Avacado, Joe and Cathy, joequavis, JoePickett, and Joe Ross. We have two Tom Wilson's, one of which is 31Down, three Beth's (A, C and T), and Olaf and an Olof.
Maybe it’s my imagination but I seem to remember someone using an asterisked expletive as a screen name for a short period of time before being chided to change it. (Unless I’m thinking about another forum).
I believe that you are correct.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I had the meta solved on Thursday but I was on a sailboat all weekend so I couldn’t say I was on shore when I was on the boat! So now I am on shore on shore.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:23 am
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:25 am
otlaolap wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 am
If that isn't a Monty Python bit it ought to have been -- got to the second line or so and the visual imagery of Python people took over my mind, and the voices I heard as I read the rest all had Python parody accents.
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'" - Spamalot
Skip(ped) a bit, Sister...

It also reminds me of that scene in the second season of Blackadder, where he's trying to teach Baldrick to add.

Blackadder : Right Baldrick, let's try again shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more beans, what do I have?

Baldrick : Some beans.

Blackadder : Yes... and no. Let's try again shall we? I have two beans, then I add two more beans. What does that make?

Baldrick : A very small casserole.

Blackadder : Baldrick, the ape creatures of the Indus have mastered this. Now try again. One, two, three, four. So how many are there?

Baldrick : Three.

Blackadder : What?

Baldrick : ...and that one.

Blackadder : Three and that one. So if I add that one to the three what will I have?

Baldrick : Oh. Some beans.

Blackadder : Yes. To you Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

fuggedabowdit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm
mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:15 pm
fuggedabowdit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:40 pm Ashore, just looked at the meta. [spoiler removed]
Oh, that's harsh.
[spoiler removed]
I wish I could say that was my problem. There’s definitely something wrong, though. I still haven’t solved the WSJ or the MGWCC week 2. I’m close to asking for a nudge on both so I can go on with my life.
livpolfan

Post by livpolfan »

Ashore with a smoke and a pancake. A flapjack and a cigarette. A cigar and a waffle. A pipe and a crepe. A Bong and a blintz.
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

Another week still flailing at sea on Sunday evening (though I got off to a later start with this meta). The last month or so has been an embarrassingly rough run for me as far as the CCs go; either I figure out the meta but don’t go quite far enough to reach the correct answer (surely I’m not the only one who threw up her hands and submitted an erroneous “H. G. Wells”??), or I remain completely stumped after exploring seemingly all the possible rabbit holes. The rabbits and I are bffs now.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Twas I with the asterisks. I must have had a senior moment when I chose that name. When someone commented derogatorily, I changed it. Apologies to anyone offended.
I am a man of few...
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

BTW I am ashore. 100%
I am a man of few...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Throwing in the towel. Will be very interested to see what it is and read everyone’s stories of their solves. This is rare for me so it hurts all the more. I am certain what I started with way back on Thursday is the right path but I simply can’t make it work.

Ah well tomorrow is another day, and Thursday is just a few days away. Stay well all!!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report is a little early as the tenders are sitting idle (and I have an early tee time)

The final count is 19 on the ship and 156 on the shore

The last foursome to join the bridge tournament are

802puzzler
rtwitchell
lbray
Bonnibel

while these muggles made it to the shore in some cases carried by the coast guard

michaelm
ajk
MatthewL
fuggedabowdit
mlvilv
Jeremy
iggystan
cinny
ReB
littlepigeon
higgysue
Geezer Weezer
livpolfan

Have a good week. We will see you Tuesday. Don't forget MMM and MEOW. And good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore with a few hours to spare...thanks to a helpful nudge. Fun puzzle!