"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Fair enough! Sreh26 it shall remain. Dr Tom, Ive used Plain Chacalaca elsewhere, so thank you!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:01 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:17 pm All, with all the witty and inventive screen names on here, Ive been thinking of changing mine, which seems mired in the 1990s.

Plain Chacalaca was one (thanks Dr Tom!). Snuffaluphagus was another, but Ive made no decisions yet. Poet Laureate is nice but entirely inappropriate given the quality of my attempts. I think there is already a Xanax. Lucy Van Pelt perhaps?

Thoughts? I am open to suggestions. I just want what’s best for all of you.

btw, some of my favorites of yours in no order are:

hashbrownoholic
whimsy
mntlblok
little grey cells
C=64
Senor Guacamole
Seadub
preterosso (the red priest! Vivaldi!)
periperi
otlaolap (paloalto backwards!)
As the possessor of probably one of the least original screen names I too have thought of changing (PUNBELLINA, PUNTIF, PUSHER, FARM ECOLOGY all crossed my mind) but I figured I had better stick with what folks know me as. I mean I don't want to affect my META MOJO regardless of how unMOJOy it can be at times.

SReh26 seems fine to me, every time I see it I think of bobbing along on the waves in a Sea Ray 26 foot boat (or a SEA CAT boat if you'd rather...). So given that the Sea Ray 26 footer is called the SUNDANCER I suppose that could be an alter ego, or naturally SUNDANCE.

sundance small.jpeg
Sorry DrTom I think I win the contest of least original screen name....first initial plus last name.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Dplass wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:36 pm Sorry DrTom I think I win the contest of least original screen name....first initial plus last name.
Not the only one. But you win as I tried to be somewhat creative with the avatar!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

RPardoe wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:49 pm
Dplass wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:36 pm Sorry DrTom I think I win the contest of least original screen name....first initial plus last name.
Not the only one. But you win as I tried to be somewhat creative with the avatar!
I cant get a pic in my avatar. 😢 They say its too many pixels or something.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:01 pm
The avatar picture has to be 180X180pixels and not greater than 20K (I make mine 19K). If you have a picture that you want made into avatar size, send it to me in a PM and I will send it back to you.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm
rtwitchell wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:00 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:04 pm
Send a PM to Brian Mac and Joe Ross. In general we have not gotten in the habit of changing names. The only time I am aware that we have done it is when we had a Ladybyrd (now Jennybyrd) and a Ladybird at the same time. We have lived with joe, joes, joedbee, joevdz, Joey Avacado, Joe and Cathy, joequavis, JoePickett, and Joe Ross. We have two Tom Wilson's, one of which is 31Down, three Beth's (A, C and T), and Olaf and an Olof.
No Crazy Joe, Joe D, Joe Friday?
Richard

Post by Richard »

OOPs

Forgot to post that I am on shore.

Took longer than it should have but not this long.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:01 pm
There are instructions for re-sizing a picture to make it fit at
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20

I think I'm also in the running for uncreative screen name.
Waxford

Post by Waxford »

Ashore…after joining the group two weeks ago and remaining hopelessly at sea last week, I feared that I was to be embarrassed once more. However, more careful study of the completed grid paid off. Judging from the speed with which others came ashore, it seems that I am in very clever company here.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Waxford wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:19 pm Ashore…after joining the group two weeks ago and remaining hopelessly at sea last week, I feared that I was to be embarrassed once more. However, more careful study of the completed grid paid off. Judging from the speed with which others came ashore, it seems that I am in very clever company here.
Have gotten *much* better at embarrassment since joining this bunch. Practice (being embarrassed) helps. *Serious* clever around here. Love it.
Last edited by mntlblok on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waxford

Post by Waxford »

Thanks for the encouragement. I would still wager that there are a few in the group who are running out of space for their mugs.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Man this is a stumper! After cruising the past couple of weeks, we (mom and I) are totally lost at sea on this one.

SOS!

Would anyone be able to offer a little lifeboat nudge to help me and my mom to get to shore? Ty!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Tonight - tried and tried.
Mañana - golfing and fried.
Perhaps I’ll catch the late tide?
One world. One planet. One future.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Colin wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:27 pm Tonight - tried and tried.
Mañana - golfing and fried.
Perhaps I’ll catch the late tide?
ok I am going to have to attempt an adaptation of The Raven. Colin is my muse.

Once upon a midnight dreary 🌙🌜
While I pondered, dull and bleary
Over a curious crossword full of metaphor

While I nodded, pencil tapping✏️
Suddenly there came a rapping
Messrs. Shenk and Gaffney, rapping at my chamber door
“Tis cruciverbalists,”I muttered, “nothing more.”

Ah, distinctly I remember
it was in lockdown December 🗓
And each Muggle group member
wrought his shadow upon the shore.

Eagerly I wished the morrow,
vainly I searched the grid
but encountered only sorrow, more than before.

The wise and radiant Wendy
and the talented Al Sisti
who always got the meta by page two or before
are renowned for evermore.
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Finally got to sit down with this one (it’s a race weekend in Joliet.) fell pretty quick but very enjoyable.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:04 pm SReh26 actually has a meaning but thats not it. And no one has asked me yet... because you are all SO DURN POLITE! Which I love, and it’s rare where I live.
OK, I’ll be rude/nosey and ask…?

Signed,
One of the boring first name/last initial contingent.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore. 🏖👒🍨
-Tamara
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

KayW wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:58 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:04 pm SReh26 actually has a meaning but thats not it. And no one has asked me yet... because you are all SO DURN POLITE! Which I love, and it’s rare where I live.

Signed,
It stands for shy deer 🦌 - reh is deer in German
S is for scheues, which means shy
shy deer was a nickname a German friend had for me
and the 26 is part of an address

oh I see various Muggles ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing, for the uninitiated)

and I wasn’t called shy deer because I’m shy or quiet either
there’s a long backstory there too
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

HunterX wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:23 am
mntlblok wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:18 am
Abide wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 pm Traveling today, but now on the masked shore of Rittenhouse Square. 😷
Can't see such references without googling. 7.1 miles from Germantown Cricket Club. :-)

And only 2.5 miles from one of my favorite childhood memories - that zoo.
I had fond memories of the zoo as a kid, using the red elephant key we had to activate the talking boxes. Then I had kids, became a member, and the memories became less fond as I struggled to find parking, drag the kids in and keep track of them, and eat the food made more for kids than adults. Though having the Lorikeets sit on your head and arms while feeding them was a lot of fun for both adults and kids.
I also spent many years riding the train to work from the burbs on a line that goes over the zoo. That made me a little sad, because you can see how limited the space is for all the animals. But it is the oldest zoo in the U.S., and quite a good one in many respects. Plus, it's surprisingly close to center city. When I go for a 5-mile run from Rittenhouse, I usually turn around at the Girard Bridge, just across the river from the zoo.
Had the pleasure of riding an elephant at that zoo 20+ years ago with my grandniece. I believe the pachyderm’s name was Gracie though I may be in error. Short time later I signed the petition to remove the elephants to larger roaming space. I still remember that ride and feeding the lorikeets nectar!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
KayW

Post by KayW »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:12 pm
KayW wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:58 pm

Signed,
It stands for shy deer 🦌 - reh is deer in German
S is for scheues, which means shy
shy deer was a nickname a German friend had for me
and the 26 is part of an address

oh I see various Muggles ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing, for the uninitiated)

and I wasn’t called shy deer because I’m shy or quiet either
there’s a long backstory there too
You were reading my mind 😉 but I think that makes a fine Muggle name.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.