"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

mntlblok wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:56 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:46 pm A KAS 2 for sure - DUH

Once again it took two more than capable women to bail me out.

I hope that the tiki lounge has a good supply of beer for the week as I definitely won't be drinking from a mug.
You gave up??
No, I did not give up. I just needed more than a gentle nudge so while I count myself on the shore, the amount of help I needed was more than what I would consider for submitting the answer to the WSJ.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

On shore with a cold pitcher of Tropicalia. I was on the mechanism for a while but one letter off. Good to keep the streak
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Hangin' with Isaac, feeling like a bottom-feeding flatfish -- I'm "floundering" <groan>

I "know" that I'm on the right track, but that "click" y'all are referring to ain't happening.

I'm still having a French 75 tonight, regardless.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I got a late start, but still haven’t cracked it. I came here to see everyone tell me how easy it is and convince myself that I can solve it, too. Back to Isaac.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:10 pm
mntlblok wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:56 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:46 pm A KAS 2 for sure - DUH

Once again it took two more than capable women to bail me out.

I hope that the tiki lounge has a good supply of beer for the week as I definitely won't be drinking from a mug.
You gave up??
No, I did not give up. I just needed more than a gentle nudge so while I count myself on the shore, the amount of help I needed was more than what I would consider for submitting the answer to the WSJ.
Guess I'm just surprised that you'd go for a nudge before late Sunday. Of course, me'n the wifey've been collaborating as soon as we've seen who can finish the grid first.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SusieG wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:03 pm I got a late start, but still haven’t cracked it. I came here to see everyone tell me how easy it is and convince myself that I can solve it, too. Back to Isaac.
no ratings yet - I know it’s August, but remember to rate the meta, people! chop chop!
sarc, no disrespect intended
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Ashore! 👻
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore tho needed a nudge, I'm pretending that I'm improving at solving these each week. 😍

And for today's cuteness, kitten Benny's life goal is to knock items off the counter so puppy Dora can destroy them. Never a dull moment

Peace (Mir)
Attachments
20210719_143155.jpg
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

All, with all the witty and inventive screen names on here, I’ve been thinking of changing mine, which seems mired in the 1990s.

Plain Chacalaca was one (thanks, Dr Tom!). Snuffaluphagus was another, but I’ve made no decisions yet. Poet Laureate is nice but entirely inappropriate given the quality of my attempts. I think there is already a Xanax. Lucy Van Pelt perhaps?

Thoughts? I am open to suggestions. I just want what’s best for all of you.

UPDATE: currently it’s between Lucy Van Pelt and no change.

btw, some of my favorites of yours in no order are:

hashbrownoholic
whimsy
mntlblok
little grey cells
C=64
creme brulee
Senor Guacamole
Seadub
preterosso (the red priest! Vivaldi!)
periperi
otlaolap (paloalto backwards!)
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:17 pm All, with all the witty and inventive screen names on here, Ive been thinking of changing mine, which seems mired in the 1990s.

Plain Chacalaca was one (thanks Dr Tom!). Snuffaluphagus was another, but Ive made no decisions yet. Poet Laureate is nice but entirely inappropriate given the quality of my attempts. I think there is already a Xanax. Lucy Van Pelt perhaps?

hashbrownoholic
whimsy
mntlblok
little grey cells
C=64
Senor Guacamole
Seadub
periperi
As the possessor of probably one of the least original screen names I too have thought of changing (PUNBELLINA, PUNTIF, PUSHER, FARM ECOLOGY all crossed my mind) but I figured I had better stick with what folks know me as. I mean I don't want to affect my META MOJO regardless of how unMOJOy it can be at times.

SReh26 seems fine to me, every time I see it I think of bobbing along on the waves in a Sea Ray 26 foot boat (or a SEA CAT boat if you'd rather...). So given that the Sea Ray 26 footer is called the SUNDANCER I suppose that could be an alter ego, or naturally SUNDANCE.
sundance small.jpeg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! Once was blind, but now I see.
Kevin
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:01 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:17 pm All, with all the witty and inventive screen names on here, Ive been thinking of changing mine, which seems mired in the 1990s.

Plain Chacalaca was one (thanks Dr Tom!). Snuffaluphagus was another, but Ive made no decisions yet. Poet Laureate is nice but entirely inappropriate given the quality of my attempts. I think there is already a Xanax. Lucy Van Pelt perhaps?

hashbrownoholic
whimsy
mntlblok
little grey cells
C=64
Senor Guacamole
Seadub
periperi
As the possessor of probably one of the least original screen names I too have thought of changing (PUNBELLINA, PUNTIF, PUSHER, FARM ECOLOGY all crossed my mind) but I figured I had better stick with what folks know me as. I mean I don't want to affect my META MOJO regardless of how unMOJOy it can be at times.

SReh26 seems fine to me, every time I see it I think of bobbing along on the waves in a Sea Ray 26 foot boat (or a SEA CAT boat if you'd rather...). So given that the Sea Ray 26 footer is called the SUNDANCER I suppose that could be an alter ego, or naturally SUNDANCE.

sundance small.jpeg
Interesting! SReh26 actually has a meaning but thats not it. And no one has asked me yet... because you are all SO DURN POLITE! Which I love, and it’s rare where I live.

And yes, I agree there is merit in consistency, much as a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. No risk of that with you all!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Very nice puzzle. Thanks Matt!
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

A couple of rabbit holes, but no closer to shore.

A nudge would be appreciated, we have nothing.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

sundance small.jpeg
Liking PUNTIF. :-)
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:04 pm

hashbrownoholic
whimsy
mntlblok
little grey cells
C=64
Senor Guacamole
Seadub
periperi

sundance small.jpeg
Interesting! SReh26 actually has a meaning but thats not it. And no one has asked me yet... because you are all SO DURN POLITE! Which I love, and it’s rare where I live.

And yes, I agree there is merit in consistency, much as a slavish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. No risk of that with you all!
Yes, I want to change my screen name also! After a few months as a muggle I have something more appropriate in mind. Can someone give me a nudge on how that is done?
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

rtwitchell wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:00 pm

sundance small.jpeg

And yes, I agree there is merit in consistency, much as a slavish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. No risk of that with you all!
Yes, I want to change my screen name also! After a few months as a muggle I have something more appropriate in mind. Can someone give me a nudge on how that is done?
There’s a written request requirement, a review committee, a majority vote requirement and a name screen to make sure the name isn’t already being used. 60 day turnaround time, minimum Fico score, 3 reference letters ...
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

This week’s NewYorker cartoon made me laugh out loud. We know our Dr. Tom is both a very dedicated doctor and cruciverbalist, but really, @DrTom, this double dipping has got to stop. . .
BF0CC440-F9FD-4F52-A49E-339D77B461A9.jpeg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

rtwitchell wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:00 pm

sundance small.jpeg

Send a PM to Brian Mac and Joe Ross. In general we have not gotten in the habit of changing names. The only time I am aware that we have done it is when we had a Ladybyrd (now Jennybyrd) and a Ladybird at the same time. We have lived with joe, joes, joedbee, joevdz, Joey Avacado, Joe and Cathy, joequavis, JoePickett, and Joe Ross. We have two Tom Wilson's, one of which is 31Down, three Beth's (A, C and T), and Olaf and an Olof.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director