"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Abide wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 pm Traveling today, but now on the masked shore of Rittenhouse Square. 😷
Can't see such references without googling. 7.1 miles from Germantown Cricket Club. :-)

And only 2.5 miles from one of my favorite childhood memories - that zoo.
Abide

Post by Abide »

HunterX wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:09 am
Abide wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 pm Traveling today, but now on the masked shore of Rittenhouse Square. 😷
Traveling, in Rittenhouse Square? Welcome to my hood!
Wrong shore. I’m at the original hood laid out by William Penn three centuries ago.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still with Isaac; now in my 3rd rabbit hole.

Here are all 3 thunbergias:
202108131ll3notavatar.jpg
Last edited by CPJohnson on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynthia
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Solved it last night, but could only post now. Power outage here, near Ann Arbor. Internet just back; still no electricity.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:ocean: :ship: :cry: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: @madhatter5 was prophetic :crystal_ball: in yesterday's MEOT - I'm HANGING OUT WITH ISAAC this week. Saw lots of :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: but no :gem: just yet. Reworked grid in Friday :sauropod: :newspaper: for first in a long time. Still nada. Hoping for post-enlightenment.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

Took me a moment, but ashore!
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Bobbing around the sea in my floaty. Catching small waves that lead to nothing. I think I'm going to be annoyed when I see it. If I see it...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Late start, but quickly done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

All the posts along the lines of, "Well, it sort of clicked, but I'm not happy with it...wait, now it clicked!" had me second guessing myself. So, I revisited the grid, took into account something that had been bugging me, and voila! there was the hard click, confirming my original answer.

There is definitely a click. You'll know when you get it.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

i appear to be stumped for now --
Capturestumped.PNG
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:37 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:01 pm Honestly, how do you guys get it so fast?
Well, basically, I arrange my work, exercise, and gardening schedule so that at 3:58 p.m. every Thursday I am sitting in front of the computer, lucky pen at the ready, hitting "refresh" repeatedly.
You think I am kidding, don't you.
Not at all. Remember when the WSJ was having problems and the meta did not come out until 4:25 or so. I had to write Mike Miller to keep an uprising from happening
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

steveb wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:08 am On shore. I got a late start today because I was taking care of this little 13-month-old: IMG_1833.jpeg
Yes, that is a cast on his right leg. We committed a major grandparent faux pas last month. Our daughter and son-in-law entrusted him to us for a weekend and by the time they got home, he had a fractured leg! (Not a complete break, fortunately.) The cast came off a week ago and he's fine now, but still, that's not how the weekend was supposed to turn out. We're still allowed to see him, I'm happy to say.
I doubt it was you. :) With that mischievous grin and adorable gleam in his eye, I'd predict that won't be the last of the ER trips. (And not all on your watch!)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

steveb wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:08 am On shore. I got a late start today because I was taking care of this little 13-month-old: IMG_1833.jpeg
Yes, that is a cast on his right leg. We committed a major grandparent faux pas last month. Our daughter and son-in-law entrusted him to us for a weekend and by the time they got home, he had a fractured leg! (Not a complete break, fortunately.) The cast came off a week ago and he's fine now, but still, that's not how the weekend was supposed to turn out. We're still allowed to see him, I'm happy to say.
Too bad you had to tell them. My mother in law and a friend had our son for a weekend. 40 years later we found out that they locked him in the car at Sturbridge Village and had to have the police open the door.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Abide wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:01 am
HunterX wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:09 am
Traveling, in Rittenhouse Square? Welcome to my hood!
Wrong shore. I’m at the original hood laid out by William Penn three centuries ago.
That's where I live. One block from that particular one of Billy's five original squares. Only one is no longer a square, having eroded into a circle long ago. And good luck crossing one of the streets around Franklin Square. That one is an island in a sea filled with frantic drivers.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore - fun construct.

Afterwards, went out and watched for the Perseid meteor shower. I found an app which will take pictures of meteors, but found only one hit out of the many images ‘triggered’ last night. I’m still figuring out how to insert a picture into a post, so for now I’ll include an ASCII version of the meteor image:

. .

Good health and good cheer,
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:46 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:37 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:01 pm Honestly, how do you guys get it so fast?
Well, basically, I arrange my work, exercise, and gardening schedule so that at 3:58 p.m. every Thursday I am sitting in front of the computer, lucky pen at the ready, hitting "refresh" repeatedly.
You think I am kidding, don't you.
Not at all. Remember when the WSJ was having problems and the meta did not come out until 4:25 or so. I had to write Mike Miller to keep an uprising from happening
That was a traumatic Thanksgiving Day, if I recall correctly.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Haven’t really started yet after completing the grid, so please count me as still on the ship. Thank you.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Friday morning muggles.

This one appears to be either a Kas 1 or a Kas 5 depending on whether you see the path or not.

So far we have 4 on the air conditioned ship's bar and 75 on the shore hoping for an onshore breeze to keep things cool
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Lmoire

Post by Lmoire »

I’ve got the grid finished but can’t figure out where to go from here. I’m new to the puzzles contests. 😫
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Lmoire wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:15 pm I’ve got the grid finished but can’t figure out where to go from here. I’m new to the puzzles contests. 😫
I've been doing it for a year and I'm in (on) the same boat. Hi Isaac!