"Three Little Words" - August 6, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Guy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm Hello Isaac my old friend....
Three word song from 1966, so Sound of Silence not a spoiler here. Heard this morning on a 1974 Casey Kasem American Top 40 rerun that it held the record for falling the farthest in one week from #1 position - all the way to #12.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

So, I hadn't been able to figure out anything regarding the meta since Thursday. I had decided that it just wasn't in the cards this week and set the puzzle down in my lap while I turned my attention to a movie (Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. Don't judge!) At one point, I looked down as I moved the puzzle from my lap and, BAM! The mechanism was staring me right in the face!

Happy to be on shore!
Konnie
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

Ashore! I spend too much time on these…
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Not feeling the ease of this puzzle...nudges would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Ashore! Thanks @ajk for your help.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:12 pm Cruise Director - SURELY you have our Muggle Numbers? It would be interesting to know.
DrTom,

Your number is 19891812525, but you don't have to call yourself that.

Dr. Rumack
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

mntlblok wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:09 pm
hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:43 pm
Grover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:35 pm
What an amazing coincidence! That might have been the first Ludlum book I read and I was left wondering how poor an author he was. I've never warmed up completely with him, but the Bourne series have made for some well done movies.
I binge-read a bunch of the Ludlum novels in the early 80s. After about four, I realized that I no longer had any idea which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't, and reading the first few pages of each didn't help. Then I stopped reading them.

However, while we're on the subject of 40-50-year-old fiction, on NPR today there was a short discussion of the Travis McGee novels, so that makes me want to go back and reread all of those in order.
Yeah, Ludlum's were mostly one big chase scene all over Europe. Ever notice that all the John D. McDonalds always involved something related to head/brain injuries? Think I recall that his wife died of a brain tumor. Long been partial to Florida novels - even Hiaasen's goofy stuff. :-) Oh, and the Hemingway Cuba/Bahamas/Keys stuff. . .
John D. McDonald, another product of Utica NY.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:32 am
mntlblok wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:09 pm

John D. McDonald, another product of Utica NY.
So, have now read up on both him and Leslie Nielsen this morning. Was wrong about McDonald's wife. But, happy to be reminded of Meyer and to learn that McDonald wrote a ton of other books besides the Travis McGee series. Shall have to soon run over and check out Slip F-18 at Bahia Mar. :-)
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are on shore! Son did a solo solve this week as it has been crazy at work for me. I’m not going to look at the answer until I have a chance to try to solve later this week. Happy Sunday.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am with Isaac. I did not see the mechanism as I filled in the grid. I did not see the mechanism right away. I do not have time today to go down my requisite umpteen rabbit holes before stumbling into the correct one. If I submit an answer at all, it'll most likely be a WAG.
Cynthia
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:50 am

So, have now read up on both him and Leslie Nielsen this morning. Was wrong about McDonald's wife. But, happy to be reminded of Meyer and to learn that McDonald wrote a ton of other books besides the Travis McGee series. Shall have to soon run over and check out Slip F-18 at Bahia Mar. :-)
...including Cape Fear. Love McGee's/McDonald's philosophical asides. My favorite, from "The Scarlet Ruse": “Today, my friends, we each have one day less, every one of us. And joy is the only thing that slows the clock.”
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

ImOnToo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 pm So, I hadn't been able to figure out anything regarding the meta since Thursday. I had decided that it just wasn't in the cards this week and set the puzzle down in my lap while I turned my attention to a movie (Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. Don't judge!) At one point, I looked down as I moved the puzzle from my lap and, BAM! The mechanism was staring me right in the face!

Happy to be on shore!
My dad and I watched that too last night! Welcome to the shore.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm finally on shore after getting a nudge out of the rabbit hole I was in (which was a lot deeper than I thought) and back to reconsider the basic puzzle-solving techniques. Thanks to @mntlblok!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, Thursday; and done, today (Sunday).

An amazingly good feeling when the 'aha' moment hits. Nice puzzle.

I like apple, cherry, pumpkin, and lemon meringue.

TFTXWD
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:02 am
mntlblok wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:50 am

...including Cape Fear. Love McGee's/McDonald's philosophical asides. My favorite, from "The Scarlet Ruse": “Today, my friends, we each have one day less, every one of us. And joy is the only thing that slows the clock.”
Love it. And, just learned that Cape Fear apparently didn't take place in NC. Once these clouds pass, gonna see if I can't go catch my limit of lobsters.
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

On shore. Had just about given up, but after a bike ride this morning, i took a swig of a protein drink, glanced down at my printed-out puzzle page, an saw something that might be useful. And it was!
I really wouldn't have given up, but my Sunday has room for other pursuits, now.
I'll try the protein drink again if i'm flailing.
Polar Star

Post by Polar Star »

I binge-read a bunch of the Ludlum novels in the early 80s. After about four, I realized that I no longer had any idea which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't, and reading the first few pages of each didn't help. Then I stopped reading them.
Exactly me too. I was stationed at a sleepy little base in England and ended up spending most of my time in the base library. Read all of Ludlums up to 1984ish and yes, couldn't possibly tell you the plot of any of them. I did though remember enough of the Bourne Identity to know the movie had nothing in common.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:02 am ...including Cape Fear. Love McGee's/McDonald's philosophical asides. My favorite, from "The Scarlet Ruse": “Today, my friends, we each have one day less, every one of us. And joy is the only thing that slows the clock.”
I recently read his book “The Executioners’, which was the inspiration for the Cape Fear movies. Enjoyed it and plan to read some of his other work.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

started this morning and on shore - the grid took me longer than I had anticipated and the meta was a classic Shenkism: don't know when and how is going to hit you, but you know when it does .
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

ImOnToo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 pm So, I hadn't been able to figure out anything regarding the meta since Thursday. I had decided that it just wasn't in the cards this week and set the puzzle down in my lap while I turned my attention to a movie (Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. Don't judge!) At one point, I looked down as I moved the puzzle from my lap and, BAM! The mechanism was staring me right in the face!

Happy to be on shore!
Was there an Abbott and Costello Marathon yesterday? My husband was watching one where the "mad scientist" was trying to switch brains between Costello and Frankenstein.