"Three Little Words" - August 6, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

On shore. Struggled with the grid, but quickly found the Meta. Hazy IPA for me!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Grover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm Reminds me that I want to now go back and re-read some of those Dick Francis novels now that I can Google all the unfamiliar British slang. :-)
Dick Francis novels are great. I've read over 30 of them and oddly found one that was bad. I say that only because all the others rated "Outstanding" in my critique list.
[/quote]

Got that with _The Osterman Weekend_ with Robert Ludlum.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally on shore after looking at it off and on many times and becoming more and more mystified as the number of pages exploded. :)

In the end I did something that I really should write on a post-it and tape to my monitor, because it's pretty high on my list of blind spots. :lol: :lol:

I shall accept the likely decimation of the maitai supply as my pennance and sip on some juice in the corner for a bit. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KFB

Post by KFB »

Found some odd [stuff] and googled all the hits that my kids likely would know about. (the day the music died was sometime back in the past century for this boomer) So combining these two circles creates an empty Venn for me. Any generous nudgers would have a grateful nudgee on this end.
Thanks in advance...
hoover

Post by hoover »

escapeartist wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:03 am Just like last week, I had to rely on google to confirm the answer on this one.

Heck, I never heard of George R.R. Martin until Game of Thrones was made popular by HBO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's because no one actually read George R. R. Martin before the GOT series took off. I've heard that he's somewhat unreadable, but I haven't tried so that's just a third-hand opinion.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:59 pm This all makes me wonder…what number muggle am I?? Do we all have a number?
We do, and yours must be quite low because your user_id is 169. Muggle #1000's user_id is 1410.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Our muggle number! too funny! Love this place! 😘🥰

1. Is there a cap on the number of possible muggles, like certain crypto?
2. Is there a secret key and ID booklet like a Swiss bank account, bearing your muggle #, known only to Bob?
3. Can we get car stickers??? I suggest XWM in a white circle with a black border.
4. a secret handshake? oh wait....
5. a theme song?

I admit I feel a twinge of jealousy of our 1000th muggle. Wasnt that an Agatha Christie novel? The Thousandth Muggle? 🙃
hoover

Post by hoover »

Aha! I'm on!
woozy

Post by woozy »

hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:53 pm
escapeartist wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:03 am Just like last week, I had to rely on google to confirm the answer on this one.

Heck, I never heard of George R.R. Martin until Game of Thrones was made popular by HBO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's because no one actually read George R. R. Martin before the GOT series took off. I've heard that he's somewhat unreadable, but I haven't tried so that's just a third-hand opinion.
He's very readable. He writes at what is about the 10th grade level. But as a writer it is not art. It's very "this happened then this happened then that happened. So and so thought about 'I remember when that happened and this happened. And it reminds that I have this personality'". And excessively long at it.

I only heard of him about the time the first Season of GOT was out but I read all the books before watching any of the show. They were enjoyable. But hardly high literature.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Grover

Post by Grover »

mntlblok wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm
Grover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm Reminds me that I want to now go back and re-read some of those Dick Francis novels now that I can Google all the unfamiliar British slang. :-)
Dick Francis novels are great. I've read over 30 of them and oddly found one that was bad. I say that only because all the others rated "Outstanding" in my critique list.
Got that with _The Osterman Weekend_ with Robert Ludlum.
[/quote]
What an amazing coincidence! That might have been the first Ludlum book I read and I was left wondering how poor an author he was. I've never warmed up completely with him, but the Bourne series have made for some well done movies.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Grover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:35 pm
Grover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm Dick Francis novels are great. I've read over 30 of them and oddly found one that was bad. I say that only because all the others rated "Outstanding" in my critique list.
Got that with The Osterman Weekend with Robert Ludlum.
What an amazing coincidence! That might have been the first Ludlum book I read and I was left wondering how poor an author he was. I've never warmed up completely with him, but the Bourne series have made for some well done movies.
I binge-read a bunch of the Ludlum novels in the early 80s. After about four, I realized that I no longer had any idea which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't, and reading the first few pages of each didn't help. Then I stopped reading them.

However, while we're on the subject of 40-50-year-old fiction, on NPR today there was a short discussion of the Travis McGee novels, so that makes me want to go back and reread all of those in order.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:53 pm

I actually read the first three before the show was even thought about. I stopped then because it got way too dark for me.
Heidi
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:43 pm

I binge-read a bunch of the Ludlum novels in the early 80s. After about four, I realized that I no longer had any idea which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't, and reading the first few pages of each didn't help. Then I stopped reading them.

However, while we're on the subject of 40-50-year-old fiction, on NPR today there was a short discussion of the Travis McGee novels, so that makes me want to go back and reread all of those in order.
Yeah, Ludlum's were mostly one big chase scene all over Europe. Ever notice that all the John D. McDonalds always involved something related to head/brain injuries? Think I recall that his wife died of a brain tumor. Long been partial to Florida novels - even Hiaasen's goofy stuff. :-) Oh, and the Hemingway Cuba/Bahamas/Keys stuff. . .
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Similar experience with Ludlum. I read The Matarese Circle first and remember enjoying it enough to buy a couple of more, and then I was done.

I moved on from Ludlum to Stephen King. I binge-read everything he wrote one summer years ago, which even at the time was quite a bit. I kept hoping for a good ending. I found the first 3/4 of a King novel exceptional. But only in a few cases was he able to tie up all the threads in a satisfying fashion, at least for me.

I'm currently on a binge with James Elroy. He's not for everyone - his stream-of-consciousness narration was a bit distracting at first. And, he is noir. His protagonists are anti-heroes; he explores deeply the dark side of human nature and the dark places people go; nobody wins in the end. But the depth and complexity of the stories, and let's say the "alternative narratives" he delivers to certain historical events, are compelling.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm Our muggle number! too funny! Love this place! 😘🥰

2. Is there a secret key and ID booklet like a Swiss bank account, bearing your muggle #, known only to Bob?
3. Can we get car stickers??? I suggest XWM in a white circle with a black border.
5. a theme song?

I admit I feel a twinge of jealousy of our 1000th muggle. Wasnt that an Agatha Christie novel? The Thousandth Muggle? 🙃
1) the cap is one googleplex
2) no secret key or ID. In my file, I note the number of muggles but don't give them an ID. Also note that because of how we started on the WSJ comments, I only count those who have stated that they are on the ship or shore only once, either on the WSJ comments or here. There are a large number of people who have ID's on the forum but have never commented that they are on the ship or shore.
3-5 - I leave that to all of you

As far as the Agatha Christie novel - don't give Matt or Mike ideas. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Finally shooed away all the rabbits that were leading me down holes and took a new look. A great 'aha' moment. Made it to shore all on my own this week!
Last edited by rosiegirl on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:12 pm Cruise Director - SURELY you have our Muggle Numbers? It would be interesting to know.
Sorry Dr. Tom - muggle numbers don't exist. I only note who is the round number muggle but don't keep track of it.

And don't confuse any "muggle number" with the number you are on the forum
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:09 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm Our muggle number! too funny! Love this place! 😘🥰

5. a theme song?

1) the cap is one googleplex
2) no secret key or ID. In my file, I note the number of muggles but don't give them an ID. Also note that because of how we started on the WSJ comments, I only count those who have stated that they are on the ship or shore only once, either on the WSJ comments or here. There are a large number of people who have ID's on the forum but have never commented that they are on the ship or shore.
3-5 - I leave that to all of you

As far as the Agatha Christie novel - don't give Matt or Mike ideas. :lol:
I’m partial to the Get Smart theme song 🤣
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:58 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:59 pm This all makes me wonder…what number muggle am I?? Do we all have a number?
We do, and yours must be quite low because your user_id is 169. Muggle #1000's user_id is 1410.
Very interesting! Thanks Hoover!