"Three Little Words" - August 6, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

mntlblok wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:39 pm
hoover wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:48 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:27 am I am on shore, as of 2 am last night.

It's a GOod thing that the cabana boy left a LIght on over the tiki bar since it was a little hard to find the gATHering on shore in the wee hours of the night. Couldn't sleep last night, so I had to find some otHER thing to do besides stare at the ceiling. Came downstairs, spent a few minutes looking upON the meta, and there the answer was. Now for some coffee plus (not "real" coffee as my husband and daughter say) since I need a caffeine jolt and the day awaits.
Ohhh.... I started to reply, "Is there an extra H in that word?"

It wasn't until I clicked Reply/Quote that I realized that what I was reading as GO ATH HER ON i.e. Goat (H) Heron is actually GO LI ATH HER ON i.e. Goliath Heron. :oops: Not sure what a goat heron would be. Maybe like a cattle egret but for goats?

Oh look, you really can find anything on the Internet!
I actually googled goat heron before finding the "LI". :-)
How capricious of you!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Patty

Post by Patty »

On the beach!
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

So far, the clue for 60 across accurately describes my effort. Frustrating, as it appears to be an easy puzzle for most.
Shuffleboard, anyone ?
Jim
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:17 pm Good morning muggles

First a welcome to our newest muggles RussHiggins (who we welcomed to our zoom call last Tuesday), Colin&Chuck, Puzzled, and Chantellebeal who because our 1000th muggle since we started on the WSJ comments.

A fun contest from Mr. Shenk and we have 10 on the ship and 168 on the shore.
confetti-54.gif
And how glad are you that you're not having to post these reports on the WSJ site, 1000 characters at a time!
Thanks, @BrianMac!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm still with Isaac. I'll be looking for nudges soon as none of my ideas has led me ashore. I'm taking it from the other comments that it's an "Aha!" rather than a "could be..." so I've tried to limit the depth of my rabbit holes.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

got beamed to the Bar, so present situation chillin' with Isaac. Hoping the alcohol can unstick me.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Count me on the ship. Usually saying this will help me see something. Let’s see if it works today.
Matt / Flamingbear
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

4 minutes. That’s all it took to swim from admitting stuck to sitting on the beach. It’s early so I’m having water. (Note, it did work this time as well)
Matt / Flamingbear
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hello Isaac my old friend....
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I’m on the beach. Had to put it down for a while, then saw it immediately when I came back to the puzzle.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Aha.
[With much eye-rolling, forehead slapping and relief that my Ah-ha moment this week happened *before* seeing the answer posted...]
So, adios Issac, and HELLO, CABANA!! (Just a seltzer for me, please--I'll donate my drink ticket to one of you lushier Muggles...) :D
Kas

Post by Kas »

b4alltime wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:57 pm So far, the clue for 60 across accurately describes my effort. Frustrating, as it appears to be an easy puzzle for most.
Shuffleboard, anyone ?
Jim
...I get that a lot, Jim. You're in good company.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

flamingbear wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:44 pm 4 minutes. That’s all it took to swim from admitting stuck to sitting on the beach. It’s early so I’m having water. (Note, it did work this time as well)
That's hilarious!
periperi

Post by periperi »

I am also belatedly onshore.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Guy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm Hello Isaac my old friend....
I’ve come to drink with you again....
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I just washed up on the beach. Beer me!
Grover

Post by Grover »

Reminds me that I want to now go back and re-read some of those Dick Francis novels now that I can Google all the unfamiliar British slang. :-)
[/quote]

Dick Francis novels are great. I've read over 30 of them and oddly found one that was bad. I say that only because all the others rated "Outstanding" in my critique list.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Kas wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 pm Aha.
[With much eye-rolling, forehead slapping and relief that my Ah-ha moment this week happened *before* seeing the answer posted...]
So, adios Issac, and HELLO, CABANA!! (Just a seltzer for me, please--I'll donate my drink ticket to one of you lushier Muggles...) :D
A clear KAS 2
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Ashore for the first time since the "easy" weeks of February! Last night I was sure I had found the mechanism, but, alas, it didn't work. I put it down but was able to sleep! Just now I picked it up and looked at a slight variation of my original mechanism. There it was. Funny how that works.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

On shore!

I can see how some solvers might get really close to the right answer without getting something intelligible. Seems like the devil is really in the details on this one.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.