NYT to discontiune support of Across Lite

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BrianMac
Site Admin

NYT to discontiune support of Across Lite

Post by BrianMac »

Boooooo! :cry: :cry: :cry:

As of August 10.

Not sure I'm going to continue my crossword subscription, since this has been the only way I've solved the NYT puzzle for over a year now.
Meg

Post by Meg »

This makes me very unhappy!! And I just paid for the year. I always print out my puzzles, so I’ll have to do some investigating. Looks like the print option has an ink saver option, so I’m good.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
architect

Post by architect »

Very unhappy about this too, and I've sent my comments to the NYTimes address and to WShortz himself.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Dastardly!!!
boharr

Post by boharr »

They are trying to keep you in the ecosystem, an Apple like strategy.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

I have preferentially used the specific NYTimes app on an iPad without issue. 1557 days.
-Tamara
BethA

Post by BethA »

I’m very happy with Puzzazz on my iPad. For the really crazy contortions (nonstandard grids) sometimes used, it always comes through beautifully! Have used it with NYT for years. It says I’ve solved 2484 puzzles in it, but that does include some others besides NYT that I’ve added this year!

Highly recommend!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

BethA wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 pm I’m very happy with Puzzazz on my iPad. For the really crazy contortions (nonstandard grids) sometimes used, it always comes through beautifully! Have used it with NYT for years. It says I’ve solved 2484 puzzles in it, but that does include some others besides NYT that I’ve added this year!

Highly recommend!
I use Puzzazz too, but that app relies on the Across Lite format, so kiss it goodbye as of next week for NYT puzzles. :cry:
Inca

Post by Inca »

Oh well, I guess that's the end of the NYT puzzle for me.
BethA

Post by BethA »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 pm
BethA wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 pm I’m very happy with Puzzazz on my iPad. For the really crazy contortions (nonstandard grids) sometimes used, it always comes through beautifully! Have used it with NYT for years. It says I’ve solved 2484 puzzles in it, but that does include some others besides NYT that I’ve added this year!

Highly recommend!
I use Puzzazz too, but that app relies on the Across Lite format, so kiss it goodbye as of next week for NYT puzzles. :cry:
Thanks, Brian, I didn’t read carefully enough at first.

I’m horrified! I also recently renewed my NYT subscription.

Edit: I don’t know, it says “on that platform” (AcrossLite). I’m writing to the Puzzazz people to see what they say.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I solved with AL for oodles of years. The web app is now just as good a solving experience, plus it tracks statistics like average and best Friday solve time, etc., and it remembers your progress on a puzzle if you move to another machine, whatever the platform. I prefer it to AL. It does, though, lure me into doing the evil Spelling Bee.

The WSJ app, on the other hand . . .
BethA

Post by BethA »

I sent to puzzazz@puzzazz.com on Tuesday because the web form wouldn’t accept my note which included the link to the NYT announcement. Followed up later using their form and a shortened version of the question. I haven’t received any response to either. Surprised because in the past they have been very responsive. I guess I’ll find out on August 10.

I prefer not to be forced to use different user interfaces for puzzles from different sources. Even if all the interfaces for NYT, LAT, WSJ, etc, were GREAT, they would still be different. The difference is what trips up my fingers while solving. This is my motivation in wanting ongoing support in Puzzazz.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

BethA wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 pm I sent to puzzazz@puzzazz.com on Tuesday because the web form wouldn’t accept my note which included the link to the NYT announcement. Followed up later using their form and a shortened version of the question. I haven’t received any response to either. Surprised because in the past they have been very responsive. I guess I’ll find out on August 10.

I prefer not to be forced to use different user interfaces for puzzles from different sources. Even if all the interfaces for NYT, LAT, WSJ, etc, were GREAT, they would still be different. The difference is what trips up my fingers while solving. This is my motivation in wanting ongoing support in Puzzazz.
Sorry to dash your hopes, Beth, but starting August 10, the NYT app or website will be the only way to solve NYT electronically. The Twitterverse is up in arms and the story has been picked some online media: BBC Article, Verge Article.

The NYT web solver is definitely serviceable (unlike WSJ as Hector pointed out), but I don't really want to know my streaks or average times. Mostly, though, when I go on vacation or a long plane ride, I can download a bunch NYT puzzles onto Puzzazz and solve them without having internet connection. Also, as many people on Twitter are pointing out, Puzzazz often does a much better job of rendering unusual grids (letters outside the grid, oddly shaped grids, visual elements, etc.) than the NYT programs do.
Hector

Post by Hector »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:25 pm when I go on vacation or a long plane ride, I can download a bunch NYT puzzles onto Puzzazz and solve them without having internet connection.
This is a good point. What I've been doing in that scenario is to open all the puzzles I want to take with me in browser tabs.
Olof

Post by Olof »

The developer behind Black Ink, the Mac (and soon, iOS) app I use for crosswords, announced today that the new version has new support for the NYT crossword:
New in Black Ink 2.1.7: Download New York Times puzzles to solve on your Mac without requiring the Across Lite Format!
https://redsweater.com/blackink/
Abide

Post by Abide »

The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BethA

Post by BethA »

Abide wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:16 pm So NYT is available via Puzzazz?

https://content.puzzazz.com/leaderboard ... 2021/08/11
It has continued to automatically download nightly at 10pm so far this week as usual, for me. I’m holding my breath that it keeps going.

The Puzzazz people never did respond directly to me, but their Twitter posts give the impression that they are being shut out of NYT puz files, too.

(I hadn’t looked at that leaderboard for ages. That’s me at #11!)

Ps. I do pay for an NYT puzzle subscription and solve in Puzzazz on iPad.
BethA

Post by BethA »

It has continued to work for me. Finally received some official word from Puzzazz via a newsletter. Following is an excerpt from it covering the pertinent info.

——————

Still supporting the New York Times crossword!

We know a lot of you rely on Puzzazz to solve the NYT crossword, and that you love how we faithfully present the newspaper version of the puzzle every day, something even the NYT's own app doesn't do. For a while, it looked like the NYT wouldn't allow us to continue doing that.

We have never received any revenue from doing this — in fact, it costs us money every year. We do it because we knew years ago that solvers switching to digital was inevitable (and we were clearly right), and we believe that the best crossword should be solvable in the best app.

For now, we have not been blocked from supporting the NYT Crossword, and it's our current plan to continue doing so as long as we can. We're hoping that the Times will work with us so that our support can get even better, but we haven't made any progress yet.

If you would like to continue solving the NYT Crossword in the best app, we encourage you contact the New York Times with your thoughts. Their general phone number is 800-591-9233 and you may find their Facebook page and their general contact page useful as well. If you use Twitter, the hashtag #NYTXW is useful, and appropriate accounts include @nytimes, @NYTimesGames, and @NYTImesWordPlay.

Of course, whether you email or post, please be respectful and don't spam them. We'd appreciate it if you tag @Puzzazz.

As always, thanks for everything you continue to do to stay safe and keep others safe. Keep on puzzling!

P.S. If you want to help us, one of the best things you can do is to post a 5-star review to the App Store. This makes a big difference in people finding Puzzazz. Thanks!

——————
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

And, effective today, you can no longer solve the NYT crossword using Puzzazz. Don’t know if I’ll be renewing in January.
Abide

Post by Abide »

For non-renewers, you can solve in syndication for free

https://www.seattletimes.com/games-nytimes-crossword/
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald