"Three Little Words" - August 6, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Filled grid at midnight last night after a few margs - - thought it best to leave the meta til this morning. Turned out to be a good strategy. Quick swim to shore this morning and the cabana boy hasn't even shown up for work yet!

I've listened to music from the 60's on (I keep up with today's tunes), but have to admit that I don't think I've ever heard this one. . . .
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexleah1

Post by Alexleah1 »

Phew— ashore for the first time in awhile! Feeling beachy!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am on shore, as of 2 am last night.

It's a GOod thing that the cabana boy left a LIght on over the tiki bar since it was a little hard to find the gATHering on shore in the wee hours of the night. Couldn't sleep last night, so I had to find some otHER thing to do besides stare at the ceiling. Came downstairs, spent a few minutes looking upON the meta, and there the answer was. Now for some coffee plus (not "real" coffee as my husband and daughter say) since I need a caffeine jolt and the day awaits.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Safely ashore. First time solving the meta before completing the grid! Good luck Muggles!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

It's been some summer!
Glad to be back with you all.
Made it to the beach :)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:12 am I'm not asea.
Is that what we call a negative inference? 🤣
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Ashore! I'll have another coffee, please :D
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:27 am I am on shore, as of 2 am last night.

It's a GOod thing that the cabana boy left a LIght on over the tiki bar since it was a little hard to find the gATHering on shore in the wee hours of the night. Couldn't sleep last night, so I had to find some otHER thing to do besides stare at the ceiling. Came downstairs, spent a few minutes looking upON the meta, and there the answer was. Now for some coffee plus (not "real" coffee as my husband and daughter say) since I need a caffeine jolt and the day awaits.
Good to learn of this rascal. If I read it right, looks like he loses some of those large meals to others because he takes so long to swallow it. :-) https://pixels.com/featured/goliath-her ... macho.html
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I have not figured this one out. It doesn't feel like I've made much if any progress. So I'm at the overthinking everything stage, and could use some clarification. The hint says we're looking for "a three-word #1 song of the 2000s." Should that be a "a three-word #1 song TITLE. . ."? Or does this song only have three words in its lyrics? I mean I know a lot of modern pop songs are simple and repetitive, but c'mon.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

On the beach!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On the beach quickly this week, no rabbit holes for a change. Clever mechanism as always.
KscX

Post by KscX »

On shore with nothing left for procrastination so I suppose I’ll celebrate with some work and another cup of coffee. BTW hard grid, I thought.
architect

Post by architect »

On shore after a breezy morning solve.

I did go to Wikipedia to pull up a list of the #1 hits from the 2000s, and from this I've learned that I really wasn't paying attention to music in that decade, recognizing only about a 1/6 of the titles - and this wasn't one I recognized.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

norrin2 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:23 am I have not figured this one out. It doesn't feel like I've made much if any progress. So I'm at the overthinking everything stage, and could use some clarification. The hint says we're looking for "a three-word #1 song of the 2000s." Should that be a "a three-word #1 song TITLE. . ."? Or does this song only have three words in its lyrics? I mean I know a lot of modern pop songs are simple and repetitive, but c'mon.
Good point. It is a title he's looking for.
KscX

Post by KscX »

norrin2 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:23 am I have not figured this one out. It doesn't feel like I've made much if any progress. So I'm at the overthinking everything stage, and could use some clarification. The hint says we're looking for "a three-word #1 song of the 2000s." Should that be a "a three-word #1 song TITLE. . ."? Or does this song only have three words in its lyrics? I mean I know a lot of modern pop songs are simple and repetitive, but c'mon.
[Redacted]
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SReh26 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 pm
otlaolap wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:14 pm even though it was not in my wheelhouse but
Not to start a digression, what with the blizzard arriving on shore, but . . . was that a typo or is it a locution common in some are where you have been? I've only seen it in English crime fiction set in Yorkshire (if I remember correctly). There have been enjoyable digressions in this forum about dialect, such as Philadelphian or Bostonian, but. Asking here about the trailing but, but.
nah brah - it’s a rural thing! it means its in your area of expertise. I only learned it recently too. a wheel house is a thing on farms. or riverboats. or something.

oh whoops you were asking about the but. yo no se.
Well, "wheelhouse" is essentially a synonym for "pilot-house" though it has also been used to refer the encasing on a paddle wheel, the area of a mill where the wheel that is powered by water is housed, and even (we're talking 200 years ago) a place where wheels are stored. Though nowadays it is probably only used to refer to a person's strength or field of expertise.

But... I did think the question was regarding the "but." And any proper grammarian will tell you, it's spelled with an ellipsis: "But..." Ending a sentence with "but..." and leaving off the unfinished part in order to indicate that there are potentially many other possibilities which you can imagine for yourself, is quite common and not particularly regional.

At least it is in my experience, but...
kimberlysg

Post by kimberlysg »

On shore, in possibly my fastest time ever! I've never heard of the song, but I'm 100% sure it's right. I have to admit, though, reading through the tutorials that were sent out recently helped to up my game. On to the weekend!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

HunterX wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:00 am
SReh26 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 pm
otlaolap wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 pm
Not to start a digression, what with the blizzard arriving on shore, but . . . was that a typo or is it a locution common in some are where you have been? I've only seen it in English crime fiction set in Yorkshire (if I remember correctly). There have been enjoyable digressions in this forum about dialect, such as Philadelphian or Bostonian, but. Asking here about the trailing but, but.
nah brah - it’s a rural thing! it means its in your area of expertise. I only learned it recently too. a wheel house is a thing on farms. or riverboats. or something.

oh whoops you were asking about the but. yo no se.
Well, "wheelhouse" is essentially a synonym for "pilot-house" though it has also been used to refer the encasing on a paddle wheel, the area of a mill where the wheel that is powered by water is housed, and even (we're talking 200 years ago) a place where wheels are stored. Though nowadays it is probably only used to refer to a person's strength or field of expertise.

But... I did think the question was regarding the "but." And any proper grammarian will tell you, it's spelled with an ellipsis: "But..." Ending a sentence with "but..." and leaving off the unfinished part in order to indicate that there are potentially many other possibilities which you can imagine for yourself, is quite common and not particularly regional.

At least it is in my experience, but...
Can't help thinking of Mark Twain's reports of his hilarious conversation's with his riverboat captain mentor.

Have become a utiliser of that "end of the sentence" ellipsis. Even read up on em and learnt (from one source) that there should be double spacing between those "dots". :-)
brulo

Post by brulo »

on shore, that one fell into place real quick.
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

Not even sure what I am looking for at this point.