"We're Back in Business" - July 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Hello - ashore!

My three-letter words are ‘awe’ and ‘wow’ for the clever constructions this and every week!

Good health and good cheer,
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ericharrison1969 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:33 pm Sorry, Joe. That was me. Didn’t mean to show off. Once in in a while it comes immediately. I guess it didn’t come so immediately for everyone else
No need to apologize and congratulations, Eric! Sing it loud & proud!

My point was that there were only a few who mentioned "easy" in their posts & a chunk of them were iffy (not you) on whether they'd solved or that they found the meta "easier than the grid." I was trying to rally those who complain that "everyone says it's easy." The issue, I guess - if there must be one, is with those that allow that impression to affect their efforts.

I can see how people solved this quickly (I wasn't one of them). I've long been used to seeing the same amazing muggles in the 1 through 5 spots, 1 through 10 spots. Not only are they highly intelligent, but they are experienced in the ways creators construct. Super-solvers consistently apply simple rules & allow those rules to lead them to the answer. One day, I hope to grow up to be one of them, but it ain't looking good.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Obie J

Post by Obie J »

A little slow this week, but a stroll along the Lake Erie shore helped me make it to shore. Pour me a Dort, please!
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Solved! What a clever construction.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I just ordered a Guinness from Isaac hoping that it will help me see something.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! With help from my meta buddy.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Interesting grid this week. Learned stuff. I love to learn stuff!!
Will readily admit to trouble with this meta. But hey, that’s why I’m here! Some people read mystery novels to guess “who dun it?” I do meta puzzles.
It’s all good.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore ! Brilliant, elegant. It was difficult finding the proper mechanism, but, once discovered, it was a quick solve. Now, back to the MEOW puzzle.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Hmm. Hanging with Isaac, hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks. If I am in a rabbit hole (and I may be) I don't see how I am ever getting out. It feels a bit like Kirk in the Nexus, having not yet figured out that the horse is going to make the jump every time. Where's Picard when you need him?
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hanging out with the friends at the busy bar. Looks like there will be no joy in Mugville for me again this week, so out to the garden where there is always joy.
(Where’s my solving buddy Bob when I need him?)
3EF6F527-F476-4668-87CD-3812A3AD0242.jpeg
Oh-so-interesting white clematis Alba Luxurians, red Champlain rose, foxgloves and poppies.
7/14/21
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Swimming to shore this morning with a particular jarring song in mind. Same title as the eponymous movie. Will let you know when I reach the coast.

Edit: swimming back to the boat. Got stung by a jellyfish.

For a while I was doing this as a respite from my daily life. But now by comparison its making my daily life seem easy and relaxing lol.

On the other hand, I have the first two steps and its only saturday. So if I get another step today, I‘m kind of on plan.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Good morning all. You will find me with Isaac once again. I’m over in the corner engrossed in a book. See a hint in the puzzle, but can’t seem to put it to use.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Got a late start this weekend, but on shore!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On the ship with Isaac and my growing number of family members. Grid was tough. See things that should lead to the shore but not making the connection yet. More coffee please!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Well, the kids and I got a late start on the grid last night and didn't make it through before I had to back out for my dinner reservation. I told them to continue, but didn't hear from them one way or t'other. So I finished the grid myself this morning. I see some very tempting rabbit holes. But I am currently getting reacquainted with Isaac, whom I haven't seen in 34 weeks.

"Long time, Isaac! Coffee... black, please. That Manhattan nightcap last night is taking its toll. Gotta puzzle over this puzzle a bit."
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Came up with and submitted an answer that seems to make sense... but not the right one - ah well...
Last edited by BrennerTJ on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Tamara
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

YES page 10!

Well I guess I was prophetic in a way, I didn't make Page 1 (which is no surprise) and thankfully not page 100. I do have to say that if you found this EASY PEASY you are either (1) a wunderkind - and I know there are those on this forum as Joe Ross has mentioned) or you are incorrect. It was certainly solvable, particularly if you pay attention to what you are being shown, but easy NAH!

I got here only with considerable help so ASHORE but I'm not proud enough of it to submit. Shame because I'll be the mug odds are better this week - Ah well, there are other weeks to come.

Some through the grid they will breeze
And some solve the META with ease
I'm afraid that's not me
Cause I'm often at sea
While the puzzle has me on my knees
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Coffee worked. On the beach!!!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

So what seems to be the problem?
Well, there‘s this crossword meta, see...
You‘re having trouble with a crossword?
No, there’s a puzzle in the crossword after you complete the grid.
I see....
And there‘s a group of current and former engineers, math teachers, programmers, editors, lawyers and others on a beach but I‘m on the ship and trying to swim to shore.
But you can’t swim to shore.....?
That’s it exactly.
And what do you get if you make it to shore?
A chance to win a coffee mug.
I see....
And glory.
But its anonymous right?
Right.
I see....
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

CopperRiver wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:17 am Coffee worked. On the beach!!!
what kind of coffee!!! 😢