"Under the Table" - July 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:02 pm Muggles

Before we get to this week's final report, yesterday in the mail I received a package that means more than I can express. The mug pictured below was unexpected and appreciated a lot. This group is off the charts in everything good in the world. I hope it goes on forever and thanks to all of you.

Have a good week everyone and again, thank you very much.
Very well deserved!!!
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

zacmoretz wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:06 pm If anyone might PM me a nudge it would be appreciated. No clue on this one. Got the grid and I presume the theme answers, but I think I’ve jinxed myself staring at it so long. Thanks!
Thanks for the nudges! Got it!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:02 pm Muggles

Before we get to this week's final report, yesterday in the mail I received a package that means more than I can express. The mug pictured below was unexpected and appreciated a lot. This group is off the charts in everything good in the world. I hope it goes on forever and thanks to all of you.
Bob, even if that mug had been crafted from 24K gold it could not express the value and esteem with which we hold our cruise director! If we are good it is a reflection of our revered director (if we are smarta##es well that has everything to do with Peter, I for one am blameless....)

You and Brian Mac are the glue that holds this forum together, we all stand in awe of your service and dedication to a group of OCD nerds who love both this community and our shared passion. Where else could you find nearly 1000 people willing to be almost humiliated every week?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Well, a helpful nudge has moved me along and I think I have an answer that makes sense. So, I am going to say I am on shore and just hope it is the right one!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:58 pm
pookie wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:37 pm Bob! That's what happened to your avatar for this week! I was looking for that big yellow "ORB".
What a great gift you got from your appreciative fans (and crew, since you are the cruise director).
Congrats! You got the best mug and the one that means the most. :D
I second that motion.

And I heard through the grapevine (no, not really) that annual Croix des Mugles awards will be presented at year end in the following categories:

Humanitarian of the year (boharr a shoo-in)
Parent/Offspring duo champs
Most Creative screen name
Most Creative Screen Pic
Best Gardener
Proudest New Grandparent
Fastest Hiker (Hunter X)
Most Vociferous Newbie
Regional awards, esp Lake Michigan, Gulf Coast and NC

and special mention
Muggle Poet Laureate..... 🤣 (Its me vs Colin vs L. Savant!)
What? No Outstanding Punster award? :D
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210709 WSJCC Under the Table.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I solved this the difficult way. Paying attention to the CLUES, oddly enough, made this a lot easier:

hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Omg I didn’t even notice the clues! Genius!
Heidi
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

And, of course, "discreet" is synonymous with "under the table".
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:47 pm SS, I was distressed to read your post. You seem to be making a very serious charge of dishonesty, and against a talented, good-natured and delightful human being. I believe your remarks are not only unfounded but also antithetical to the camaraderie of our Forum. Might I suggest that an apology is in order?
Wow, this all happened today? Fortunately I was making music so I missed it all. Anyway, here:
Picture9.png
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Now I'm even sadder.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:06 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:47 pm SS, I was distressed to read your post. You seem to be making a very serious charge of dishonesty, and against a talented, good-natured and delightful human being. I believe your remarks are not only unfounded but also antithetical to the camaraderie of our Forum. Might I suggest that an apology is in order?
Wow, this all happened today? Fortunately I was making music so I missed it all. Anyway, here:

Picture9.png
Al, we never doubted you for a minute. Nice to show your proof...but for true muggles, it was totally unnecessary.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Inca wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 am

Picture9.png
Al, we never doubted you for a minute. Nice to show your proof...but for true muggles, it was totally unnecessary.
Thanks, and thanks to my fellow Muggles who stuck up for me.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I kept thinking table...table...maybe periodic table? And that's as far as I took that thought!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Darn, I thought it was “periodic” since the metal clues are listed under a table with that title. Never saw them in the grid answers. Elegant!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
pookie

Post by pookie »

I wrote this on Saturday @ 1:33
"My first thought when I looked at the puzzle was that of fear and dread.
"Oh no." If that's it, I should quit now."
Immediately upon seeing the title I thought "Periodic Table" ...I'm sunk.
Turns out it was what I thought. Sometimes it just clicks. This time I was right.
It sure doesn't happen often.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

The inverted “leg” (gel) below “end” had me searching for various tables in the grid with something going vertically below them, and spent way too much time on it even though it was clearly futile.

Finally tried to make something with banana and leprechauns being yellow and green colors. That’s when I noticed “gold” and “silver” in the clues and quickly found “iron” and “lead”.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:16 am
Inca wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 am

Picture9.png
Thanks, and thanks to my fellow Muggles who stuck up for me.
I didn't see this until late. We've got your back Al! You rock!
Heidi
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol given that I teach chemistry this seems like one I should have gotten quicker than I did. My first thought was indeed the periodic table but just quickly scanning the entries I missed the symbols (though I did notice barium a few times :lol: :lol:).

It was only glancing back at the clues that I noticed the metals and then it fell quickly.

My excuse for not getting it faster is that I teach organic and we don't mess with metals that much. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

JeanneC wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 am Darn, I thought it was “periodic” since the metal clues are listed under a table with that title. Never saw them in the grid answers. Elegant!!
That was my answer, too. Was wondering why I had so much space on the beach!