"Under the Table" - July 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

SilviaV wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:27 pm Still not getting anywhere. I’d appreciate a nudge if anyone has one to offer.
PM sent.
kimberlysg

Post by kimberlysg »

WooHoo--I finally made it ashore! It took me 3 days and multiple steps (some of which led nowhere), but the final inspiration hit just in the nick of time. Four weeks in a row is my longest streak ever, so I'm proud even if I cut it close!
Levi12

Post by Levi12 »

Struggling to even see where to start on this one. I see nothing still after much searching. Would appreciate a nudge. Thank you!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Levi12 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:37 pm Struggling to even see where to start on this one. I see nothing still after much searching. Would appreciate a nudge. Thank you!
PM sent
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Now is the time where I start to say, ok well if I solved it every week, it wouldn’t be a challenge would it? That doesn’t mean when I had dinner out with my husband, I didn’t ask him, so…”what does under the table mean to you?!”
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore with a nudge from boharr.
Had to revisit a discarded pathway from day one. I actually forgot I had tried it.
Once again, I have to chalk up my early mistake to COVID-19 brain rot.
A great puzzle from Mike Shenk.
And I now see how Al Sisti could have solved it in less than 8 minutes. Use an efficient solving strategy!
stmv

Post by stmv »

Oh, I stared at this for so long, I tried so many things, I was trying to force this into the mold of a previous meta, I was seeing nothing, and I just settled down with a Lambrusco Spritz with my wife for one last try at the meta and bam! suddenly it came to me, and there it was and I am on shore, exhausted, bedraggled, but happy. Ah well, better late than never....
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

hoover wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 pm
JoeS wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm Natasha and I are at the dacha about 100km SE of Moscow. Could not get interactive grid loaded on my phone,, was able to load pdf but no printer here so reconstructed grid on graph paper. Solving grid not too bad, but sadly, do not see mechanism. Title and clues imply this should be drop dead simple, but not yet. It's 95 degrees here and no AC so sleep is poor. Czech beer may be slowing me down also.We are 7 hours ahead so I have one last chance til tomorrow morning. How about a Moscow Mule, Isaac?
Dacha, is that Russian for "cruise ship with excellent bar service"?
Trust me, it’s not!!!!!!!!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:17 pm Muggles, like Hobbits, are peaceable, loyal and slow to rile, but when they do....!!!!!!
Yes, and we like our second breakfasts, too!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Onshore—finally! I had seen two of the pieces on Thursday, but thought they were important in a different and incorrect way. I would have been upset with myself, had I not solved this.
Hopefully the tiki bar hasn’t run out of tequila!
pipster

Post by pipster »

Greetings all. Long time, first time. Was compelled to finally join the discussion by this meta that has had me beating my head against the wall all weekend. Last one that had me this stumped was the bad “smell” last year. Nudges appreciated. Cheers!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ashore at the eleventh hour with a "Boharr-ian" assist. Funny how easy these become when you get the correct connotation.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Surrender.png
pipster

Post by pipster »

Sometimes the internet is a wonderful place. 5 replies in 15 minutes. Kicking myself as I considered this rabbit hole multiple times but couldn’t make it work. Finally got it to click, thanks to everyone who PM-ed.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Muggles

Before we get to this week's final report, yesterday in the mail I received a package that means more than I can express. The mug pictured below was unexpected and appreciated a lot. This group is off the charts in everything good in the world. I hope it goes on forever and thanks to all of you.
Robert Stevens 21Jul11  7D Mark II 2731.jpg
And we have our newest muggle- pipster

That brings us to 27 on the ship for the week and 153 on the shore

New to the ship since lunch are

Inca
SilviaV
joes
pipster

And making their way to shore are:

Peter
regfish
rtwitchell
jimmyd
Fishoutowater
cinny
Cosmo
Olof
Mulligan
stmv
Jeremy
Fred
Cap'n Rick

Have a good week everyone and again, thank you very much.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Meta Daughter to the rescue! We have solved, mostly due to her excellent intuition. (We arrived home at 11:15 pm Saturday night; she flew into Knoxville. Today was full of visits with family and friends, so we tackled the meta just a short while ago. Her 25-hour trip plus the day's activities have left her exceedingly tired, so she probably won't even submit or post.)
Cynthia
femullen

Post by femullen »

We are the Woolly Buggers Water-Whippin' n Whisky-Sippin' Society, my fellow retired sailors and I. Waist-deep in the Shenandoah this afternoon, I flubbed the second half of a double haul when it hit me. Ashore.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
pookie

Post by pookie »

Bob! That's what happened to your avatar for this week! I was looking for that big yellow "ORB".
What a great gift you got from your appreciative fans (and crew, since you are the cruise director).
Congrats! You got the best mug and the one that means the most. :D
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

pookie wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:37 pm Bob! That's what happened to your avatar for this week! I was looking for that big yellow "ORB".
What a great gift you got from your appreciative fans (and crew, since you are the cruise director).
Congrats! You got the best mug and the one that means the most. :D
I second that motion.

And I heard through the grapevine (no, not really) that annual Croix des Mugles awards will be presented at year end in the following categories:

Humanitarian of the year (boharr a shoo-in)
Parent/Offspring duo champs
Most Creative screen name
Most Creative Screen Pic
Best Gardener
Proudest New Grandparent
Fastest Hiker (Hunter X)
Most Vociferous Newbie
Regional awards, esp Lake Michigan, Gulf Coast and NC

and special mention
Muggle Poet Laureate..... 🤣 (Its me vs Colin vs L. Savant!)
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

If anyone might PM me a nudge it would be appreciated. No clue on this one. Got the grid and I presume the theme answers, but I think I’ve jinxed myself staring at it so long. Thanks!