"Under the Table" - July 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Inca wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:55 pm
FKelly wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:42 am #2Post by Al Sisti » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Impressive display of speed. Al Sisti is the Karsten Warholm of the meta crossword world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDzD1UGTmk
The rest of us are barely out of the starting blocks and Al is across the finish line.
As for me, I'm at the bar with Isaac.
I thought I saw the mechanism, but it hasn't led anywhere except UNDER THE TABLE, hic.
I'm glad the MMMM was easy this time around.
I have to step in defense of a fellow muggle. Do you know Al Sisti? Apparently not. He is really clever, very nice and honest as well. He does not post unless he has solved it....sure thing!
I second the defense of Al. These are two separate games really. I don‘t think Al means he did the grid and the meta in 8 minutes, "just“ the meta. Which I couldn’t get in 8 days........ YET! But the night is young! Skills like this take time to hone! Patience, people!!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SS, I was distressed to read your post. You seem to be making a very serious charge of dishonesty, and against a talented, good-natured and delightful human being. I believe your remarks are not only unfounded but also antithetical to the camaraderie of our Forum. Might I suggest that an apology is in order?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

I made it to shore this afternoon with the help of a friendly nudge to get me paddling in the right direction!
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Ashore! Got a late start this weekend and struggled with the grid a little but glad to finish.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Natasha and I are at the dacha about 100km SE of Moscow. Could not get interactive grid loaded on my phone,, was able to load pdf but no printer here so reconstructed grid on graph paper. Solving grid not too bad, but sadly, do not see mechanism. Title and clues imply this should be drop dead simple, but not yet. It's 95 degrees here and no AC so sleep is poor. Czech beer may be slowing me down also.We are 7 hours ahead so I have one last chance til tomorrow morning. How about a Moscow Mule, Isaac?
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

JoeS wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm Natasha and I are at the dacha about 100km SE of Moscow. Could not get interactive grid loaded on my phone,, was able to load pdf but no printer here so reconstructed grid on graph paper. Solving grid not too bad, but sadly, do not see mechanism. Title and clues imply this should be drop dead simple, but not yet. It's 95 degrees here and no AC so sleep is poor. Czech beer may be slowing me down also.We are 7 hours ahead so I have one last chance til tomorrow morning. How about a Moscow Mule, Isaac?
You are aware the meta is a bourgeois, intellectual, parasitic Western passtime that creates nothing, aren’t you, comrade?
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

Slow going on this one thus far. I’m still on the boat.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Started yesterday afternoon — it took a few hours and revisits to turn the tables

Now back to your regularly scheduled InquiSISTIon…
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
hoover

Post by hoover »

JoeS wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm Natasha and I are at the dacha about 100km SE of Moscow. Could not get interactive grid loaded on my phone,, was able to load pdf but no printer here so reconstructed grid on graph paper. Solving grid not too bad, but sadly, do not see mechanism. Title and clues imply this should be drop dead simple, but not yet. It's 95 degrees here and no AC so sleep is poor. Czech beer may be slowing me down also.We are 7 hours ahead so I have one last chance til tomorrow morning. How about a Moscow Mule, Isaac?
Dacha, is that Russian for "cruise ship with excellent bar service"?
hoover

Post by hoover »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:46 am Ashore!

Wasn't seeing it at all yesterday, but a cup of coffee this morning and a review of the basics led me right where I was trying to go.
I am off to review the basics as suggested by AnswerPfinder and others.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:19 pm
You are aware the meta is a bourgeois, intellectual, parasitic Western passtime that creates nothing, aren’t you, comrade?
Da!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

On Shore aboard the "Page 15" Ferry boat. Thanks to Wendy Walker for a much needed slap to the side of the head!

I think it's Avaition Gin and Tonic tonight.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:49 pm
Da!
I forgot, decadent! 🤣
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:57 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Da!
I forgot, decadent! 🤣
Oh don't forget that one, the 10th dent is always my favorite!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ashore with a nudge. Should have seen this one without the nudge, but that’s how it goes sometimes!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Muggles, like Hobbits, are peaceable, loyal and slow to rile, but when they do....!!!!!!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olof

Post by Olof »

Ashore! Spent a LONG time staring at the puzzle seeing nothing ... then the AHA moment and I was on the beach in almost no time!
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

Still not getting anywhere. I’d appreciate a nudge if anyone has one to offer.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I feel your pain. I have hand drawn the grid a few times overseas. Not preferable but you can achieve success.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

All my rabbit holes have led me back to the ship's bar. I'm afraid I'll be stranded aboard unless I get some hidden inspiration at the bottom of the next drink from Isaac. The beach looks awful full and mighty fun though.