"Please Find Enclosed" - July 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore. The solution came to me as I was waking up this morning, now of course I can't believe I didn't see it sooner . . .
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Thought I was on shore but reconsidering. Still in the ship for now.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ashore before the 4th! Free to enjoy my cocktails without this in the back of my mind. Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ahoy mateys! I’m finally ashore! 🏖

I can’t believe it took me so long to figure out the answer. I definitely over complicated the path to the solution.

Enjoy your holiday weekend and good luck in the mug quest.
🇺🇸
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:28 pm Ashore.

And back from the 6-day Grand Canyon river trip, which was awesome. Did last week's puzzle after my return without looking at any comments, and solved within 24 hours, so my streak continues. Daughter did the puzzle with their partner, so they also count as continuing the team's streak. And here is just one of my more than 700 photos, because I just can't resist...
@HunterX , I want to hear more about the trip. Was it rafting?
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore, finally! I was working wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard on this one but eventually saw the light. Old Ezra 7 yr barrel strength tonight for sure, neat please.
Good luck Muggles and have a great weekend.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! I have to admit that this one didn't really make sense to me, but somehow I still managed to find my way!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles.

And welcome to our newest muggles - John M, MarkWoychick, architect, and ahimel

I do not believe that the Journal will be published on Monday so you will have to wait for Tuesday to be notified that you have won the mug!! However the contest closes at 11:59pm on Sunday as usual. So the solution will be shown and discussed here on Monday.

We have had a steady stream of muggles making it to shore, some with bruises on their foreheads from the "duh" headslap.
We have 8 on the ship and 150 on the shore.

On the ship are
EVJ
ahimel
Inca
DrTom
TeaJenny
JeanneC
SewYoung
copperriver

While on the shore are

Les
MatthewL
Kay
Mike H
stmv
paige
Scott M
joequavis
darth
mattythewsjpuzzler
mkmf
David K
Beth T
michaelm
Softie
pjc
Beth A
Tex
architect
sanmilton
higgysue
Chris
Laura
Schmeel
Jim and Anita
oldjudge
Peter
jrdad
Brian M
Jack
SReh26
Moi
ky-mike
mikeB
tonyrobots
b4alltime
Dannyvee
spotter
Wendy
BrennerTJ
RobM
whimsy
boharr
Dave C
SamanthaA
Jace54
Mister Squawk
ajk
eagle1279
Franklin
Rita and George
JimJim
Cindy
Meg
sf592000
Georgeall
dplass
Zach
streroto
Barbara K
otlaolap
Thurman8er
Toby
Prozach
WSJosh
JetStream
DannyWalter
C=64
docison
MamaE
M and M
Eric P
Zagman49
ADS
lbray
escapeartist
HeadinHome
mlvilv
Joepickett
kamashdas
Magistra
ImOnToo
Kas
hoover
TeamDoubleTow
Tina
Omnibus
Dow Jones
meowmiao71
regfish
Tmart
Steveb
sharkicicles
Diane
Josh
Al
Larrry
Lacangah
RPardoe
Heidi
Jackie88
Gman
auee89
Bird Lives
Powers2020
Nalugirl
michpuzzler
MarkWoychick
CPJohnson
KscX
JaneGummy
MaineMarge
Susan G
RichA2
diplomatt
mbryant
Janet
ladybird
D B Miller
iggystan
Kimberly
rtwitchell
DCBilly
Jeremy
periperi
kfahey
Richard
minimuggle
John B
Peter T
John M
Colin
RDaleHall
seahawks seashanty
Commodore
Debbie
Trey and Marion
hunkra
Jarrod
LittleGood
jimmyd
HunterX
bread-girl
SilviaV
802puzzler
Cap'n Rick
joe
Fishoutowater
JRS51
SusieG

Have a great and safe July 4th. Remember that it is hard to complete metas with your hands wrapped up if you are unsafe with fireworks
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WELL, finally ashore but not submitting - I was so close for several days. I had all the parts, I had the basic idea, just the wrong formula. I thought I had tried everything but it took a nudge to show me I had not. Funny how when you do things the right way they work.....

Times like this I am not a Muggle I'm a struggle....

Oh, and this one is for LadyBird - I laughed for about 5 minutes after seeing this:
Boom Chacalaca.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:26 pm WELL, finally ashore but not submitting - I was so close for several days. I had all the parts, I had the basic idea, just the wrong formula. I thought I had tried everything but it took a nudge to show me I had not. Funny how when you do things the right way they work.....

Me exactly! Thanks to @CPJohnson for tossing me the life preserver and pulling me ASHORE!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:26 pm WELL, finally ashore but not submitting - I was so close for several days. I had all the parts, I had the basic idea, just the wrong formula. I thought I had tried everything but it took a nudge to show me I had not. Funny how when you do things the right way they work.....

Oh, and this one is for LadyBird - I laughed for about 5 minutes after seeing this:

Boom Chacalaca.jpg
@DrTom I don't know if you heard the groan from Maine to Florida when I showed my wife your posting.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BeTheLight

Post by BeTheLight »

On shore at last. I think I didn't see the mechanism at first because while it's fairly straightforward to solve.... how did he create it? The constraints to get this to work! Impressive.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Boom Chacalaca.jpg
@DrTom I don't know if you heard the groan from Maine to Florida when I showed my wife your posting.
It then had the desired effect!!! I THOUGHT I felt a ripple in the force....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore. It was easy to overthink this one.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore, nice to have a feeling of accomplishment and not spend all weekend on the puzzle.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Had to shake my head a lot to get the neural circuits to connect, and now I'm shaking my head that I did not see it sooner.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore. A very quick and direct trip once I took my first serious look at this meta today, as things fell into place immediately. Some weeks you're homed in on the right wavelength from the beginning, and some weeks you can't see what's right in front of your face. Fortunately this week was the former case.
wb93

Post by wb93 »

On shore.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Got what I think is the first step of the meta. Need help with those darn numbers in parentheses...
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Hope to find some time to really look at the meta...so far way too busy and nothing has jumped out at me.