"Please Find Enclosed" - July 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Just not seeing this one....
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:52 pm Thank goodness, I am ashore! Went for a run (well, still some walking too for this couch potato to 5K gal). Sat down on the front porch to cool off and voila!

We're heading to PA so I'll have a Yuengling.
Congratulations!
I went for a bike ride. Now I’m sitting on my front porch cooling off. Still nothing.
Everyone says it’s easy except Bob who says it’s “tricky”.
I have great trust in Bob.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

Finally ashore this week after the last two weeks of dog paddling and going nowhere
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:44 am
EVJ wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:06 am LAS
Everyone seems concerned about Isaac having an empty bar. Don’t worry. I bellied up to the bar last evening and must have fallen asleep there because I’m still here bright and early this morning. Isaac is starting me with a cappuccino. I see step one. Now I have to find something “easy” based on the comments. 🤔hmmm
I'm right there with you! I seem to have COmpletely lost my meta mojo. I saw the first step while filling the grid but it's those infernAL parentheses! Looking towards the beach and I see a mulTITude of day-drinking muggles already lined up at the bar.

We leave bright and early tomorrow for a long drive to Pittsburgh. We're going to help our daughter and son-in-law get unpacked. Actually, I'm hoping that my job will be to keep our sweet grandbaby entertained!

And related to last week, we went out for dinner last night. A restaurant named Wildfire. Lovely dinner but it did remind me of last week's failure.

Happy Fourth of July and safe travels to all.
I've been to Wildfire! Wonderful food!
Cynthia
Janet

Post by Janet »

Inca wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:54 pm Just not seeing this one....
Put it aside for a while, do something else, and then come back to it. Usually I solve in the mornings, either just after getting up, or right after a technical meeting at work. I solved this one after a long discussion of coordinate systems and equivalent loads.

Good luck!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm ashore, after correcting one of my first observations. After the correction, had to go back and try all the strategies again. Then....think of another strategy! Why can't the correct strategy be the FIRST one I think of? That's a rare event for me.
Cynthia
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Ashore. Good to be here after several weeks at sea.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Janet wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Put it aside for a while, do something else, and then come back to it. Usually I solve in the mornings, either just after getting up, or right after a technical meeting at work. I solved this one after a long discussion of coordinate systems and equivalent loads.

Good luck!
I like the discussion topics. What do you do?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:46 pm Well I did find enclosed, thank you, so I’m ashore.
Now you too can see what color is enclosed in this poppy bud casing I’ve been watching “pop” open( papaver somniferum, aka bread seed or opium poppy)
E517112E-3CA4-49BA-B528-E17F36058B1A.jpeg
They seed around the garden in several colors.
We hit the jackpot this time.
As you know, open poppies bring rain. So do peony blossoms
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SReh26 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm
minimuggle wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:03 pm No day drinking for me. I got to step 1 quickly and have tried various ways to apply those numbers in parenthesis. At least I have 2 more days to go crazy. If anyone else is in the same position and wants to share ideas solving, I'm game. Happy weekend everyone.
That’s my one regret about being ashore. What do I do now?

I only do one meta a week. On other days I just do the WSJ crossword. Im think of trying two metas a week and wondering what would be the best one for a newbie. Someone recommended Pandora‘s Blocks. Any suggestions?
One becomes two which becomes three.....

Try the MMM because they are a bit easier, done by your friends and usually have clues that reference muggles.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore. (Head slap after aha.)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:41 pm
minimuggle wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:03 pm No day drinking for me. I got to step 1 quickly and have tried various ways to apply those numbers in parenthesis. At least I have 2 more days to go crazy. If anyone else is in the same position and wants to share ideas solving, I'm game. Happy weekend everyone.

I only do one meta a week. On other days I just do the WSJ crossword. Im think of trying two metas a week and wondering what would be the best one for a newbie. Someone recommended Pandora‘s Blocks. Any suggestions?
One becomes two which becomes three.....

Try the MMM because they are a bit easier, done by your friends and usually have clues that reference muggles.
I suspected this was an adult-onset, gradually worsening condition..

thanks, I‘ll try it!
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

On shore!

How come no one brags about page 9? I will! Anytime I can overcome the BRACKETS OF DOOM I am celebrating. Just broke the seal on a bottle of Talisker Storm. Wish I could share it with the willing!

Have a great 4th everyone!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:15 pm

Yes, I used to do only one meta a week ... I remember those days ...
Go to the Meta Calendar at the top of this page (ably organized by Peter Abide) and choose any of them! What have you got to lose but all your extra free time??
😃
Janet

Post by Janet »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 pm
Janet wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:09 pm

Good luck!
I like the discussion topics. What do you do?
Ha ha, I'm an engineer and we were discussing a particular launch vehicle and the proper way to calculate Peq which isn't unnecessarily conservative.
kimberlysg

Post by kimberlysg »

rtwitchell wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:45 pm On shore!

How come no one brags about page 9? I will! Anytime I can overcome the BRACKETS OF DOOM I am celebrating. Just broke the seal on a bottle of Talisker Storm. Wish I could share it with the willing!

Have a great 4th everyone!
I'm happily on shore as well, and I'll brag about it, no matter what page it is! I figure we've earned it, right? :D
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

Ashore. Pour me one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

SusieG wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:36 am I must be overthinking this one. Saw the first step and have an idea where I need to go, but seem to be missing something.

Happy 4th everyone. Sounds like some of you have some great trips planned.
This should be an easy one for you! You’ll get it!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Yea. I just got it. I can't believe I didn't think of that. On shore and ready for a beer.
periperi

Post by periperi »

Finally got around to it and ashore. Nice Aha.