"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Wormwood: Recalled for me the unfortunate nephew of Screwtape, the prodigious letter writer of CS Lewis's The Screwtape Letters.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

To follow-up on the baseball discussion & to bore @Wendy Walker to more tears (Yes, that is a bonus!), I will admit to failing on keeping a scorecard. I failed to secure a card nor did I print & bring from home. Besides, the game was much too exciting.

The Reds beat the Phillies 12-4 & MVP candidate Nick Castellanos was on fire with 7 RBIs, including a Grand Slam that put the Reds up for good.

We made the highlight reel! (@ the 8:37, 8:38 marks (don't blink), screencaps to follow):

That guy (sporting multiple chins) in the black Bearcats shirt at far left is me. Next to my left, in the black Reds ballcap & beard, is twin twerp Will. Pointing with his left hand is twin twerp George:

The 7 raised fingers are for Castellanos's 7 Runs Batted In, after hitting a double, which scored 1 more:

Looking forward to the Greenville Drive home game with my daughter, this weekend.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:16 pm To follow-up on the baseball discussion & to bore @Wendy Walker to more tears (Yes, that is a bonus!), I will admit to failing on keeping a scorecard. I failed to secure a card nor did I print & bring from home. Besides, the game was much too exciting.

The Reds beat the Phillies 12-4 & MVP candidate Nick Castellanos was on fire with 7 RBIs, including a Grand Slam that put the Reds up for good.

We made the highlight reel! (@ the 8:37, 8:38 marks (don't blink), screencaps to follow):

That guy (sporting multiple chins) in the black Bearcats shirt at far left is me. Next to my left, in the black Reds ballcap & beard, is twin twerp Will. Pointing with his left hand is twin twerp George:

The 7 raised fingers are for Castellanos's 7 Runs Batted In, after hitting a double, which scored 1 more:

Looking forward to the Greenville Drive home game with my daughter, this weekend.
That is so cool!

The awesome thing about scoring the game is reliving the exciting parts, though!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Gotta get them started young. Eleven years ago at Yankee Stadium.
SNV10604.jpeg
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

boharr wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:37 pm Gotta get them started young. Eleven years ago at Yankee Stadium.

SNV10604.jpeg
Anyone catch the 7 year old Shirley Temple King, Leo Kelly, at the Hartford Yard Goats game this weekend? Pics on Instagram #Shirleytempleking. If you don’t know the king (he‘s been rating Shirley Temple drinks on IG since he was five, and has appeared on Ellen and Drew), you are in for a real treat.

And I came VERY late to Instagram (2020), you could even say I actively spurned it, but its free, anonymous and a nice way to see a boatload of nice travel pictures, esp trapped at home in a pandemic. You can also post your photographic masterpieces and have people you don’t know „like“ them.

And yes, its the Hartford Yard Goats. Their chant is „LETS go, YARD goats!“ Seriously.
Last edited by SReh26 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:03 am The song, Wildfire, is universally reviled. No doubt. "Treacle" is its Whole-World Championship descriptor.

As an earworm replacement, along with a suggestion for another as bad, if not worse, I offer America's Horse with No Name.

Discuss. Fistfights & eye-gouging encouraged, but leave the pool cues in their racks, please.
My candidate is Muskrat Love--how was that ever topping the charts!

"Muskrat Suzie, Muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug at a muskrat land
And they shimmy. Sam is so skinny....

Nibbling on bacon, chewing on cheese
Sam says to Suzie
Honey would you please be my Mrs."
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Wife and I were at Wrigley in 2008 when the Cubs clinched the NL Central (No, we didn't pay for those tickets, and sorry for the low quality, best I could find on YouTube...)

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:56 am It's always a treat to have the brilliant Patrick Berry in our rotation, and this week's was a characteristically ingenious offering. It was trickier than usual, but you rose to the occasion: We had 1300 entries, about 78% correct (roughly our average percentage).

Congratulations to this week's winner: Richard Basuk of New York, NY.
Yup, that’s me, Richard B. Generally you’ll find me most often commenting around here on the cryptic and variety puzzle threads. Let’s Go Muggles!

Have a safe 4th everyone.

Richard B.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Chalk one up for us folks in the cryptics crowd!

Congrats Richard B.!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Here is the link to our Q&A with Matt Gaffney. There are two files - video with our cheerful faces and audio only. The video only shows the 25 who were on my screen at any one time. We had about 100 people on the zoom call for most of the time

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t6swn0lagyqd ... 0.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yib25falek46b ... y.m4a?dl=0

If you have any problems let me know.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Were the winner and stats published for A Sail of Two Cities. I missed it last week and can not find the post.

Thanks
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:13 am Were the winner and stats published for A Sail of Two Cities. I missed it last week and can not find the post.

Thanks
Bob,
Post #356, page 18, "A Sail of Two Cities" - Greg Roberts of Fayetteville, GA
Sara
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I for one would like to say how much I enjoyed last night's Zoom with Matt and cannot thank our Cruise Director enough. I think everyone had a great time and there were lots of crossword super stars there; Matt, Mike, Evan Birnholtz and perhaps some others I did not recognize. It was also incredibly social and calm - again a nod to our Director. I wish I could have stayed to the end but I had root veggies roasting and didn't realize it was a 120 minutes call. Let's do it AGAIN!

Gosh I love the Muggles!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:16 pm To follow-up on the baseball discussion & to bore @Wendy Walker to more tears (Yes, that is a bonus!), I will admit to failing on keeping a scorecard. I failed to secure a card nor did I print & bring from home. Besides, the game was much too exciting.

Great pics Joe - they caught you in full fun mode. I am assuming the guy in the grayish green shirt in front was a Phillies fan?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

This popped up on my Facebook feed this morning.
Attachments
noname.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:07 pm This popped up on my Facebook feed this morning.
OMG! I was JUST about to post this same cartoon when I saw yours. I'm wondering if we saw it on the same feed? Was yours a Church related site? Just curious because that is where I saw mine and chuckled immediately.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

With apologies to Lewis Carroll:

It’s late! It‘s late! The Friday puzzle is late!“

😱
P1h3r1e3d13

Post by P1h3r1e3d13 »

@Bob cruise director @DBMiller @SReh26
Thank you for the welcome! There is no better explanation than “Phred 13” I'm afraid. Like all great usernames, it seemed cool when I was a teenager. It does have the advantage of never, ever being taken, anywhere, by anyone else.