"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ky-mike wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:57 pm
ky-mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:24 pm On shore. Fun one from Mr Berry.
Page one finish and not included in the "on shore" count. Maybe I need to use bigger font for my posts ;)
Sorry - bigger font always helps my aging eyes
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

There is nothing like a weekend morning with coffee ☕️ , cheese breakfast pastries 🥮 and a completed meta.

Plus today is yoga day- no more poems. 😂
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Thanks to a nudge, I made it to shore last night just in time to enjoy the end of the bonfire on the beach.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SusieG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:50 am

Major league baseball made a major league mistake when they limited each team to only four minor league teams. Minor league teams are not only feeders for players but also fans. We took the kids and the grandkids to the Lowell Spinners many times and they loved the Canagators and dogs catching frisbees - not to mention affordable food. (background - the city of Lowell on the Merrimack River had a lot of mills and a lot of canals, hence Mr. and Mrs Canagator and then a baby canagator)
I go to as many of our local minor league team's home games as I can, and always bring my scorer book. One time I was there with one of my exes and was keeping score... I had to go get a beer, so I taught her some of the basics -- HBP, 5-3, K-2, etc. -- and left. A couple minutes later I came back with my beer and checked the book when she handed it over. "Cool," I said, "You're at the right batter and the outs match the scoreboard... but wait... when I left, the runner was at first, and now he's at second. How'd he get there?" Looking at the book, I see she'd written "HJW." "HJW?" I ask. "What's that?" She says "He just went." A couple more notes. Our team -- the Utica Blue Sox -- was once co-owned by Bill Murray, who sang the National Anthem at a game once, and this summer, the Hall of Fame will be welcoming Larry Walker, who played his first pro baseball game for the Utica Blue Sox in 1985.
My mom almost always brought her scorer book to any games we went to as a kid. And they were never major league where I grew up, usually little league. She said it kept her from getting bored.
As extended 2021 Dad's Day continues (so far we've had dog-friendly Wednesday night down to West Side Brewery and nine holes at the beautiful Devou Park last Sunday + an upcoming July 4th weekend with my daughter in Greenville, SC, when we'll take-in a BoSox feeder Greenville Drive game), my twin twerp sons + a girlfriend will be taking me to Phillies v. Reds, tomorrow night. You've all inspired me to demand they spot me a scorecard, along with food & libations.

In honor of muggles, moms, dads, husbands, wives, and generous, loving twerps world-wide, I will toast you all with every sip and notation of every pitch, out, hit, score, play, & RBI. Hoping to score the best play in baseball - F8 8-2 DP ③ - to end the game in the top of the ninth.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am on shore at #178 but do not see myself on the "shore report". I MAY be listed as lbary? Small matter.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

BethA wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:10 am 🌊 🛥 🏊‍♀️ 🌊

Somewhat lost at sea.
Last week’s was easier for me.
Sunday night solves are the most thrilling!
So no nudge for me.
I’m with you - last week was fine; this week is a huge problem. Lost at sea, but not giving up yet!
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Alas we are lost at sea again this week. Maybe one last idea but unfortunately not much time today to explore it. But Isaac is good company. Looking forward to zooming with Mr Gaffney! Happy Sunday Muggles.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Onshore at last. Figured out the path but made a silly error and had to get unstuck from that to get to the beach. Will watch the NL today with a clean mind and a cocktail!!!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:34 am On shore. I was trying to make a MGWCC week five out of this. Four pages of notes. When I finally simplified my method I found the answer in five minutes.
Four pages??!!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mitchel674 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:25 am I'd appreciate a nudge. I'm lost on this one.
So, does that sort of announcement get one nudged? Looks like it could yield near infinite nudges - or none. . .
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:20 am
SusieG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm
Is it a faux pas to bring a crossword (or two) to a baseball game?
A faux pas? Most certainly not! Your friends and family will soon get used to seeing you working on a puzzle at ANY sporting or social event. You should develop an "elevator speech" explaining to them that even though it LOOKS like the puzzle is complete, this is not a normal crossword. At this point there's a really good chance their eyes will glaze over; if not, you may have identified a prospective Muggle.
As our Cruise Director pointed out, I have brought my puzzle clipboard along to Date Night, restaurants, volunteer board meetings, fundraising galas, my nephew's track meets, family get-togethers, road trips, airplanes, the gym ... the list goes on.
Looks like I woulda learnt of the existence of such a concept prior to now. Always happy to learn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_pitch
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:27 pm My wife loved that about your ex. She can relate. For 50 years she has asked why the second baseman does not stand on second base.
Could be accused of a shift? :-)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:50 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:22 pm One more. In Thin Lizzy's song "Jailbreak," they sing "Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town..." Uh, "somewhere in this town"? Could that place be, oh, I don't know; the jail? Okay, I feel better now.
Any dud lyrics by Thin Lizzy are completely nullified by this: Phil Lynott & Gary Moore doing "Parisienne Walkways"
... and the eerily similar post-TL Gary Moore song Still Got the Blues
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:37 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:22 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:08 pm

...He always played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree".
Okay, here's my gripe about that song/band. "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" is used as a way of telling me you still want me. The next "hit"? "Knock Three Times," as in "Knock Three Times on the ceiling if you want me; twice on the pipes if the answer is no." Apparently talking to each other is straight out. One more. In Thin Lizzy's song "Jailbreak," they sing "Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town..." Uh, "somewhere in this town"? Could that place be, oh, I don't know; the jail? Okay, I feel better now.
The song that irritates me is Escape (the pina colada song). An unhappy couple, trying to cheat on each other, then they are happy to learn they didn’t know anything about each other but they like the same things. Quite improbable in my opinion!
Then I bet you don't care for Who's The Blonde Stranger? :-)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ashore, battered & bent.

Knew what I had to do in a general way. Couldn't do it. Remembered a major rule of engagement.

Excellent puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

mntlblok wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:05 am
mitchel674 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:25 am I'd appreciate a nudge. I'm lost on this one.
So, does that sort of announcement get one nudged? Looks like it could yield near infinite nudges - or none. . .
And that is why we strongly urge someone who wants a nudge to PM someone who is on shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

lbray53 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:43 am I am on shore at #178 but do not see myself on the "shore report". I MAY be listed as lbary? Small matter.
That is you. My fingers flipped the letters but that is corrected now.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:35 am
SusieG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 am
I go to as many of our local minor league team's home games as I can, and always bring my scorer book. One time I was there with one of my exes and was keeping score... I had to go get a beer, so I taught her some of the basics -- HBP, 5-3, K-2, etc. -- and left. A couple minutes later I came back with my beer and checked the book when she handed it over. "Cool," I said, "You're at the right batter and the outs match the scoreboard... but wait... when I left, the runner was at first, and now he's at second. How'd he get there?" Looking at the book, I see she'd written "HJW." "HJW?" I ask. "What's that?" She says "He just went." A couple more notes. Our team -- the Utica Blue Sox -- was once co-owned by Bill Murray, who sang the National Anthem at a game once, and this summer, the Hall of Fame will be welcoming Larry Walker, who played his first pro baseball game for the Utica Blue Sox in 1985.
My mom almost always brought her scorer book to any games we went to as a kid. And they were never major league where I grew up, usually little league. She said it kept her from getting bored.
As extended 2021 Dad's Day continues (so far we've had dog-friendly Wednesday night down to West Side Brewery and nine holes at the beautiful Devou Park last Sunday + an upcoming July 4th weekend with my daughter in Greenville, SC, when we'll take-in a BoSox feeder Greenville Drive game), my twin twerp sons + a girlfriend will be taking me to Phillies v. Reds, tomorrow night. You've all inspired me to demand they spot me a scorecard, along with food & libations.

In honor of muggles, moms, dads, husbands, wives, and generous, loving twerps world-wide, I will toast you all with every sip and notation of every pitch, out, hit, score, play, & RBI. Hoping to score the best play in baseball - F8 8-2 DP ③ - to end the game in the top of the ninth.
One of the best center field arms is Jackie Bradley who was with Boston but is now with Milwaukee. Too bad he can not hit consistently.

Have a great time. and thank for all you do for the muggles
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:35 am In honor of muggles, moms, dads, husbands, wives, and generous, loving twerps world-wide, I will toast you all with every sip and notation of every pitch, out, hit, score, play, & RBI. Hoping to score the best play in baseball - F8 8-2 DP ③ - to end the game in the top of the ninth.
And *this* one belongs to the Reds. Lots of folks don't realize that Al Michaels spent some time there. Oh, and "the old left-hander, rounding third and heading for home". Oh, and once sat in the outfield behind Vada Pinson. :-)
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

Still LAS. I have what everyone has but have no clear path. All my multiple manipulations have got me so tangled I cant see straight. Guess I'll just enjoy the cruise! Lol
Julie