"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Ashore now, after a friendly nudge.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

On shore! That was a fun one.
I like to score a baseball game when I go, too. It's fun to write the story of the game as it happens.
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Seat planted firmly on stool with Isaac. I brought him a bottle of Rabbit Hole (See post # 164). Have at it, fellow muggles!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Finally made it to shore.
Was not easy.
But it was rewarding.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Well, I'm ashore. A shore. I hope it's the right one.
I am a man of few...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

SusieG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:08 pm
My mom almost always brought her scorer book to any games we went to as a kid. And they were never major league where I grew up, usually little league. She said it kept her from getting bored.
Wow--that brought back Little League memories for me. My mom would always bring stamps to cut out at my brothers games. There was some charity that would send out huge bags of envelopes with stamps and you would cut out the stamps and send those back to them. She had a go-to bag with the envelopes and her little scissors, so she was always ready for a game.

The other thing that I remember about Little League was going as a team (and families) to Aristos pizza where you could watch Laurel & Hardy movies and listen to Jimmy McDaniels on the piano. He always played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree".
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:08 pm
My mom almost always brought her scorer book to any games we went to as a kid. And they were never major league where I grew up, usually little league. She said it kept her from getting bored.
...He always played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree".
Okay, here's my gripe about that song/band. "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" is used as a way of telling me you still want me. The next "hit"? "Knock Three Times," as in "Knock Three Times on the ceiling if you want me; twice on the pipes if the answer is no." Apparently talking to each other is straight out. One more. In Thin Lizzy's song "Jailbreak," they sing "Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town..." Uh, "somewhere in this town"? Could that place be, oh, I don't know; the jail? Okay, I feel better now.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore, with confidence. Had my drink (Pimm's Cup, in this case) before I solved, and I may need to make that a habit.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are safely on shore.............jointly rowing, however she was the captain and found the route first. Good to be there and enjoying the rest of the weekend.

Good luck to all........
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Still at sea. More than likely for the duration. I've been working on this since Thursday evening....grid came easily, but no joy on the meta. I'm not very successful with Patrick Berry's puzzles. WIll learn from this one, i'm sure. A Bloody Mary for me, Isaac! Thanks.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

I am reluctant to declare myself on shore, but I have submitted an answer. A really irritating answer but an answer.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

DianeA wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:54 am Still at sea. More than likely for the duration. I've been working on this since Thursday evening....grid came easily, but no joy on the meta. I'm not very successful with Patrick Berry's puzzles. WIll learn from this one, i'm sure. A Bloody Mary for me, Isaac! Thanks.
I'm right there with you. This is my first Patrick Berry. I keep thinking I'm close but haven't cracked it. Of course I immediately came up with an answer but know it isn't right.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Still lost at sea on a Sunday morning. Hopefully a run will spark some thoughts. So many ideas for solving that I'm seeing lighthouses everywhere.
BethA

Post by BethA »

🌊 🛥 🏊‍♀️ 🌊

Somewhat lost at sea.
Last week’s was easier for me.
Sunday night solves are the most thrilling!
So no nudge for me.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:22 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:08 pm
...He always played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree".
Okay, here's my gripe about that song/band. "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" is used as a way of telling me you still want me. The next "hit"? "Knock Three Times," as in "Knock Three Times on the ceiling if you want me; twice on the pipes if the answer is no." Apparently talking to each other is straight out. One more. In Thin Lizzy's song "Jailbreak," they sing "Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town..." Uh, "somewhere in this town"? Could that place be, oh, I don't know; the jail? Okay, I feel better now.
The song that irritates me is Escape (the pina colada song). An unhappy couple, trying to cheat on each other, then they are happy to learn they didn’t know anything about each other but they like the same things. Quite improbable in my opinion!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore but this was not my favorite methodology
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:22 pm One more. In Thin Lizzy's song "Jailbreak," they sing "Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town..." Uh, "somewhere in this town"? Could that place be, oh, I don't know; the jail? Okay, I feel better now.
Any dud lyrics by Thin Lizzy are completely nullified by this: Phil Lynott & Gary Moore doing "Parisienne Walkways"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7FGbuLpHNA:
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Colin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:13 pm Onboard, cannot start.
Hours on meta, now lost heart.
Anyone for darts?
I'll spot you a point: You have 163 to finish, I've 164.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

femullen wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:43 pm
boharr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:53 am
femullen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Bucky Dent. Well do I remember him, God rest his soul. I remember watching that game (and that play: palm, forehead) shortly after moving from LA to Boston. Sox in the World Series that year, Patriots in the Stupor Bowl, and in the middle of a multi-year Lakers-Celtics NBA series. Lived in Beantown for the next 25 years. What a great sports town is Boston! But in hockey, I am a Montréal boy. To borrow from my Red Sox friends, I cheer for two teams: Montréal and whoever is playing Toronto.
Um, Bucky Dent is still alive. It's Bill Buckner who has passed. No matter. Both shall live in our memories forever. Go Habs Go.
I'm glad Bucky is feeling better. But does this mean he'll keep collecting new middle names?
Nope. He only has one and it is written like this #$%^&
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
edbradl

Post by edbradl »

Still lost. Welcoming nudges for a sort of beginner!